We are that generation <phones>

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-09-2016, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2016 05:32 PM by Leerob.)
We are that generation <phones>
I realize that every generation has this kind of thing that happened right around their time.

But I feel something super big happened during my generation so far. I mean the aproximately the past 30 ish years.

When it comes to technology, the world made this HUGE jump from rotary phones to tiny pocket computers with which you can make phone calls among millions of other things.

When I was a child, my grandmother had a rotary phone. So for the younger people here, who have not encountered those.
This is a rotary phone.
[Image: New_Zealand_Rotary_Telephone.jpg]
You dial by putting your finger in where the digit is that you want to dial and then you rotate the disc to the end.

Ok so that was a pretty cool thing. Not everyone had a phone. I lived on the country side. My mom didn't have a phone. So when we wanted to make a call, we had to go to the phone booth with either a few coins or with a phone card that was charged. Mobile phones at the time were big suitcases for super rich people and absolutely not MOBILE Big Grin

Phone cards were cool. A lot of people, including me, collected them because there were special ones that that looked very nice. I had a whole bunch of very nice looking ones.

This is a plain normal phone card with a set amount of 12 DM on it:
[Image: Recycling-Telefonkarten---Ich-war-eine-Telefonkarte.jpg]

And this is a collector version with the set amount of 6DM on it:
[Image: 121rjt0.jpg]

It was also still the time where it mattered whether you call someone inside your city or outside the city. The prize was different, and calling outside the country was something super special and you would rarely ever do it because it was so expensive.
Nowadays I just text my friends all over the world or, if I want to call them, I have free services like Skype or Teamspeak or via Whatsapp and even facebook does calls nowadays.

When I was about 15 or so, those phone shop things popped up around the city. They had special tarif for calling specific countries. You would buy a certain value and input a code into the phone after calling special number. After that you could call the number in the other country.
I did that once when I had fallen in love with this Australian guy. I called him but in Australia it was like 3am... He still was happy to hear from me but it was kinda awkward haha. I had asked my best friend if I could use her phone for this please. After reassuring her parents that they will not get a huge bill on their landline when I do this, they agreed to let me do this and so I blocked their landline for an hour at 8pm Big Grin I practially lived at my best friend's place haha

When I was about 13, I would say, mobile phones became something that common people could buy too. They were now small and handy. They were kinda bulky still but you could afford them if you had a bit of money on the side. My mom was a single mom with a low income but for my 14th birthday she gave me a mobile phone. It was my little treasure. At school it was forbidden to bring your phone and when they finally realized that no one cared about that rule and about confiscation they changed it into, you are not allowed to use your phone during lessons.
There wasn't much to do with those phones anyway at the time.
My phone didn't even have Snake on it. Most of my friends had it already and they played snake during resession and everybody was competing how high their score was on Snake.
One SMS was about 15 Pfennig (or that ballpark) and I had a prepaid, not a contract, so I had about 5DM once in a while, that I could charge my phone with to make sure the Sim card wouldn't expire due to not using it. My phone was a Samsung

This was my first phone:
[Image: 6110.jpg?itok=WQC3qRBn]

I remember that one text message couldn't be longer than a Tweet today. If your message was longer it just didn't go in. You had to send two or three to say everything. So usually, if it was more than a sentence, you'd call because that was just cheaper.
I had that phone for a while until the battery didn't charge anymore.
I remember getting so angry that I smashed the phone into the corner of my room. I immediately went to go and pick it up to check that it is alright but it was gone... I guess the house completely swallowed my phone haha.

The next phone that I had, had a colour display. I bought it with my very first salary on my very first real job after college. It had a colour display, no antenna that stuck out, a flip cover, and a camera. The phone would completely fit into the palm of my hand, that is how small it was. The camera could rotate back and forth. Quite a gem for the time. I made so many photos, especially when I moved out and wanted to keep some pictures. I remember that the annoying 8 bit ring tones started to fade a little.
There were Ads on TV where they had cool ringtones that you could buy by calling a number or texting. Not sure. It was 2,99 Euro (yes we had now crossed over to the Euro). At the time, people didn't commonly put music from their computers on to their phones because there wasn't much space on a phone. And I had a computer by then but I did not have a USB cable so ... I just stuck with the ringtones that came with the phone.

