We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
29-11-2013, 11:11 AM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(29-11-2013 10:47 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  But let's say, for the sake of argument, that Gweneth Paltrow...I dunno...did something that hurt Apple.

[Image: blasphemer128601086275112902.jpg]

It is an integral part of my identity that my Gwynnies is incapable of such acts. Angel

Recently, however, she was caught on video driving like a typical LA dickhead with Apple on the back of her scooter; considering how long it took me to type this response indicates to me that this thrust may be too close to home. Tongue

The problem I have here is moral absolutism, which I find to be a ridiculous and contrary position. The very argument of "god beyond understanding" screams moral relativism; and I must conclude that the average Omnitheist just compartmentalizes the conflict.

If that compartmentalization occurs, then the theist is likely to hand-wave your objections aside.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-11-2013, 11:29 AM
(29-11-2013 10:51 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Flying monkey thread, I been hearing this all day. What is it? Flights of fancy?

Short answer: a flying monkey thread is a theology discussion.

Long answer: we were having a theology discussion, when Chas intervened with his usual terseness and said something arguing the merits of The Wizard of Oz in a world where monkeys cannot fly... or something, I couldn't find the quote right now. So basically, see above. Big Grin

29-11-2013, 11:31 AM
(29-11-2013 11:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 10:51 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Flying monkey thread, I been hearing this all day. What is it? Flights of fancy?

Short answer: a flying monkey thread is a theology discussion.

Long answer: we were having a theology discussion, when Chas intervened with his usual terseness and said something arguing the merits of The Wizard of Oz in a world where monkeys cannot fly... or something, I couldn't find the quote right now. So basically, see above. Big Grin

**yawn**
My answer was funnier.

but

you're correct of course Bowing

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2013, 02:42 PM
In related news, Cathy, ya might wanna get together with your pal and take one of these Bible Quizzes. Saw it on another forum and thought of this situation. Thumbsup

29-11-2013, 07:12 PM
(29-11-2013 09:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have a white collar job in a white collar business that I own. My parents, grew up blue collar. So when they got rich, they still preferred the company of blue collar people.

Therefore, that's all I ever knew. When my dad died, he left us with more money than I could ever spend in my lifetime. Yes. I'm filthy rich. I don't ever have to work. I don't know what it's like to not be able to pay my way, or pay my bills. I work because I chose to.

You know what I drive? A Buick. You wanna know what kind of clothes I wear? Jeans and t-shirts. No Jimmy's, not chrisitan louboutin shoes. I don't carry fendi bags and I don't drink martinis and eat filet every night. I don't take my car to the mechanic - I fix it my damn self.

Beer and Mac and cheese makes this girl happy.

I don't like pretension. It irritates me. The majority of white collar rich folk will only be friends with you if you are rich like them. Pffft. I prefer the company of those who don't keep their elbows up.

My dad's favorite expression was "an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure."
So yeah. Academics are great. They have lots of great ideas and great knowledge...but the majority of them lack functionality beyond that. They can design a house, but they can't actually build it.

They work in theories and hypotheticals like some artists work in oils.

Here's some (unpretentious) cheese to go with your whine:

[Image: velveetacheese.jpg]

Smile
29-11-2013, 07:41 PM
(28-11-2013 10:53 PM)Chippy Wrote:  From the perspective of atheism there is absolutely no good purpose to be found in theological debate.

Precisely. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-11-2013, 07:46 PM
(28-11-2013 11:23 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Please stop being a dickhead, if you can.

That's quite rich coming from you. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-11-2013, 08:21 PM
(29-11-2013 10:12 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  As a former Reformed Christian I can relate to where you're coming from. However, you must agree that liberal values are superior.

To be able to utter "liberal values are superior" you must already have a different conception of value so again you would be begging the question. The Christian concpetion of supreme value is the salvation of the eternal soul. The liberal-humanist conception of supreme value is human well-being during their lifetime. No Christian that understands what is being asked of them would agree that "liberal values are superior".

Quote:How do you justify the killing of the Amalekites but repudiate the bloody history of the early Reformed tradition?

I don't think the repudiation of the bloody history of the early Reformed tradition is universal. You need to be more specific.
29-11-2013, 08:28 PM
(29-11-2013 10:31 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Sandy: God is great! Isn't god great?!?
Me: if you say so.
Sandy: you don't think god is great?
Me: I don't think god is real. STOP HERE But even if I did think god was real, I really don't see the goodness in him.

That is where you derailed the dialogue. You should have stayed with the existential question. You took the discussion from safe philosophical ground into theology.
29-11-2013, 08:34 PM
(29-11-2013 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 11:23 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Please stop being a dickhead, if you can.

That's quite rich coming from you. Drinking Beverage

Trying to catch me out on the meaning of a word because you can't get any traction with your idiotic argument is the sort of dickheadedness that is typical of you. I don't need to to do that. But if you want to continue being a silly old cunt then carry on. But don't complain when I eviscerate you, which is also typical of you.