We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(04-12-2013 07:27 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Perhaps you could instead argue that divine command morality is relativistic.

Chippy,
Unless you meant to drag Einstein into the argument (and Niels Bohr did tell him to shut up about God), I think you meant to say relative, not relativistic.

Pedantically yours,

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(04-12-2013 09:35 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 07:11 AM)alpha male Wrote:  and I don't watch Youtube clips (except for the fox song).

My daughters love that video!

That is all. Dodgy
My daughters loved it, but yesterday one of them posted on FB that it's no longer cool because Mom and Dad are walking around singing it.
05-12-2013, 06:06 AM
(28-11-2013 06:25 PM)Julius Wrote:  Exactly! Genisis 3:21 states:

21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

The quote can be found here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV

Never thought bout this before but why was there a tree of life in the first place? Eating from it would ensure they would never die. I thought no death was the default position. I thought eating from the forbidden tree was the sin that resulted in death coming into the picture. The wages of sin is death. On a side note, why the hell didn't they eat from the tree of life first? I agree with DarkMatter2525's video on youtube that suggests that you have to believe that sin was part of gods plan. We've got over population issues right now and people are dying. Imagine if people didn't die! God's command was be fruitful and multiply. Serious problems right there.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
05-12-2013, 08:22 AM
(05-12-2013 06:06 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."

Horus is likely no more than 5k years old, and there was a few of 'em. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Well, a gross of responses later, I say "Of course we can. What other standards could you possibly use?".

We have no other standards. You can't possibly know "god's standards" or "heavenly standards", even if they existed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-12-2013, 09:46 AM
(05-12-2013 08:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 06:06 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."

Horus is likely no more than 5k years old, and there was a few of 'em. Tongue
When I started the forum bit, Jesus was a rip-off of Bacchus. Then he was a rip-off of Mithras. Lately he's a rip-off of Horus.
05-12-2013, 10:03 AM
(05-12-2013 09:46 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 08:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Horus is likely no more than 5k years old, and there was a few of 'em. Tongue
When I started the forum bit, Jesus was a rip-off of Bacchus. Then he was a rip-off of Mithras. Lately he's a rip-off of Horus.

Personally, I always see the correlation of Mithras moreso than others due to the number of reasonable repeats from Mithra's story to the NT. But.......that's arguable, I know.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
(05-12-2013 10:03 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 09:46 AM)alpha male Wrote:  When I started the forum bit, Jesus was a rip-off of Bacchus. Then he was a rip-off of Mithras. Lately he's a rip-off of Horus.

Personally, I always see the correlation of Mithras moreso than others due to the number of reasonable repeats from Mithra's story to the NT. But.......that's arguable, I know.

I'm more for Osiris. Big Grin

But assuming there was a Jesus, he was likely just an ordinary guy with extraordinary vision, whose tale was later enhanced with a buncha woo like the rest of 'em.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
05-12-2013, 10:22 AM
(05-12-2013 10:03 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Personally, I always see the correlation of Mithras moreso than others due to the number of reasonable repeats from Mithra's story to the NT. But.......that's arguable, I know.
For one thing it depends on whether it's the Zoroastrian or the Roman version. The Zoroastrian version (which I assume you're referring to) fares a little better than the Roman, which is mostly just conjecture. In all cases, in my experience the more specific claimed parallels are unsupported, leaving general parallels that would fit most any concept of god.
05-12-2013, 10:26 AM
(05-12-2013 10:22 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 10:03 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Personally, I always see the correlation of Mithras moreso than others due to the number of reasonable repeats from Mithra's story to the NT. But.......that's arguable, I know.
For one thing it depends on whether it's the Zoroastrian or the Roman version. The Zoroastrian version (which I assume you're referring to) fares a little better than the Roman, which is mostly just conjecture. In all cases, in my experience the more specific claimed parallels are unsupported, leaving general parallels that would fit most any concept of god.

I'm actually starting to wonder at this stage in my life if there are ANY credible sources any more?

I'm still not burning my library tho.
*wink*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.