We need a travel thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 10:32 PM
We need a travel thread
It just occurred to me that there isn't a travel thread on here, or if there is, I'm too stupid to find it. Wouldn't we benefit from knowing who is traveling where, who has been where, travel tips, hotspots, etc?

Like, in less than two weeks I'm headed to Spain and Portugal. First we are cruising transatlantic for two weeks, stopping in San Juan, Ibiza, Malaga, Azores and ending in Barcelona. But I've traveled quite extensively over the past decade or so and I've read some posts on here about people going places, but never saw a dedicated thread.

Wouldn't that be a good thing? I tried back in the summer to illicit some advice about Seattle when I was going there and got some good tips. If that were in a dedicated travel thread or subforum or whatever, then it would be a fine resource. No?

People could also find out if you are traveling to their country and could hook up, etc.

Just a thought.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-04-2017, 10:51 PM
RE: We need a travel thread
If you like history and architecture when you get to Spain head north of Madrid to Segovia and see the Alcazar

[Image: Avila.jpg]

and at nearby Avila spend the night inside the walled city.

[Image: avila-walls-66.jpg?imgmax=800]

When you get to Portugal go to the coast and see Cascais in the Sintra region and check this place out, Pena Palace

[Image: sintra_castelo.jpg]

Take in a Fado at a local pub while drinking a nice Port wine

Have fun, enjoy! Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Thanks buddy! I'm definitely doing the Sintra trip when I get to Lisbon!

I only have two days in Madrid so I might not get to Segovia.

I'm going to complete the Dali trifecta when I'm in Barcelona. I've been to his museum in Montmartre in Paris and his St. Pete museum is 15 mins from my house. Not too many people have completed this Dali triple crown I would guess, so I'm stoked.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
07-04-2017, 01:50 AM
Try the Cathedral of Sevilla (including tomb of Columbus)
[Image: 196_Catedral_de_Sevilla.jpg]

And the Alcazar, most stunning thing after the Alhambra
[Image: Patio_de_las_doncellas.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
07-04-2017, 03:36 AM
If it's a Thread you want then just start one. If you are looking for a Subcategory though that is a different story.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
07-04-2017, 04:58 AM
Next month I will be taking my annual trip around Great Britain. I will buy a 7-day First Class All Line Rover rail ticket and travel on various operators' trains to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Brighton, Swansea and other less pleasant places like London. Three journeys involve lines that I have never travelled upon.

When the summer is over, I'll start planning for next year.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
07-04-2017, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 05:44 AM by ukatheist.)
(07-04-2017 01:50 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Try the Cathedral of Sevilla (including tomb of Columbus)
[Image: 196_Catedral_de_Sevilla.jpg]

And the Alcazar, most stunning thing after the Alhambra
[Image: Patio_de_las_doncellas.jpg]

Agreed, the Alhambra is stunning, the carved walls are simply gorgeous. Advice though if you're thinking about going - get your tickets in advance. They stagger entry times to stop it getting too crowded so if you turn up on the day you may have to wait a few hours before you can get in. You can walk down into Granada though to pass the time away.

Edit to add: I would guess its 3-4 hours by car from Malaga, when I visited I was staying between the two (in Nerja).
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
07-04-2017, 07:17 AM
(07-04-2017 03:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  If it's a Thread you want then just start one. If you are looking for a Subcategory though that is a different story.

Yeah, I'm thinking subcategory. It might be in the works.

Thanks to everyone for the travel suggestions!!!

----
07-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Done!

"We are here to serve"

If there are some older travel-related threads that you (anyone) started that you'd like moved to this new category, please let me know.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
07-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Holt shit, I can't believe it actually happened. The forum will never be the same again.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post