We are that generation <phones>

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2016, 01:56 PM
RE: We are that generation <phones>
(14-09-2016 01:32 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:When I was a kid we didn't have a phone. Only rich people had phones. We had to use the old phone box around the corner and, yes, we used to "tap" the phone to make calls. On the old phone you'd put in your coins, call the number and push button A to connect. For return of unused coins you'd push button B. We used to stuff the small chute with paper so that when a person pushed button B no coins would come out. Thinking the phone was faulty the person would leave. Later on we would remove the paper, collect the coins and head off to the local shop to buy some loose cigarettes. Tongue

Wow, Marozz, we're the same age and that story sounds like something from the depression era here in the states. Was that in Ireland?
I can well remember those machines, but not when they were replaced. Someone gave me an engineering number that enabled us to make free calls!

My parents never had a phone but our house had a line going a mile, on posts, to the exchange. Made a superb aerial for my crystal set! Until they started broadcasting TV from Crystal Palace in 1956, that swamped crystal sets.

So, in 1950s there were posdibly twenty phone's in the 260 houses in our road. Now there are probably about a thousand with all the kids.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2016, 02:02 PM
I haven't bothered keeping a land line for quite a while now. It's a waste of money for most people. I don't think my kids have ever seen a land line at all, let alone a rotary. As far as my 4 year old is concerned, video chat has always existed..

'Murican Canadian
14-09-2016, 02:04 PM
My grandparents had one similar to this. Very cool.

[Image: il_570xN.261522905.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
14-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Quote:So, in 1950s there were posdibly twenty phone's in the 260 houses in our road. Now there are probably about a thousand with all the kids.

I grew up on our family's 240,000 acre cattle ranch in West Texas. We were pretty wealthy I suppose, although we lived like ranchers do...nothing fancy, just tough and utilitarian.

I remember my father being INFURIATED with the phone company, because they would not run us our own phone line, for any price. We had a party line until 1978. It would have been ok except for one nosy lady who drove my dad nuts. He was used to getting his way, pretty type A guy, military with three wars under his belt and the 3rd largest ranch in Texas...but Ma Bell flipped him the bird. I think he would have switched to CB radios if he could have. Big Grin
14-09-2016, 02:14 PM
(14-09-2016 01:32 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:When I was a kid we didn't have a phone. Only rich people had phones. We had to use the old phone box around the corner and, yes, we used to "tap" the phone to make calls. On the old phone you'd put in your coins, call the number and push button A to connect. For return of unused coins you'd push button B. We used to stuff the small chute with paper so that when a person pushed button B no coins would come out. Thinking the phone was faulty the person would leave. Later on we would remove the paper, collect the coins and head off to the local shop to buy some loose cigarettes. Tongue

Wow, Marozz, we're the same age and that story sounds like something from the depression era here in the states. Was that in Ireland?

Yep. You could say there was a "depression" in Ireland in the late 70's and early 80's. I was a teenager when we got our first phone. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
14-09-2016, 02:16 PM
(14-09-2016 01:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 10:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Don't tell my dad that.............. He's still pissed about this........

Those phone company phones were NOT free......

You rented them. The rent - was 8 bucks a month....

My mom always paid the bills... When she died and dad took over -- he went over it and found the rental charge -- which was paid from 1971 to 2003 -- 32 years - times 12, time 8 -- that "free" phone cost $3072...

Dad ripped it off the wall - mailed it back to the phone company -- and told them to go fuck themselves.....

He's been wireless only since 2004......

Our phone company pacific bell, gave me a deal on the phone in 1981, they didn't charge me to rent it, but we paid like $20 outright so I could have a pretty pink princess phone.

My mother worked for South Western Bell, and I think they split all that up to prevent a monopoly? Then she worked for AT&T, and we got a lot of free phone shit. Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
14-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Quote:Our phone company pacific bell, gave me a deal on the phone in 1981, they didn't charge me to rent it, but we paid like $20 outright so I could have a pretty pink princess phone.

My mother worked for South Western Bell, and I think they split all that up to prevent a monopoly? Then she worked for AT&T, and we got a lot of free phone shit. Shy

One of the best jobs I ever had was flying a biz jet for southwestern bell out of San Antonio. I loved every minute of it. Then AT&T took over, relocated the planes to DFW, (Dallas fort worth) where I did not want to go...and it was over. Damn that AT&T! Angry
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
14-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Quote:Yep. You could say there was a "depression" in Ireland in the late 70's and early 80's. I was a teenager when we got our first phone. Tongue

I didn't realize, initially, that you were in Ireland, until I went to your profile. That must have been a rough childhood, if you can even call it a childhood. Glad you survived!
14-09-2016, 02:40 PM
(14-09-2016 02:24 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Yep. You could say there was a "depression" in Ireland in the late 70's and early 80's. I was a teenager when we got our first phone. Tongue

I didn't realize, initially, that you were in Ireland, until I went to your profile. That must have been a rough childhood, if you can even call it a childhood. Glad you survived!

You don't miss what you don't have. For us it was the norm. I was one of the lucky ones as my old man always had a job.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
14-09-2016, 03:52 PM
(14-09-2016 01:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 10:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Don't tell my dad that.............. He's still pissed about this........

Those phone company phones were NOT free......

You rented them. The rent - was 8 bucks a month....

My mom always paid the bills... When she died and dad took over -- he went over it and found the rental charge -- which was paid from 1971 to 2003 -- 32 years - times 12, time 8 -- that "free" phone cost $3072...

Dad ripped it off the wall - mailed it back to the phone company -- and told them to go fuck themselves.....

He's been wireless only since 2004......

Our phone company pacific bell, gave me a deal on the phone in 1981, they didn't charge me to rent it, but we paid like $20 outright so I could have a pretty pink princess phone.

Yer a smart lady -- you saved thousands...

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.