We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
05-12-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(05-12-2013 10:26 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I'm actually starting to wonder at this stage in my life if there are ANY credible sources any more?

I'm still not burning my library tho.
*wink*
When these parallels can be traced to any source at all, it's often a book written in the late 1800's by amateur Egyptologist Gerald Massey. If a theist introduced such a dubious source it would likely be rejected out of hand.

Regarding the Roman Mithras, it was a mystery religion and didn't leave any written records. Conclusions are drawn from bas reliefs. For example, these often have twelve symbols which most scholars interpret as the zodiac. Critics of Christianity will take this and simply say that Mithras had twelve disciples like Jesus. People who want to believe it do so without checking into it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes alpha male's post
05-12-2013, 11:41 AM
(05-12-2013 10:48 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 10:26 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I'm actually starting to wonder at this stage in my life if there are ANY credible sources any more?

I'm still not burning my library tho.
*wink*
When these parallels can be traced to any source at all, it's often a book written in the late 1800's by amateur Egyptologist Gerald Massey. If a theist introduced such a dubious source it would likely be rejected out of hand.

Regarding the Roman Mithras, it was a mystery religion and didn't leave any written records. Conclusions are drawn from bas reliefs. For example, these often have twelve symbols which most scholars interpret as the zodiac. Critics of Christianity will take this and simply say that Mithras had twelve disciples like Jesus. People who want to believe it do so without checking into it.
I'm a little leery about Horus. He was not born of a virgin depending which story you hear actually. After Isis found the box that held her husband/brother which was nailed shut by his uncle Set and sent down the Nile and entrapped in a tree. Isis turned into a falcon/eagle depends on the story gave Osiris breath back with her wings and was brought back to life. They had thier child Horus before Osiris died again.
Now if you want to get some real history, look at the reign of Pharaoh Amenhotep IV and his wife Nefertiti. Amenhotep changed his name to Akhenaten to honor the God Aten. Akhenaten proceeded to establish a purely monotheistic religion as Aten as the one true god. Aten was mostly depicted as a sun disk. He and his wife were the soul speakers for Aten and had all the other gods erased from their reign. Names, images, shires erased and destroyed of the old gods. This practiced stopped until after his death and Tutankhaten restored the old gods. Although many of Egypt still held Aten as the one true god.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
05-12-2013, 11:59 AM
http://pleaseconvinceme.com/2012/is-jesu...mythology/

Just found this ^ on Mithras and I can see how it clears up a great many things for me.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-12-2013, 12:58 PM
(05-12-2013 11:59 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  http://pleaseconvinceme.com/2012/is-jesu...mythology/

Just found this ^ on Mithras and I can see how it clears up a great many things for me.

cheers
"There can be little doubt that there are a number of pre-Christian mythologies with dying saviors, but when we examine these figures closely, we’ll see that they only foreshadow the God who truly DID come to earth. These mythologies actually SUPPORT the claims of Christ. "
Oh wow... I had to stop there. By that logic dragons, wolfmen, elves, gnomes, and a whole myriad of other things exist too.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
05-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I might be late to the party but:

[Image: BBwsJ.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like DemonicLemon's post
05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
(05-12-2013 12:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 11:59 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  http://pleaseconvinceme.com/2012/is-jesu...mythology/

cheers
"There can be little doubt that there are a number of pre-Christian mythologies with dying saviors, but when we examine these figures closely, we’ll see that they only foreshadow the God who truly DID come to earth. These mythologies actually SUPPORT the claims of Christ. "
Oh wow... I had to stop there. By that logic dragons, wolfmen, elves, gnomes, and a whole myriad of other things exist too.

Some of the data was good........but.erm.............. LMAO

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I can verify everything about Horus, but the other gods I didn't care enough about to ever study. Osiris was the one who was sacrificed, resurrected, and had a star associated with his teachings/origin.

Besides that, what the fuck does this one picture have anything to do with? What's Bill doing there? I don't understand any of this.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
(04-12-2013 08:05 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 07:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  It's still narcissistic; now it's just compounded with capriciousness, favoritism, ineffectiveness, and it's straight up fucking stupid.
So, you start with the position that God is narcissistic, and evidence indicating otherwise is really evidence that God is narcissistic but not very good at it. Seriously?

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that narcissism, capriciousness, favoritism, ineffectiveness, and stupidity were all mutually exclusive traits?

The high-school football team captain can still be a narcissist without anyone outside his school or town being aware of it, while still being an uncaring asshole, sticking to his own clique, having terrible grades and a terrible loosing streak. See, this is why you're not worth talking too... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
06-12-2013, 12:00 AM
When you judge genocide as a good act by your loving god, it is YOUR standard that needs to be questioned, not mine.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM
(06-12-2013 12:00 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you judge genocide as a good act by your loving god, it is YOUR standard that needs to be questioned, not mine.

Nuh-uh! 'Cause when my Gwynnies calls for genocide Imma kill myself for I am legion. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user