We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(06-12-2013 03:56 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Lol at least you have a sense of humor. Especially calling me typical, its a nice touch. You can see it though, right? Killing indiscriminately without a pause or doubt is the epitome of delusion and insanity, regardless of the source.
No, I can't see it. Well, I can see that you have an opinion, but that's all I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 06:32 PM by childeye.)
(06-12-2013 05:03 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 06:53 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  God by definition, even if you don't believe in Him can't do anything wrong or unbenevolent.

So if I saw some kids making fun of a guy for being bald, it would be right for me to have those kids killed by bears for a punishment, right? Because if your god is benevolent and infallible, then I would be perfectly right in doing so, since I would only be following his example.
That's funny. Your imagery of God is not logical nor pointing toward goodness (Godliness)... I would suggest that God would most likely deal with such pride in a more fitting manner so as to correct the ignorance. Perhaps these kids might some day grow old and be laughed at and consider. If they have understanding and forgive those who in ignorance laugh at them, then they will have come full circle and stand corrected.
06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
(06-12-2013 04:02 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  What's a god?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/god?s=t
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.

3. ( lowercase ) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.

4. ( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.

5. Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
06-12-2013, 05:21 PM
(06-12-2013 02:48 PM)alpha male Wrote:  If it's old, it's because it's effective.

Something is effective just because it's old? WOOOOW. That's the most Christian thing I've heard all week.

Everyone else: I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with such obvious trolling attempts. I can understand why there have been so many people banned since I've been here.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
(06-12-2013 05:11 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 03:56 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Lol at least you have a sense of humor. Especially calling me typical, its a nice touch. You can see it though, right? Killing indiscriminately without a pause or doubt is the epitome of delusion and insanity, regardless of the source.
No, I can't see it. Well, I can see that you have an opinion, but that's all I see.
Still playing the game , eh? Keep your cards close.
This is for you
[Image: BigPoe.jpg]

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
(28-11-2013 04:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can someone explain this argument to me? You can't judge god by our standards. Why not? We are in his image, which would include himself, no?

We can't judge this god at all.

How do you judge something that does not exist?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
(28-11-2013 04:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can someone explain this argument to me? You can't judge god by our standards. Why not? We are in his image, which would include himself, no?
If the transparently anthropomorphic God of the Abrahamic religions judges us by his very human standards I think it only fair that we should stoop to his less than human level and reciprocate. I say stoop to his level because I/we are obviously way above him both morally and ethically.

For instance I wouldn't even think of punishing my snot gobblers, let alone my beloved Dogs! Shocking, for not being able to understand why I made a certain house rule and subsequently disobeying it. Whereas God burns his kids alive - for not understanding and obeying even more trivial rules - FOREVER for the same reason. Yet we have either blatantly lying or disgustingly grovelling "believers" who swear they love this psychotic cu...oops! ogre.

When I was a kid they killed this kind of criminal and/or nutcase - called Nazis back then - offhandedly for loving and blindly following a bloke called Hitler, who was nowhere near as evil as their unimaginably vile, genocidal "God." At least Hitler mercifully gassed his victims before burning them. And people claim due process has progressed since then?!!
06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
(06-12-2013 05:05 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 04:53 PM)viole Wrote:  Fine. Does that mean that the people who stoned that guy who was collecting woods on the Sabbath, considered stoning an act of Love?

Ciao

- viole
No, I don't see it as an act of love. I believe they would be following the letter of the law and not the Spirit of Love. That is why there is a New Testament, wherein hypocrisy is exposed. Hence the scripture says that the letter kills but the Spirit gives life. I am assuming you know that the law condemned all men as sinners according to the New Testament.

Yes, but this letter of the law came directly from God, allegedly. Was the spirit of Love absent at that time? If God is, and I expect was, triune, what were two thirds of God doing at that time?

Ciao

- viole
06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
(06-12-2013 05:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 05:03 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So if I saw some kids making fun of a guy for being bald, it would be right for me to have those kids killed by bears for a punishment, right? Because if your god is benevolent and infallible, then I would be perfectly right in doing so, since I would only be following his example.
That's funny. Your imagery of God is not logical nor pointing toward goodness (Godliness)... I would suggest that God would most likely deal with such pride in a more fitting manner so as to correct the ignorance. Perhaps these kids might dome day grow old and be laughed at and consider.

My logic is straight out of the Bible:

2 Kings 2:23-24 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.

What's wrong? Don't like being called out on the ridiculous hypocrisy in your religion?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
06-12-2013, 05:33 PM
(06-12-2013 05:21 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Something is effective just because it's old? WOOOOW. That's the most Christian thing I've heard all week.

Everyone else: I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with such obvious trolling attempts. I can understand why there have been so many people banned since I've been here.
Never heard the saying "stood the test of time"? This isn't rocket surgery. While there are exceptions, yes, continued use of an argument can be an indicator that it's effective.