We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
28-11-2013, 06:27 PM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
It's a way to excuse God from perceived evils. Either God's plan is awesome, and death and pain and suffering are just part of it that is justified by the plan's awesomeness, or God decides what is good and bad every time he does something, so that burning a man to death is bad unless God does it, in which case it becomes awesome.

Essentially, it's either 'the ends justify the means' or 'your opinion doesn't matter'.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
28-11-2013, 06:29 PM
God is to be treated like an abusive (human) patriarch
Do what they say not what they do
Fear instils obedience, they never ask forgiveness because in a Stockholm environment it is redundant.

IMHO.... god should be judged the way courts judge figures of authority, maximum penalty for crimes and abuse of power.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
28-11-2013, 06:32 PM
The god described in the Bible is a horror. Anyone who tries to defend that being is mentally ill.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Why should we lower our standard to his level?
[+] 3 users Like black_squirrel's post
28-11-2013, 06:33 PM
(28-11-2013 06:25 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 06:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The other thing that gets me is that if we can't understand anything about the mind of god, then what the fuck was the tree of knowledge about? We all get sentenced to hell for something that didn't really give us what he said it would?

We got ripped off big time. That's fucked up.

Exactly! Genisis 3:21 states:

21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

The quote can be found here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV
The bread, the wine, the fish.
They domesticated animals. These people were never hunter gathers. Man just starts tilling the land right out of Eden presumably with tools. Undoubtedly near a river where they set up a civilization. This is an agricultural cult, isn't it? These people only wrote about what they knew at that time. They couldn't imagine the hardships early man had to face scavenging over left overs of previous kills by predators man dare not face alone.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
28-11-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 06:41 PM by grizzlysnake.)
There is no literal god, god only exists in metaphor. No one can possibly relate to a transcendent being, its asinine.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-11-2013, 06:37 PM
You don't want an explanation. You want some stupid apologetics so you can jump down someone's throat. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-11-2013, 06:48 PM
(28-11-2013 06:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You don't want an explanation. You want some stupid apologetics so you can jump down someone's throat. Angel

Huh? I'm a bit confused. Please explain.

Thanks.
28-11-2013, 06:50 PM
(28-11-2013 06:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You don't want an explanation. You want some stupid apologetics so you can jump down someone's throat. Angel

I resent that comment, HoC! Gwen would not be pleased! Repent!

Seriously, I don't understand the argument. If I'm gonna counter it - I need to understand it.

Ps. I also don't understand how someone dying for your sins negates the sin, either.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
28-11-2013, 06:53 PM
God by definition, even if you don't believe in Him can't do anything wrong or unbenevolent.