We are that generation <phones>

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-09-2016, 04:21 PM
RE: We are that generation <phones>
Quote:You don't miss what you don't have. For us it was the norm. I was one of the lucky ones as my old man always had a job.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Ireland, particularly Shannon, as it was a fuel stop for a job I had. I love the place, I just wish the politics and bullshit would go elsewhere.

I hear it has improved since my last visit in...94 I think. I hope so- the place is amazing, particularly if you aren't worried about car bombs and such.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
14-09-2016, 04:55 PM
(14-09-2016 04:21 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:You don't miss what you don't have. For us it was the norm. I was one of the lucky ones as my old man always had a job.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Ireland, particularly Shannon, as it was a fuel stop for a job I had. I love the place, I just wish the politics and bullshit would go elsewhere.

I hear it has improved since my last visit in...94 I think. I hope so- the place is amazing, particularly if you aren't worried about car bombs and such.

Oh things have improved a lot since then. The catholic church has lost a lot of it's power and "peace" has become normal. I'm glad to say that Shannon is still used as a stop over for the US Military- much to the annoyance of the loony left. Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
14-09-2016, 05:10 PM
(14-09-2016 04:36 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Until i was a teenager we didnt have a phone at all! My friends came by and picked me up for playing football etc.

Unbelievable! Laugh out load

When I was a kid, it was a common fact for all kids that there is no way in hell that we could go and play outside before 3pm.
School was out at 12 or 1 noon. Then you'd go home, have lunch, and do homework, study, do your chores, clean your room. That kind of stuff.
After 3pm you would just go outside and meet everybody because that was the same rule in all families. And you just knew where to go, no phone call needed.
When I lived with my grandmother for a while (I was 6 or 7) I would always finish my stuff and exactly at 3pm I would leave the house and walk across the street to knock on my best friend's door to ask if he could come out to play already.

Oh and who said the thing about memorizing phone numbers. Yes, I had memorized a good deal of those too. The one that I still know is my grandmother's nr. 81323 They had a short number because they had one of the first phones in the area. One day, when I was 12 or so, and we finally had a landline at my mom's house too, our number had 10 digits rather than 5 like my grandmom's.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
14-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Pfffft Tongue Some of these stories about being so poor and having to walk a mile to make a phone call remind me of..................
..................this.......v

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-09-2016, 01:36 AM
Quote: Tongue Some of these stories about being so poor and having to walk a mile to make a phone call remind me of..................
..................this.......v

We was so poor we couldn't afford ta pay attention. Schoolhouse was 27 miles away, uphill in both directions. We didn't have no school buses, and nobody's folks was gonna drive 'em ever' day, so we walked. We offen had ta carry the little 'uns, who couldn't walk more'n 8 or 9 miles on them sharp rocks, being barefoot and all.

In the summertime, temperatures'd hit 125 degrees Fahrenheit. We'd cook our breakfast on the tops of our feet as we walked, which give them eggs an interestin' flavor.

Wintertime, there was this pack of wolfs what lived 'bout at the halfway mark. Texas winters ain't much, but them wolfs would still get mighty hungry, since the wild game thinned out a bunch thet time of year. Runnin' from them old wolfs was great cardovasklar exercise, as they'd chase us all the way to the schoolyard, which if you recall was all uphill. Whew! We hardly ever lost more'n two or three kids each year, not 'nuff to raise a fuss over.

The teachers in them days was not as sweet and kindly as the ones y'all have today. If ya broke a rule back then, the teacher'd have you go cut a switch off'n a bush outside ta whup ya with. If you come back with a little tiny one, or a rotten one, then that sneaky ol' teacher would let yore worst enemy- all them teachers kept a list of who was enemies with who- go cut one. Some of them switches we used later, at recess. For baseball bats.

If'n a feller did something real bad- like put a snake in the teachers desk without makin' sure it warn't poisonous- then he got to go see the Princ'pul. Whew...you didn't wanna go see him, no sir. His name wuz Mister Pizzini, and he wuz a big ole' cornfed boy that had gone to collige! I heerd he went for two hole years! I dunno what a feller could do for two years in a collige, after all the time he spent in reg'lar school before that, but it musta been important, because when he come home, they made him the princ'pul of the hole sckool, grades K through 10, or whatever the biggest grade number wuz.

But if a kid got sent ta see him for bein' bad, Ol' Mister P had this length a' wood, 'bout 5 feet long, 3 inches thick and mebbe 7 or 8 inches wide. One end wuz narra'ed down inta a handle, which wuz all smooth and shined up, from bein' gripped tight and swingin' at a poor fella's rump so many times. T'other end wuz
wide 'n flat, with a buncha holes drilled in it ta cut down the wind resistunce.
About a foot from th' end there wuz a spot thet had been polish'd ta a mighty shine...y'all can guess whut polished it, I reckon.

