We lost one to the Dark Side in 2012

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 06:15 PM by WillHopp.)
We lost one to the Dark Side in 2012
Is this really news? I love the comments that she was never really an atheist. Classic.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/22...tholicism/

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2016, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 06:10 PM by pablo.)
RE: We lost one to the Dark Side today
She starts out claiming her belief in an objective morality. How that brought her to Catholicism in particular, out of all the possible denominations to choose from, puzzles me.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-01-2016, 05:58 PM
(05-01-2016 05:42 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Is this really news? I love the comments that she was never really an atheist. Classic.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/22...tholicism/

That's from June 2012 so she switched over 3 years ago.
Quote:“I had one thing that I was most certain of, which is that morality is something we have a duty to,” Libresco told CNN in an interview this week, a small cross dangling from her neck. “And it is external from us. And when push came to shove, that is the belief I wouldn’t let go of. And that is something I can’t prove.”

I don't know if she was an atheist or not but given that quote I'd say she isn't a skeptic. She has a firm belief despite knowing she doesn't have evidence for it. Given that she is stating clearly that she doesn't have facts to support her decision the author's closing statement is a masterpiece of theistic blinders:
Quote:Libresco is just switching the side she thinks the facts are on.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-01-2016, 06:05 PM
"Prominent blogger." Hm...never heard of her (except when this happened 3 years ago). I wonder how she's doing, following that Paragon of Morality, the Catholic Church?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-01-2016, 06:08 PM
(05-01-2016 06:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  "Prominent blogger." Hm...never heard of her (except when this happened 3 years ago). I wonder how she's doing, following that Paragon of Morality, the Catholic Church?

She's still blogging at Patheos and is apparently still Catholic although I only skimmed a few posts. Her latest was just a few days ago.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-01-2016, 06:10 PM
(05-01-2016 05:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  She starts out claiming her belief in an objective morality. How that brought her to Catholicism in particular, out of all the possible denominations to choose from, puzzles me.

Or Christianity out of all the possible religions. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Oh jeez, my Facebook feed made it seem like it was today. Ugh.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
05-01-2016, 06:14 PM
I have a hard time understanding how somebody could be convinced that a specific god exists from an atheist position (if anything I could see going deistic). It's really the same to me as trying to convince me that invisible unicorns exist. The only difference would be cultural influence and peer pressure I suppose.

Super weird, but if it happened it happened.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
05-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Meh. This is akin to throwing a dixie cup of water back into a river during a flood and painting a picture that the tide is turning.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-01-2016, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 06:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: We lost one to the Dark Side in 2012
(05-01-2016 06:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  "Prominent blogger." Hm...never heard of her (except when this happened 3 years ago). I wonder how she's doing, following that Paragon of Morality, the Catholic Church?

Her "boyfriend" was a Catholic. Also as I recall, she actually said she began to buy into (Greek) "idealism" (which could be refuted by a 2nd Grader). Facepalm
I also wonder where she is now. I found her compelling *never* ... pre or post conversion.
I don't think "we lost" anyone. She was never compelling in the first place.
Good riddance.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post