We have learned a lot in 2,000 years

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 03:38 PM
We have learned a lot in 2,000 years
I find it fascinating that Christians base their beliefs on a book written over 2,000 years ago. Even in the face of modern scientific evidence that contradicts most of these claims. They believe the story of Adam and Eve over evolution because the Bible says it. They believe in creationism over the Big Bang because of the Bible.

In a friendly discussion I had with an acquaintance the other day I brought this up. I said do you also believe the Earth is flat because they believed that 2,000 years ago. Do you think someone has a seizure because of a neurological disorder or that they are possessed by an evil spirits like they believed 2,000 years ago.

Why do they realize the absurdity of some Biblical claims yet allow themselves to be dumbed down for many other biblical claims? They will say no to both of the above then admit that they believe in the story of Noah's Ark.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
14-04-2012, 05:11 PM
RE: We have learned a lot in 2,000 years
They do not. They base their beliefs on whatever the minister tells them to base their beliefs on. Buncha atheists should know this. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2012, 06:42 PM
We've come from bronze age goat herders to landing on the moon.
The religious compartmentalize their reasoning.
Turn it off when they must to believe.
The can give up the flat earth, but not the Adam and Even story.
It's like the guy who shoots the abortion clinic doctor. He admist that murder is wrong, but the "exception" is following God's law.
There is no reasoning with them, only pointing it out and laughing at them.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
15-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Take the fantastic things that the Bible says occured and put them into todays world. Would the religious ask for evidence or just take them by their word as they do with the Bible.

- If they read a story about a modern day girl in New York that had a child but never had intercourse would they say, yep makes sense, or would they demand proof

- If a friend told them there was a man in Africa that could flap his arms and fly through the air. Would they think thats cool or would they not believe until they saw it for themselves.

- Take a modern day magician. Do they believe that he really made a women disappear or do they realize it must be a trick because science doesn't support such a thing.

Obviously everyone would say, "prove it", "I have to see it to believe it", "Thats not possible". But somebody writes down a fantastic claim 2,000 years ago and millions of people think it must be true. This guy in my book said it happened so it must be a fact. Sure he also thought his crops died because God was pissed off.

I am . . . until I'm not
17-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I think there is a fundamental flaw in comparing what the religious already take on faith, and then asking them why they don't take EVERYTHING they hear on faith. Obviously they are delusional when it comes to their religion, but people are still for the most part rational beings that live in a tangible world. When it comes to current matters, they are critical because the current event is outside of their religion and so do not immediately accept the information. They might not believe a man can fly by flapping his arms, but they do believe in miracles, such as statues weeping blood. Miracles are a part of their religion, and so it falls into the realm of faith which in turn garners belief in it.

You and I might still see a flaw in this way of thinking, but I think there is still a distinction that can be recognized here.
17-04-2012, 04:31 PM
(17-04-2012 01:13 PM)arbmouser Wrote:  I think there is a fundamental flaw in comparing what the religious already take on faith, and then asking them why they don't take EVERYTHING they hear on faith. Obviously they are delusional when it comes to their religion, but people are still for the most part rational beings that live in a tangible world. When it comes to current matters, they are critical because the current event is outside of their religion and so do not immediately accept the information. They might not believe a man can fly by flapping his arms, but they do believe in miracles, such as statues weeping blood. Miracles are a part of their religion, and so it falls into the realm of faith which in turn garners belief in it.

You and I might still see a flaw in this way of thinking, but I think there is still a distinction that can be recognized here.
I know thats how they think but I have a hard time giving them a pass. They believe a young women conceived a child without intercourse and a man walked on water and another parted a sea. My point is put those same scenarios in today's news and it would be laughed at. But since ancient texts say they happened they are taken as undeniable truths.

I am . . . until I'm not
17-04-2012, 07:18 PM
(14-04-2012 03:38 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I find it fascinating that Christians base their beliefs on a book written over 2,000 years ago. Even in the face of modern scientific evidence that contradicts most of these claims. They believe the story of Adam and Eve over evolution because the Bible says it. They believe in creationism over the Big Bang because of the Bible.

Why do they realize the absurdity of some Biblical claims yet allow themselves to be dumbed down for many other biblical claims? They will say no to both of the above then admit that they believe in the story of Noah's Ark.
Actually studying and understanding science takes effort. It doesn't make you popular. Religion, on the other hand, takes zero effort. You don't have to study anything -- especially not the Bible. It makes you popular, at least here in America. You fit in with your family and the culture. Life is harder when you go against the grain.
[+] 2 users Like Blood's post