We'd better say "no false gods", than "no gods"

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 1 Average
14-10-2016, 01:26 PM
RE: We'd better say "no false gods", than "no gods"
I just stop by looking for that telltale line through his name Smile Then it's party time!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
14-10-2016, 01:26 PM
(14-10-2016 01:10 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ................
Oh, it's coming. Video after video will be posted, none of which will we actually watch. ..........

I do not care. I am posting the videos for me.
14-10-2016, 01:41 PM
(14-10-2016 12:27 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ........ had a magic button by which I could see to it that humans never got the idea that there are magic beings in the sky ...........

The straw-man fallacy detected! Why not to describe the True God as the theists do?
Loving, caring, touching, kind, good?

Here is video about the condition:

14-10-2016, 04:53 PM
(14-10-2016 01:41 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 12:27 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ........ had a magic button by which I could see to it that humans never got the idea that there are magic beings in the sky ...........

The straw-man fallacy detected! Why not to describe the True God as the theists do?

Because we can read your scriptures, and none of your gods are (as you put it) "loving, caring, touching, kind, good". Instead, they are monsters, reflecting the absolute worst traits of human tyrants: jealousy, demands for service, strict rules about societal roles, and harsh punishments for trivial things that challenge the social order being enforced. We can read about the condoning of slavery when this "God of the Universe" that was supposedly writing the book could have told His Chosen People™ not to own slaves, rather than to cut off the tips of their penises in order to mark themselves.

Indeed, it is quite clear to us that what you call God, based on the depiction your own scriptures, is a figment of human imagination and a tool for control of gullible masses.

Secondly, Michael Stipe (lead singer of R.E.M.) is a Buddhist and thus an atheist, and that song is not about religion at all.

"Losing My Religion" by Michael Stipe is popular in the atheist community but the song doesn't necessarily refer to losing religion. "Losing my religion" is an expression from the southern region of the United States that means losing one's temper or civility, or "being at the end of one's rope." Stipe told The New York Times the song was about romantic expression. He told Q that "Losing My Religion" is about "someone who pines for someone else. It's unrequited love, what have you." Stipe compared the song's theme to "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, saying, "It's just a classic obsession pop song. I've always felt the best kinds of songs are the ones where anybody can listen to it, put themselves in it and say, 'Yeah, that's me.'"

Source (Bold emphasis mine.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
14-10-2016, 07:28 PM
(14-10-2016 04:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 01:41 PM)theBorg Wrote:  The straw-man fallacy detected! Why not to describe the True God as the theists do?

Because we can read your scriptures, and none of your gods are (as you put it) "loving, caring, touching, kind, good". Instead, they are monsters, reflecting the absolute worst traits of human tyrants: ...............

Made the Jesus from Nazareth any better impression?
14-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Answering questions is hard! Easier to just troll. Hobo

Yeah, I see you there, Borgy. You're not fooling anyone here.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
14-10-2016, 07:36 PM
(14-10-2016 01:41 PM)theBorg Wrote:  

I have no idea what this REM video has to do with anything you write but Thanks! Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my all time favorites.

Front row seats for the Lancelot Link and the Evolution Revolution Reunion Tour!
[+] 1 user Likes chimp3's post
14-10-2016, 07:44 PM
(14-10-2016 07:36 PM)chimp3 Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 01:41 PM)theBorg Wrote:  The straw-man fallacy detected! Why not to describe the True God as the theists do?

I have no idea what this REM video has to do with anything you write but Thanks! Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks. But the following song has also the deep spiritual context. Even the holy person is getting betrayed and murdered: the hypocrites do "love to hate" the holiness.

14-10-2016, 08:53 PM
(14-10-2016 07:44 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 07:36 PM)chimp3 Wrote:  I have no idea what this REM video has to do with anything you write but Thanks! Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks. But the following song has also the deep spiritual context. Even the holy person is getting betrayed and murdered: the hypocrites do "love to hate" the holiness.

Wow, dude, you make bad choices to illustrate your examples.

Erasure may be the gayest band that ever lived. I mean that literally: they were very, very, very homosexual, and most of their songs had that overtone. ("A Little Respect" is one of my favorite songs from their era. Great pop tune.)

"What religion or reason could drive a man to forsake his lover?"

According to the "loving" God that you worship, they would have had to be pelted with rocks by a crowd until dead. "Their blood shall be upon them", it says in Leviticus.

This is one of the many reasons I cannot call your God "good" or loving, or any of the other rose-colored-glasses terms you use to describe it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Oh geez... I may be the only one here, but I just love watching Borg make a fucking idiot of himself. Endless entertainment. I was afraid he was going to leave, but luckily my fears were unwarranted. I'm a sick puppy, I guess.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post