We lost one to the Dark Side in 2012

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 06:23 PM
RE: We lost one to the Dark Side in 2012
Never heard of her. Could not give less of a shit. I think I have heard of Mehta though. Isn't he the Friendly Atheist?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-01-2016, 06:23 PM
from her bio
Quote:And Catholicism seemed like the most trustworthy form of Christianity.

Whaaaaaat? Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
05-01-2016, 06:31 PM
(05-01-2016 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never heard of her. Could not give less of a shit. I think I have heard of Mehta though. Isn't he the Friendly Atheist?

Yes.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2016, 06:32 PM
(05-01-2016 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never heard of her. Could not give less of a shit. I think I have heard of Mehta though. Isn't he the Friendly Atheist?

That's him. Thumbsup
06-01-2016, 12:51 PM
(05-01-2016 06:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  "Prominent blogger." Hm...never heard of her (except when this happened 3 years ago). I wonder how she's doing, following that Paragon of Morality, the Catholic Church?

I don't think the personal morality of individuals within the Catholic hierarchy (or even the policies of the hierarchy as a whole) is really relevant here. I used to be a Catholic, and I left the Church because their theology didn't make sense, not because of the pedophile scandal or the wealth of the Vatican or any of that. If the theology did make sense, and I believed it was true, I would still be a Catholic, regardless of the behavior of anyone in the hierarchy.

You can find corruption and malfeasance in any organization. My beliefs are not dependent on that. It's far more important to determine whether or not the object of belief is actually true. The Catholic clergy could have actually been paragons of morality, and I would still have left -- because the theology is absurd.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-01-2016, 02:21 PM
I don't know if I would call her a Prominent Atheist. Like everyone else her I have no Idea who she is. Now If we hear Richard Dawkins, or Aron Ra converted that would be news. I did quick youtube search shows nothing of her more then a year. And view counts are very low. So we can see how the rest of the community really cares.

She likes talking about Prayer likes it's complicated. "I didn't know how to properly pray."
Step 1: Close eyes and lower head.
Step 2: Wish for something.
Step 3: Open eyes and praise god.

In the conversation between the friendly Atheist and her she never really answers any the questions. She spends more of her time dancing around the topic with large unnecessary words.

If I had to guess. I would say it may be a cash grab. She wrote a book and I'm assuming she knows the market how quickly they might want to buy this topic.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
06-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Well really, if there was even 1, I couldn't really say who a particular "prominent" blogger was. I've been doing, reading, or looking at without reading due to laziness of blogs for years but I just think it's a range I don't think nearly anyone gets into anymore. Maybe that's why the bar is so low. There are prominent vloggers now.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-01-2016, 07:39 PM
(06-01-2016 02:21 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I don't know if I would call her a Prominent Atheist. Like everyone else her I have no Idea who she is. Now If we hear Richard Dawkins, or Aron Ra converted that would be news. I did quick youtube search shows nothing of her more then a year. And view counts are very low. So we can see how the rest of the community really cares.

She likes talking about Prayer likes it's complicated. "I didn't know how to properly pray."
Step 1: Close eyes and lower head.
Step 2: Wish for something.
Step 3: Open eyes and praise god.

In the conversation between the friendly Atheist and her she never really answers any the questions. She spends more of her time dancing around the topic with large unnecessary words.

If I had to guess. I would say it may be a cash grab. She wrote a book and I'm assuming she knows the market how quickly they might want to buy this topic.

It's a growing market. Christian book sections are a lot bigger than they used to be, and Catholics especially seem to love former nonbelievers who convert on what they spin as intellectual grounds. Catholics, in my experience, love to hear people praise the complexity and nuance of Catholic doctrine. (And compared to, say, Baptist or Mormon doctrine, they have a point.)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-01-2016, 07:52 PM
She just likes the Catholics because they have the best snacks. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-01-2016, 10:00 PM
I guess to some people, honest thinking is hard work... So she retired