We do make a difference!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
15-01-2011, 11:19 PM
We do make a difference!
So yeah here's the scoop.

I was at work today and one of my employees recognized my voice on a youtube video speaking out against god. To be honest from the moment she mentioned it I was expecting either a confrontation which I would simply try to dismiss as non work related or just to have her quit and say that she can't work for an Atheist.

Instead I got a short speech about how she felt that I was missing part of the point since as a Catholic she was taught that the old testament is wrong on a number of fronts and shouldn't be taken seriously.

My retort was simple and to the point. "Well I don't want to get into the topic since I don't want to offend anyone but you do understand the reason that I put so much focus on the old testament was that without the prophecies and identityH of god contained in those books the new testament would be meaningless. People take the new testament as fact because they say that old testament foretold of Christ's coming. I totally respect freedom of religion and I'm going to never say another word about this at work. Your a great worker and I really am not trying to offend anyone so I don't think we should discuss this much further if at all."

Her response surprised me. She basically said that to some degree I was right. Without the god of the old testament the new would be invalid and then asked me what had made me so convinced to give up on god.

I reminded her I did not want to pursue the matter further. She proceeded to close the door and ask me again nicely.

So I was blunt with her and told her the truth. Reading the entire bible is what convinced me. Fast forward about five minutes of conversation and this gem comes out.

"Hell is kind of a stupid idea". I guess she was always on the fence.

We talked for a bit more about how we can't discuss this at work but I would be more then happy to discuss it outside of work. She left but not before remarking that I had given her a lot to think about.

My point is that even if we don't mean to sometimes by just being good and honest people and voicing our opinions we do make a lot of progress in the world towards ending the charade of religious dogma.

We do make a difference.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 01:47 AM

RE: We do make a difference!
That's amazing, and really inspiring Smile
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 02:17 AM
That was great.Lead by example , always .
Also - you have employees ? Big Grin
16-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Pat on the back to you Godless. Sounds like you handled the situation really well, without compromising your own morals. Not an easy task! Making someone think isn't just a good thing. It's the best thing.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-01-2011, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2011 11:53 PM by Godless.)
Yeah I have employees. I run a coffee shop and I love my job. I get to meet all kind of people and have a good conversation.

It's what I got for years of sociology and religious studies in university....debt and no promises of a good job. So I took a management job that I found was pretty enjoyable.

I hope to open up my own business one day and run for city council.

Our mayor and entire council regularly promote religious events as a positive for our city. I intend to at least run on the partial platform that council should be focusing our efforts on managing the city not commenting on religion. It's not the place of local government.
16-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Good luck. I'd vote for you if you were in my area.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
17-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Ahh, the beacon of hope Smile
17-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Nice. Big Grin

Well I hope things still continuing good. I've meet people who were fired or quit due to religious reasons.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2011, 08:14 AM
You took the argument very maturely and in that she was able to respect your opinion. Perhaps you have made a difference by causing her to question her faith but only time shall tell. Let us know if more events unfold.

[Image: websig.png]
21-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum, Ms Rukia! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner