We are that generation <phones>

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2016, 09:56 AM
RE: We are that generation <phones>
(14-09-2016 09:43 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Anyone else remember dangling the receiver so that the cord would unwind?

Then someone came up with the little swivel device that was supposed to keep that from happening, though it wasn't terribly efficient.

Yes! It was a pain.

My grandma had the swivel thingy. But yes, it didn't need really work well.

She also later got that obnoxious neck holder thing...

[Image: 41te3SZLzgL.jpg]

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-09-2016, 10:28 AM
(14-09-2016 09:39 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  @Leela

When I saw the image of the rotary phone you showed, it just didn't look right to me.

I remember my parents having one like this...

[Image: blackrotarygif2.gif]

I recall vaguely my mom didn't want black and ordered a tan one from the phone company. Phones in those days were offered free, when you moved you had the option if you stayed with the same company of taking your phone with you, but otherwise they would leave them for the next person.

If your phone broke, they they come out and fix it in your house or give you a new phone. In the mid 1980s in our area they were still giving you a phone when you got a phone service. Then they began selling them in stores, and that was pretty much the end.

My grandmother had a hideously long cord that she could easily unplug -- it had this odd shaped jack with three prongs, and that was hugely high tech for the time. She could carry the phone from the hallway into the living room to talk there while she watched tv. She also had a 2nd phone in the kitchen on the wall.

She had this dish by the phone for her earring, she'd have to remove her clip-on earrings and she had this odd finger like thing, it slipped onto her finger so she wouldn't hurt her finger while dialing or something.

I have one regular phone we use if the power goes out for a long time. It's a push button type.

The kids answered it once and didn't know what to do when the call was over...

Don't tell my dad that.............. He's still pissed about this........

Those phone company phones were NOT free......

You rented them. The rent - was 8 bucks a month....

My mom always paid the bills... When she died and dad took over -- he went over it and found the rental charge -- which was paid from 1971 to 2003 -- 32 years - times 12, time 8 -- that "free" phone cost $3072...

Dad ripped it off the wall - mailed it back to the phone company -- and told them to go fuck themselves.....

He's been wireless only since 2004......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-09-2016, 10:37 AM

When I saw the image of the rotary phone you showed, it just didn't look right to me.

It looked odd to me too; I've never seen one without letters or with the numbers going clockwise from the bottom instead of counter-clockwise from the top. Must be one of those weird foreign things.
Cool

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
14-09-2016, 11:24 AM
(14-09-2016 10:37 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

It looked odd to me too; I've never seen one without letters or with the numbers going clockwise from the bottom instead of counter-clockwise from the top. Must be one of those weird foreign things.
Cool

They drive their cars on the other side of the road, too! Laugh out load

Pretty sure that this is a prop.
14-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Ok, who remembers running into the house as a kid, only to be clotheslined by the 25 foot cord your mom had put on the kitchen phone so she could wander around the house cleaning while she talked on the phone?

My mom would have that damned cord stretched through every room of our upstairs, if you weren't paying attention you could lose a head!
14-09-2016, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2016 01:24 PM by Marozz.)
(14-09-2016 06:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Here's something you probably didn't know ----

What the rotary dial actually does - is make/break a connection on the line. I can actually duplicate the dialing sequence by tapping the correct number of clicks on the hang up button....

(don't forget - I actually worked sending high speed Morse code) The trick is transposing the numbers into "high dit" code characters --- i.e. a dialed 9 is thought of in dits as 5H (five dits, 4 dits) sent as a single grouping...

What DOESN'T work - is mimicking the dial tone to dial by sound..... You can't do it.

Why??? Because the DTMF dial tones are two separate specific audio tone sent at the same time -- not a single tone.....

It's theoretically possible for TWO people to do it -- providing they have perfect pitch and perform the sequence in exact timing.... I've never heard of it being done...

When I was a kid we didn't have a phone. Only rich people had phones. We had to use the old phone box around the corner and, yes, we used to "tap" the phone to make calls. On the old phone you'd put in your coins, call the number and push button A to connect. For return of unused coins you'd push button B. We used to stuff the small chute with paper so that when a person pushed button B no coins would come out. Thinking the phone was faulty the person would leave. Later on we would remove the paper, collect the coins and head off to the local shop to buy some loose cigarettes. Tongue

[Image: v6HRK94.jpg]

[Image: EZUyGsr.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
14-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Quote:When I was a kid we didn't have a phone. Only rich people had phones. We had to use the old phone box around the corner and, yes, we used to "tap" the phone to make calls. On the old phone you'd put in your coins, call the number and push button A to connect. For return of unused coins you'd push button B. We used to stuff the small chute with paper so that when a person pushed button B no coins would come out. Thinking the phone was faulty the person would leave. Later on we would remove the paper, collect the coins and head off to the local shop to buy some loose cigarettes. Tongue

Wow, Marozz, we're the same age and that story sounds like something from the depression era here in the states. Was that in Ireland?
14-09-2016, 01:43 PM
My grandparents had one like this, and refused to part with it, all the way to their end, well into my 20's.

[Image: OldmodRotoCndle.jpg]

It's like an antique car! Got style! Cool

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
14-09-2016, 01:46 PM
When I got out of boot camp, I got myself a shiny new pager to clip onto my pocket and show everyone how hip I was. Over a 6 month period, for about $25 per month, I got maybe two pages, both from my mom. Everyone I knew in the area lived in the barracks and called via barracks phones, and the school was a SCIF where mobile communications devices were strictly prohibited. But yeah... Looked cool when I wasn't in class. That's what matters.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
14-09-2016, 01:49 PM
(14-09-2016 10:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

I remember my parents having one like this...

[Image: blackrotarygif2.gif]

I recall vaguely my mom didn't want black and ordered a tan one from the phone company. Phones in those days were offered free, when you moved you had the option if you stayed with the same company of taking your phone with you, but otherwise they would leave them for the next person.

If your phone broke, they they come out and fix it in your house or give you a new phone. In the mid 1980s in our area they were still giving you a phone when you got a phone service. Then they began selling them in stores, and that was pretty much the end.

My grandmother had a hideously long cord that she could easily unplug -- it had this odd shaped jack with three prongs, and that was hugely high tech for the time. She could carry the phone from the hallway into the living room to talk there while she watched tv. She also had a 2nd phone in the kitchen on the wall.

She had this dish by the phone for her earring, she'd have to remove her clip-on earrings and she had this odd finger like thing, it slipped onto her finger so she wouldn't hurt her finger while dialing or something.

I have one regular phone we use if the power goes out for a long time. It's a push button type.

The kids answered it once and didn't know what to do when the call was over...

Don't tell my dad that.............. He's still pissed about this........

Those phone company phones were NOT free......

You rented them. The rent - was 8 bucks a month....

My mom always paid the bills... When she died and dad took over -- he went over it and found the rental charge -- which was paid from 1971 to 2003 -- 32 years - times 12, time 8 -- that "free" phone cost $3072...

Dad ripped it off the wall - mailed it back to the phone company -- and told them to go fuck themselves.....

He's been wireless only since 2004......

Our phone company pacific bell, gave me a deal on the phone in 1981, they didn't charge me to rent it, but we paid like $20 outright so I could have a pretty pink princess phone.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post