We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
29-11-2013, 10:20 PM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(29-11-2013 08:21 PM)Chippy Wrote:  To be able to utter "liberal values are superior" you must already have a different conception of value so again you would be begging the question. The Christian concpetion of supreme value is the salvation of the eternal soul. The liberal-humanist conception of supreme value is human well-being during their lifetime. No Christian that understands what is being asked of them would agree that "liberal values are superior".

If the Christian conception of supreme value is the salvation of the soul then the murder of Servetus is entirely moral, isn't it? It avoided his 'heresy' from being spread wider than it was and therefore more souls to be damned.
Atrocities like these in Reformed Christianity faded away as classical liberal values starting taking over in Europe and in the US. Don't you tell me that's a coincidence.

Quote:I don't think the repudiation of the bloody history of the early Reformed tradition is universal. You need to be more specific.

In my opinion all the bloody parts are repugnant. How about you be specific, What parts don't you repudiate?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2013, 11:48 AM
(29-11-2013 08:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's quite rich coming from you. Drinking Beverage

Trying to catch me out on the meaning of a word because you can't get any traction with your idiotic argument is the sort of dickheadedness that is typical of you. I don't need to to do that. But if you want to continue being a silly old cunt then carry on. But don't complain when I eviscerate you, which is also typical of you.

You haven't eviscerated me yet, so carry on being an ass.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2013, 03:48 PM
The gods of scripture,in the main, seem to reflect the gross insecurity and egocentricity of people on massive ego trips.
There is also the element of fear and desire to live forever, with no practical considerations of what that might imply.
Attempts to explain God in terms of our human natures, and then enforce all manner of questionable laws, is a dangerous practice.
02-12-2013, 08:07 AM
(29-11-2013 08:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's quite rich coming from you. Drinking Beverage

Trying to catch me out on the meaning of a word because you can't get any traction with your idiotic argument is the sort of dickheadedness that is typical of you. I don't need to to do that. But if you want to continue being a silly old cunt then carry on. But don't complain when I eviscerate you, which is also typical of you.

Ya know, Chippy, I don't know you - but - none of this makes any sense ^.
Zero. Might be the slang I'm having trouble following though.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
(02-12-2013 08:07 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 08:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Trying to catch me out on the meaning of a word because you can't get any traction with your idiotic argument is the sort of dickheadedness that is typical of you. I don't need to to do that. But if you want to continue being a silly old cunt then carry on. But don't complain when I eviscerate you, which is also typical of you.

Ya know, Chippy, I don't know you - but - none of this makes any sense ^.

Then allow me to translate. Chippy said:

Chas, I don't like you. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
(02-12-2013 08:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 08:07 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Ya know, Chippy, I don't know you - but - none of this makes any sense ^.

Then allow me to translate. Chippy said:

Chas, I don't like you. Thumbsup

[Image: SmileyLOLSideways.gif]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
(28-11-2013 04:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can someone explain this argument to me? You can't judge god by our standards. Why not? We are in his image, which would include himself, no?
1. You can judge god by your standards. Jesus said that you'll be judged by the standards you apply to others, though, so make sure you're consistent!

2. More broadly, anyone can judge anyone by any standards they like. Enforcement of that judgment is another matter.
[+] 1 user Likes alpha male's post
02-12-2013, 01:25 PM
(02-12-2013 09:25 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 04:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can someone explain this argument to me? You can't judge god by our standards. Why not? We are in his image, which would include himself, no?
1. You can judge god by your standards. Jesus said that you'll be judged by the standards you apply to others, though, so make sure you're consistent!

2. More broadly, anyone can judge anyone by any standards they like. Enforcement of that judgment is another matter.

1. Easy enough. I'm not part of God's favored people, his favored team, so he's my enemy. God has no trouble with the wholesale slaughter of those he does not favor, and even that doesn't stop him from fucking over the Israelite's a few times anyways. So it's totally cool to pick favorites and fuck everyone anyways for no apparent reason. If it's good enough for God...

2. Well God, if the 10 Commandments are anything to go by, is a real narcissist. The best way of getting under his skin is to deny him the one thing he craves the most; recognition of Him. Well, that's real fucking easy. God is the ultimate douche-bag and so I'll give him the silent treatment.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
(02-12-2013 09:25 AM)alpha male Wrote:  2. More broadly, anyone can judge anyone by any standards they like. Enforcement of that judgment is another matter.

Assuming God were real, this is eerily true. God can kill innumerable children if he wants and there's nothing we can do about it.
02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
(02-12-2013 01:46 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 09:25 AM)alpha male Wrote:  2. More broadly, anyone can judge anyone by any standards they like. Enforcement of that judgment is another matter.

Assuming God were real, this is eerily true. God can kill innumerable children if he wants and there's nothing we can do about it.

Uh, we can tell him to fuck off?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]