If'n a kid came ta get whupped, Mr P wud say somp'n like "So, Billy, do ya know what ya did wrong what got you sent to see me?" Billy wud say "yessir".
Mister P wud then say "Well, that's allrighty then, I think we kin just make shore ya dont ferget, in the future. How many licks ya rekkon it'll take to make shore ya keep this in yer mem'ry, Billy?"

Now Mister P wuz allright, but this wuz mighty cruel. Whats a feller ta say? Be a chikken and say "One"? Or be honist and say "I don' think yer arm can las' thet long, Mister P." Nobudy wuz gonna say thet, I kin promise ya.

So the 'cused wud stand mute, an' Mr P wud say "Well, howz about three, Bill?" Mister P did love thet number three. Everyone got three cept the girls, what always got whupped by Missus Patton, who'd give 'em one an' then her glassus wud fall off'n the back of her head, an' she'd ask the girl ta pick em up for her. Once she done that, Missus Patton wud feel grateful and not have the heart to whup em anymore. Many's the time we wished Mister P wud start wearin glassus, but he'd also hafta git too fat ta pick em up his ownself, and we'd be gradiated by the time he cud do thet. Probily.

Anyhow, after all thet, an' skool got let out, we had ta walk 27 miles home agin, carryin' the younguns 'most the hole way, cause they wuz tired. Them wolfs was mostly tuckered by then, so we barely had ta run a cuppla miles.

Yup, we had it hard, back then. Not like y'all younguns now, with yer phones and buses and folks drivin' ya everwhere. Spiled brats, yall are.

Lucky bastids.

LOL...Norco kicked in. Sorry. Opiates. Love 'em. Hobo
[+] 4 users Like The Dark One's post
15-09-2016, 09:23 AM
That was great Dark.Laugh out load

We WERE poor though. When I was a kid we lived in a two room fishing cabin out in the woods up near Lake Tahoe. It did have electricity and running water but no indoor bathroom. We had an outhouse.......which I almost fell in when I was 4 years old Shocking

My mother would boil water in a big pot and pour it into this metal horse trough for my baths. Because this took so much time and trouble I only took a bath once a week. The rest of the time us kids (there were 5 of us at the time plus my 2 parents) went around being filthy dirty or in the summer we'd jump into the Upper Truckee river for our baths. Coooooold, cooooooold river!

I'm the youngest. One time one of my older brothers went out fishing along the Truckee River. He was about 11 or so at the time and could catch fish like there was no tomorrow. Somehow, and I don't know how he did it, but he got a fishing hook stuck in one of his testicles. When he got home with his troubles my other brothers thought it was the funniest damned thing they'd ever seen and were roaring with laughter. My mother took him into the kitchen and tells him calmly "Now this is gonna hurt." When your mother tells you something is gonna hurt, you better take notice. She got the hook out but it wasn't very easy. My be-hooked brother was screaming in pain ....my other two brothers laughed even harder. (We laughed at each others troubles a lot back then.)

Did he go to a doctor? Pffffft. Not on your life.

We have so many family stories from our cabin days, it was quite an experience. We had nothing. There was no TV, radio or phone. I had no toys so I played with my imagination instead. I wore my older brothers old ragged pants tied up with a rope belt. In family photos it looks like none of us kids ever combed our hair. We all looked like we came out of Tobacco Road. It was fantastic and wonderful.

We finally moved when I was about 9 or 10 but I wouldn't trade The Cabin years for all the cell phones and computer gadgets in the entire world.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-09-2016, 10:55 AM
We were far from poor. My stepfather made enough money in a few months of halibut fishing in Alaska that he could have taken the rest of the year off and we still could have lived pretty comfortably. He simply liked work, and so ran a small carpentry business on the side during the off season, and didn't like most modern amenities, so he never bothered getting them. We lived on beachfront island property that probably would have been worth a few million with a more upscale house on it, but instead we lived in a place his grandfather built, and that he later added a room to, that looked like something straight out of a life on the prairie movie just like him. No electric heating, had a well as opposed to city water, we raised our own chickens, had a massive garden, our own compost system, hunted, fished and foraged as much as possible, etc. He just wasn't ever interested in most of what modern civilization has to offer. Dude literally buried money on the property because he didn't trust banks and couldn't think of anything to spend it on. We did have a phone, though Thumbsup

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post