We are that generation <phones>

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2016, 06:21 AM
RE: We are that generation <phones>
Here's something you probably didn't know ----

What the rotary dial actually does - is make/break a connection on the line. I can actually duplicate the dialing sequence by tapping the correct number of clicks on the hang up button....

(don't forget - I actually worked sending high speed Morse code) The trick is transposing the numbers into "high dit" code characters --- i.e. a dialed 9 is thought of in dits as 5H (five dits, 4 dits) sent as a single grouping...

What DOESN'T work - is mimicking the dial tone to dial by sound..... You can't do it.

Why??? Because the DTMF dial tones are two separate specific audio tone sent at the same time -- not a single tone.....

It's theoretically possible for TWO people to do it -- providing they have perfect pitch and perform the sequence in exact timing.... I've never heard of it being done...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-09-2016, 07:26 AM
We had no phones except the landline at home, and we were going out by ourselves all day during daylight. The freedom! I remember riding to friend's houses on my bike and picking them up, and together we'd ride or play ball games or explore new areas...no adults needed.

I can't even imagine being a kid today with someone breathing down your neck at all times. It sounds horrible to me, whether I have electronic toys or not.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-09-2016, 08:15 AM
My great aunt had a rotary phone in her kitchen. A few years ago I learned she sold missiles to foreign countries for the US. TV makes those people out to be super suave people living in luxury. Nope. Lower middle class lifestyle. She could have been Mrs. Doubtfire, except *actually* a woman.

My grandmother had one of those phone with the punch buttons - we have newer models of those at work as our apocalypse disaster phones. Same phones are used at my old hospital in the ER, nurses' stations and patient rooms.

In middle school I had a super cool cord phone with a clear shell that had multi colored parts inside so you could see how it worked, the metal bell was turquoise. I shared a phone line with my brother.

We had a car phone installed in the family suburban in the early 90s - it was drilled into the floorboard and huge. Intended for emergency use only or for mom to call dad and say she was stuck in a traffic jam so he wouldn't worry.

I can't remember the brand of my first cellphone (I got it when I was 14 to make it easier for my parents to find me/know when to pick me up from different events), it went out of business, as did the service. My second phone was a Nokia that had snake.

My third phone was a Motorola Razor flip phone - it was sooooo much harder to text and drive with that thing because the keys were smooth. I never had to look down when texting with a Nokia. My fourth phone was the pink Razor - it had a colored screen and minimal internet browsing capability, but it was waaaaay too fucking expensive to use the Internet - every time I accidentally hit the globe button it probably cost $5.

My next phone was an iPhone 3. I've had smart phones ever since. I don't have a computer and don't need one very often - I'm on the iPhone 6s at the moment.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
14-09-2016, 08:18 AM
I just remembered *69 and the advent of caller ID!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
14-09-2016, 09:19 AM
When push button phones first came out they weren't the same as touch-tone phones (at least not in all areas). They looked the same but the buttons just generated the series of clicks like the rotary phones. I remember pressing the buttons and then waiting for the clicks to catch up.

Good times.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
14-09-2016, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 09:49 AM by Anjele.)
The rotary phones were big and heavy and could be used as a deadly weapon providing the cord would reach...hell, even the receiver could do damage if you whacked someone with one of those. Now our phones will fit in the back pocket of our jeans.

I do sort of miss the effect of slamming a phone down on someone. Clicking the end call button lacks a bit of impact. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
14-09-2016, 09:32 AM
(14-09-2016 09:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The rotary phones were big and heavy and could be used as a deadly weapon providing the cord would reach...hell, even the receiver could do damage if you whacked someone with one of those. Now our phones will fit in the back pocket of your jeans.

I do sort of miss the effect of slamming a phone down on someone. Clicking the end call button lacks a bit of impact. Undecided

"Go to hell you sumbitch!" *bleep beep* Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
14-09-2016, 09:33 AM
(14-09-2016 06:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Here's something you probably didn't know ----

What the rotary dial actually does - is make/break a connection on the line. I can actually duplicate the dialing sequence by tapping the correct number of clicks on the hang up button....

(don't forget - I actually worked sending high speed Morse code) The trick is transposing the numbers into "high dit" code characters --- i.e. a dialed 9 is thought of in dits as 5H (five dits, 4 dits) sent as a single grouping...

What DOESN'T work - is mimicking the dial tone to dial by sound..... You can't do it.

Why??? Because the DTMF dial tones are two separate specific audio tone sent at the same time -- not a single tone.....

It's theoretically possible for TWO people to do it -- providing they have perfect pitch and perform the sequence in exact timing.... I've never heard of it being done...

Someone once told me that there was a series of clicks that would cause those old payphones to dump all of the money inside upon dialing. Never found out if it was true or not.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
14-09-2016, 09:39 AM
@Leela

When I saw the image of the rotary phone you showed, it just didn't look right to me.

I remember my parents having one like this...

[Image: blackrotarygif2.gif]

I recall vaguely my mom didn't want black and ordered a tan one from the phone company. Phones in those days were offered free, when you moved you had the option if you stayed with the same company of taking your phone with you, but otherwise they would leave them for the next person.

If your phone broke, they they come out and fix it in your house or give you a new phone. In the mid 1980s in our area they were still giving you a phone when you got a phone service. Then they began selling them in stores, and that was pretty much the end.

My grandmother had a hideously long cord that she could easily unplug -- it had this odd shaped jack with three prongs, and that was hugely high tech for the time. She could carry the phone from the hallway into the living room to talk there while she watched tv. She also had a 2nd phone in the kitchen on the wall.

She had this dish by the phone for her earring, she'd have to remove her clip-on earrings and she had this odd finger like thing, it slipped onto her finger so she wouldn't hurt her finger while dialing or something.

I have one regular phone we use if the power goes out for a long time. It's a push button type.

The kids answered it once and didn't know what to do when the call was over...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Anyone else remember dangling the receiver so that the cord would unwind?

Then someone came up with the little swivel device that was supposed to keep that from happening, though it wasn't terribly efficient.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post