We can't judge god by our standards.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
08-12-2013, 09:11 PM
RE: We can't judge god by our standards.
(08-12-2013 01:41 AM)childeye Wrote:  That's a simple answer, God is Love.

Some religious people use the hard problem of consciousness as a gap to push a deity into. That is understandable--not reasonable just understandable--but you are trying to push a deity where there is no knowledge gap. The human affects are quite well understood at multiple levels of analysis: nuerochemically, neuroanatomically, social psychologically, evolutionarily etc. Where is the mystery in relation to love--in any sense of the word--that compells us to invoke the Judaeo-Christian God (or any deity for that matter) as an explanation?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 09:31 PM
(04-12-2013 03:03 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 07:27 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Perhaps you could instead argue that divine command morality is relativistic.

Chippy,
Unless you meant to drag Einstein into the argument (and Niels Bohr did tell him to shut up about God), I think you meant to say relative, not relativistic.

Pedantically yours,

Doc

Sorry but you are mistaken. The term relativistic was in the philosophy lexicon well-before it appeared in the physics lexicon. Epistemologies, moral theories, etc that are relative are described as relativistic. Here are some examples from philosophy texts:

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I can and I will judge God by my standards end of discussion it's called you must be this tall to ride this ride and God is not tall enough
08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
(04-12-2013 12:53 PM)tokutter Wrote:  Chippy.....just throwing this out there..

If i get into an argument about Darth Vader with someone......I would assume that both of us would know its fiction and concede to stay inside the narrative.....because this only exists inside the narrative.................If i get into a theological debate ......its different..... I'm debating someone who says his narrative is stone cold reality.... a reality that i am part and parcel to wether i like it or not.

So I supposed to argue reality and keep it inside their fictional narrative?????

That doesn't sound right to me..............just saying.

No you aren't part of the narrative. The narrative is supposed to have implications for you but you aren't a character in it--you don't appear in either the OT or the NT.

The point is that it makes sense for an atheist to treat the narrative as a historian, philosopher, anthropologist etc. would not as a theologian. It is actually nonsensical for an atheist to engage in a theological debate.