I stayed on that level of phone until 2.5 years ago actually.
Now, before I bought my first smart phone, I was aware that there were smart phones and that they could do some cool things like calculate and use the internet. But in my head I was like "Well it's a phone, it needs to do calls and texts, maybe the time, and the rest of everything I can do it on my computer".
I had just had a really rough patch in my life and I decided that I needed to treat myself. I couldn't really afford to buy a good phone just like that, so I went for a contract.
And that sales guy ripped me off so hard... It's not even funny. I had no fucking idea what I got myself into contract wise. The full scale, of how much he ripped me off, is only clear to me now that I changed my contract a few months ago.
Here is what he did. I came in and looked around the phones. I had the intention of getting an IPhone because everybody had one and for once in my life, I wanted to have something that everybody has. But in the end, comparing phones and plans, I decided to take the Samsung S5. This nice salesman came by asking me if I needed help so I asked him about the plan and what it includes etc. And he explained it. My mistake was to tell him that this was my first smartphone and I needed a bit of guidance. BAD IDEA! He took advantage of it and talked me into a really bad contract. Way too expensive, including services that I don't use.
But the phone THE PHONE was fucking awesome.
I started by getting the stuff that everybody has on their phones right. I got facebook, youtube, such things. And then I found out you can have a flash light! I almost freaked out because my phone could be a flashlight. Than I found that there was a kitchen timer!!! And I freaked out again because OMG I can cook without obsessing now. Bit by bit I discovered how useful and fun that phones was.

And now I cannot imagine in what way you wanna improve "phones" by now. We are carrying the internet in our pockets! Our freaking mobile "phones" can do more than the first freaking space shuttle. My head is exploding!

I am in my 30s and I went from rotary phones to tiny pocket computers that just so happen to do phone calls too. It's insane... Do you understand how crazy my generation is when it comes to communication.
I am topping up my fucking bus ticket by holding it against my phone. Are you kidding me? I do that while I listen to music on the same fucking phone! And when I am done spending money with it, I just go ahead and watch a movie while I chat with my best friend via facebook.
This is so crazy... Don't you realize?

Oh btw, my new phone is a Samsung S6 and I love it to bits. I am sending my "old" one to my mom soon. She will freak out and I wish I could be there when she gets the phone but sadly I can't. Currently I am setting it up with a few things that will be useful for her and then I will write her a manual.

So yea, sorry if I sound a little stupid here, but if you are about my age or older, you probably get my huge mind explosion... at least a little bit....

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Leerob's post
13-09-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: We are that generation <phones>
I definitely remember the rotary phone.

My grandparents were on a 'party line'. I think there were three families on that line each home had a different ring. When you picked up the receiver to make a call you had to make sure that the line wasn't in use by one of the other people sharing the line.

I remember calling the operator (an actual person) and asking for someone's phone number and they gave it to you.

There was also the frustration with a rotary phone because there was no 'redial'. If you got a busy signal or no answer you had to dial all the numbers again, and again, and again. No call waiting back then.

I can still remember the phone number we had when dad was in vet school (he graduated when I was nine) - 232-9073. I used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized...now with my cell phone I don't know any, they are all programmed into my contact list.

I saw a picture the other day of people watching sea turtles hatching and heading to the water. What caught my eye? One person was using an actual camera to take photos...everyone else was using their phone. Wink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
13-09-2016, 05:54 PM
(13-09-2016 05:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I definitely remember the rotary phone.

My grandparents were on a 'party line'. I think there were three families on that line each home had a different ring. When you picked up the receiver to make a call you had to make sure that the line wasn't in use by one of the other people sharing the line.

I remember calling the operator (an actual person) and asking for someone's phone number and they gave it to you.

There was also the frustration with a rotary phone because there was no 'redial'. If you got a busy signal or no answer you had to dial all the numbers again, and again, and again. No call waiting back then.

