We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(06-12-2013 03:40 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:38 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I GOT YOU POE! call me the poe catcher.
YOU'RE WRONG! Call you the typical atheist. Angel
Lol at least you have a sense of humor. Especially calling me typical, its a nice touch. You can see it though, right? Killing indiscriminately without a pause or doubt is the epitome of delusion and insanity, regardless of the source.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
(06-12-2013 03:14 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:04 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  You're falling in the abyss of delusion. You think a just god would call for genocide in any caliber?
Sure. If the people deserve death, a just god would call for their death.

What's a god?

(PS - glad you see you got your sense of humor back :thumbsupSmile

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
(28-11-2013 04:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can someone explain this argument to me? You can't judge god by our standards. Why not? We are in his image, which would include himself, no?
It depends on what is meant by made in our image (Gods plural) means. This is not indicative of the term Most High which pertains to only a Godhead but rather to the entire political body. It may therefore mean that what we call the created exists as a simulation, and all that is happening is a predictable sequence of events for the purpose of understanding the character of the Creator.

You make a good point about being able or unable to judge God based on our limited understanding however, since it seems we are made for the very purpose of revealing what the glory of the Eternal Spirit of God is through a temporal existence. All that is the good and therefore also the loss of what is the good would be experienced through such an evaluation or revelation. Hence we also have in scripture the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and to that which it depicts.
06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
A god can mean almost anything to anybody. In it's most used sense, I take it to mean the true objective moral view. Hence people would claim the moral high ground according to their image of god.
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Who.

The fuck.

Let childeye back in? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-12-2013, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 04:36 PM by viole.)
(28-11-2013 04:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can someone explain this argument to me? You can't judge god by our standards. Why not? We are in his image, which would include himself, no?

Usually, the theists who claim that are the first ones who rate God using human standards.

For instance, are the meekness and forgiveness of Jesus a good thing? I wonder how we can decide that, if our standards are unreliable.

Ciao

- viole
[+] 1 user Likes viole's post
06-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Quote:
(06-12-2013 04:27 PM)viole Wrote:  

Usually, the theists who claim that are the first ones who rate God using human standards. For instance, is the meekness and forgiveness of Jesus a good thing?

I wonder how we can decide that, if our standards are unreliable.

Ciao

- viole
Yes, it is impossible to not use a human standard in any judgment since we are humans. That is why the Truth of Love others as you would want to be loved is clearly recognized as judging without hypocrisy. This moral Truth applies both subjective and objective thinking in its consideration.
06-12-2013, 04:53 PM
(06-12-2013 04:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Quote:
Yes, it is impossible to not use a human standard in any judgment since we are humans. That is why the Truth of Love others as you would want to be loved is clearly recognized as judging without hypocrisy. This moral Truth applies both subjective and objective thinking in its consideration.

Fine. Does that mean that the people who stoned that guy who was collecting woods on the Sabbath, considered stoning an act of Love?

Ciao

- viole
06-12-2013, 05:03 PM
(28-11-2013 06:53 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  God by definition, even if you don't believe in Him can't do anything wrong or unbenevolent.

So if I saw some kids making fun of a guy for being bald, it would be right for me to have those kids killed by bears for a punishment, right? Because if your god is benevolent and infallible, then I would be perfectly right in doing so, since I would only be following his example.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
06-12-2013, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 05:08 PM by childeye.)
(06-12-2013 04:53 PM)viole Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 04:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes, it is impossible to not use a human standard in any judgment since we are humans. That is why the Truth of Love others as you would want to be loved is clearly recognized as judging without hypocrisy. This moral Truth applies both subjective and objective thinking in its consideration.

Fine. Does that mean that the people who stoned that guy who was collecting woods on the Sabbath, considered stoning an act of Love?

Ciao

- viole
No, I don't see it as an act of love. I believe they would be following the letter of the law and not the Spirit of Love. That is why there is a New Testament, wherein hypocrisy is exposed. Hence the scripture says that the letter kills but the Spirit gives life. I am assuming you know that the law condemned all men as sinners according to the New Testament.