We'd better say "no false gods", than "no gods"

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 1 Average
03-10-2016, 10:37 PM
RE: We'd better say "no false gods", than "no gods"
(03-10-2016 10:27 PM)theBorg Wrote:  1) Do not break your bottle, Astreja.

I have no intention of breaking the bottle. I'm a big Ghostbusters fan, as well as an occasional writer of comedy.

Quote:2) Let it still be the romantic adventure: change your attitude towards the life. Please.

I assure you that My attitude is fine. It sees the impermanence and change inherent in all existence and seeks meaning in the present rather than in an imaginary future.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2016, 10:38 PM
True God?

[Image: christianity-my-god-has-a-hammer-your-go...stions.jpg]

Sorry, but your "True" "God" got tacked up by the Romans like some common horse thief.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
03-10-2016, 10:43 PM
The New Testament is a tale of thirteen guys who spent a whole lot of time together. Mary Magdalene was also hanging out, and according to most accounts she knew a few tricks, but she never got any. I'll let you do the math.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
03-10-2016, 10:43 PM
(03-10-2016 10:31 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 08:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ........ there's a Jewish law which requires men to get married and have a family. .........
Is it "law" in modern Judaism? Otherwise, please quote the Holy Bible.

Yes, it is. It's in the law.

Genesis 1:28 - G-d blessed them and G-d said to them, "Be fertile and increase, fill the earth and master it..."

In traditional Judaism, marriage is viewed as a contractual bond commanded by God in which a man and a woman come together to create a relationship in which God is directly involved. (Deut. 23:22 and 24:1)
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
03-10-2016, 10:47 PM
(03-10-2016 10:38 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  True God? ........
Sorry, but your "True" "God" got tacked up by the Romans ........
Every atheist here seems to replace the True God. But it is not a "job vacancy". The True God is the very first Life in history of the planet.
03-10-2016, 10:52 PM
(03-10-2016 10:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  .............
Genesis 1:28 - G-d blessed them and G-d said to them, "Be fertile and increase, fill the earth and master it...".........
There is not added a punishment starting with "or else". How is the law without the punishment?
03-10-2016, 10:58 PM
(03-10-2016 10:52 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 10:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  .............
Genesis 1:28 - G-d blessed them and G-d said to them, "Be fertile and increase, fill the earth and master it...".........
There is not added a punishment starting with "or else". How is the law without the punishment?

Why does there need to be an 'or else?" clause? We're instructed to establish courts of our own to bring cases like this to a tribunal. When the case is made that Jesus is a homosexual and he's into having sexual relationships with his farm animals, it will be determined that he cannot bring emotional or sexual happiness to a woman. He would be excused from marriage.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
03-10-2016, 10:59 PM
RE: We'd better say no gods
(03-10-2016 10:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 10:31 PM)theBorg Wrote:  Is it "law" in modern Judaism? Otherwise, please quote the Holy Bible.

Yes, it is. It's in the law.

Genesis 1:28 - G-d blessed them and G-d said to them, "Be fertile and increase, fill the earth and master it..."

In traditional Judaism, marriage is viewed as a contractual bond commanded by God in which a man and a woman come together to create a relationship in which God is directly involved. (Deut. 23:22 and 24:1)

I'm dissappointed you didn't use Matthew 19:4-6 just to mess with his little head. I thought that there was a law along the lines of 'You must toy mercilessly with any dolt stoopid enough to ask a Jew to quote from the Holy Bible (rather than the Quran or the Vedas).' Or is that more a matter of etiquette?

---
03-10-2016, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 11:07 PM by theBorg.)
(03-10-2016 10:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  The New Testament is a tale of thirteen guys who spent a whole lot of time together. ..........

1) The 12 people are chosen by the Godman from all the Jews. 2) You can guess how long ago was my last kiss in life. I will never kiss again.

03-10-2016, 11:02 PM
You kinda gotta admire the balls on this Borg guy (metaphorically speaking, of course)...

He comes in here very obviously reading from a Christian apologetics playbook (likely a pamphlet) of "100 Question That Will Stump Atheists", and expects us not to get mad in the face of such blatant "oh so polite" disrespect toward us.

Then he has the testicular fortitude to whine when we enjoy our rights to free speech, including blasphemy against his particular variation on the notion of magical sky fairies... er, I mean, True Gods™... and continues to try to get us to conform our language to his expectations!

Fuck that guy. Fuck him right in the ear hole.

If that is what religion does to a person's mind, I want no part of it.

ETA: Nice one of Jesus getting "nailed" on the cross, Aliza.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post