I can still remember the phone number we had when dad was in vet school (he graduated when I was nine) - 232-9073. I used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized...now with my cell phone I don't know any, they are all programmed into my contact list.

I saw a picture the other day of people watching sea turtles hatching and heading to the water. What caught my eye? One person was using an actual camera to take photos...everyone else was using their phone. Wink

To call abroad, you had to call the foreign operator and they told you to stay by your phone. They then placed the call for you and when it got through they called you back with the connection. Sometimes it took all day to call from the US to Europe...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-09-2016, 06:17 PM
The thing that gets me is, I remember rotary phones, we had one and I used it to phone people. I remember dial-up. I remember not have internet and having to play in this thing we called "outside" *shudders*. I remember walkmans coming out. I remember us getting a VCR player was a big deal. I remember us getting a PC was a huge thing but it was a piece of shit and only had a few games on it and I was only allowed to play an hour a night. I remember my parents buying me and my sister a walkman for Christmas and losing my fucking mind. I remember all this shitty shitty technology and I'm only 25. I grew up with walkmans, before PCs became a thing everyone had, dial-up, before people even had dial-up, before mobile phones and I'm only 25! It does my head in how far we've come in such a short time frame.

Now I'm sitting here with my 32inch TV/PC monitor, custom built PC, my xbox one is right here and my phone that I can do almost anything on is here too.
I can download movies, music, games on my 2mb/s internet while talking on the landline. I can free phone any of you cunts no matter where you are with viber or skype.
I can play video games without a 1200ms ping. I can listen to hundreds of thousands of songs on my phone with my fancy headset or earbuds. I can take high quality photos with my fucking phone and send it instantly to whoever.

The generation after mine is so lucky to be raised with all this shit. I was basically living in the stoneage until my teenage years. Thank fuck when the revolution really kicked off it kicked off while I was still young enough to embrace it. It must suck balls to be old as fuck or even the generation before mine. I don't know how ya'll do it.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
13-09-2016, 06:34 PM
The phone I'm using to make this post has a more powerful hard drive than any PC or mac that I used in the 90s.

So... why isn't my kitchen a robot?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
13-09-2016, 10:47 PM
(13-09-2016 06:34 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  The phone I'm using to make this post has a more powerful hard drive than any PC or mac that I used in the 90s.

Because we already have something that can do everything, it doesn't need upgrading. Women.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
14-09-2016, 12:24 AM
(13-09-2016 10:47 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-09-2016 06:34 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  The phone I'm using to make this post has a more powerful hard drive than any PC or mac that I used in the 90s.

Because we already have something that can do everything, it doesn't need upgrading. Women.

It may not actually need upgrading but when they keep bringing out newer models, it's kinda rude not to try them.

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
14-09-2016, 03:22 AM
I can remember waking up in a bar in southern Germany at oh-dark-thirty, circa 1985... Crawling out of a window and walking to the closest pay phone to call a taxi. Facepalm I miss the DM. I thought the 10DM bill was very pretty with the sailing ship on the back. Disclaimer That was my younger, dumber days. Tchuss.
14-09-2016, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 04:00 AM by Gloucester.)

What? You mean it has more watts?! Big Grin

A late friend who worked on computers when you needed a forklift truck to move a 10Mb drum memory, and who was astonished when I showed him a 5" 100Mb hard drive, would have fainted at the idea of 128Gb in something the size of a postage stamp!

Quote:So... why isn't my kitchen a robot?

Mechanicals cost lots more than electronicals! We have pre-programmed cookers, microwaves, dishwashers and washing machines because the mechanicals (and the magnetron) were there first - part way there...

----------------------- -
Not so much the <phone> generation, Leila, more of the <communications> generstion.

Somewhere on the web there is a picture tsjen in a Spanish uni student social club (it says so on the sign on the wall). Out of all the students I think two were actually talking to each other, the rest were texting or talking on the phone. Now it might be the tablet as well thise are only devices to achieve contact with non-present people.

It is a good thing?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
14-09-2016, 04:36 AM
Until i was a teenager we didnt have a phone at all! My friends came by and picked me up for playing football etc.

Unbelievable! Laugh out load

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse