We need only One, just One Commandment.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: We need only One, just One Commandment.
(24-04-2014 01:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 01:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I've heard this before. A better command would be, "Be kind".

Be a polar bear. That'd be fuckin' great. Or a baboon. I wanna be a baboon.

Stark is the baboon so that's out. Hey, maybe as the Polar bear you could eat that fucking seal that is running around here somewhere Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-04-2014, 01:56 PM
(24-04-2014 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There are times as a parent that my husband and I feel we have done a great job raising our kids and yesterday was one of them.

While talking causally in the kitchen the subject of religion and it's rules and regulations came up and my 19 year old daughter pipes up with the need for just One Commandment. Here it is.........

Commandment # 1: "Just Don't Be A Dick".

As we were discussing the subject further I realized that the "Just Don't Be A Dick" Commandment covers pretty much everything, especially the all secular rules. If you go out and murder someone you're being a Big Dick and need to not do that, pronto. If you steal money from someone you're being a Moderate Dick and need to stop. If you are greedy and covet your neighbors beautiful wife or fantastic, brand new lawn mower it's Sort Of Being A Dick but it's not too bad.

So "Just Don't Be A Dick" has some great potential for being the one and only commandment and my two daughters, my husband and I feel it should be up for consideration. I can visualize it etched on the front of the Supreme Court Building in DC too.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Its short, succinct, to the point. Maybe we can just call it a motto instead of a commandment like so...

I play it cool
And dig all jive.
That’s the reason
I stay alive.
My motto,
As I live and learn, is:
Dig And Be Dug In Return.
-Langston Hughes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
24-04-2014, 02:08 PM
(24-04-2014 01:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
I play it cool
And dig all jive.
That’s the reason
I stay alive.
My motto,
As I live and learn, is:
-Langston Hughes

He worked at a cemetery.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-04-2014, 03:24 PM
(24-04-2014 12:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There are times as a parent that my husband and I feel we have done a great job raising our kids and yesterday was one of them.

While talking causally in the kitchen the subject of religion and it's rules and regulations came up and my 19 year old daughter pipes up with the need for just One Commandment. Here it is.........

Commandment # 1: "Just Don't Be A Dick".

As we were discussing the subject further I realized that the "Just Don't Be A Dick" Commandment covers pretty much everything, especially the all secular rules. If you go out and murder someone you're being a Big Dick and need to not do that, pronto. If you steal money from someone you're being a Moderate Dick and need to stop. If you are greedy and covet your neighbors beautiful wife or fantastic, brand new lawn mower it's Sort Of Being A Dick but it's not too bad.

So "Just Don't Be A Dick" has some great potential for being the one and only commandment and my two daughters, my husband and I feel it should be up for consideration. I can visualize it etched on the front of the Supreme Court Building in DC too.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Wheaton's Law

[Image: cfe.jpg]

[Image: 434.jpg]

[Image: 9a5.jpg]

Tongue

I should print those and give them to my daughter to put up in her room. Don't be a dick is her official mantra, it's mine now too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-04-2014, 03:55 PM
(24-04-2014 02:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 01:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
I play it cool
And dig all jive.
That’s the reason
I stay alive.
My motto,
As I live and learn, is:
-Langston Hughes

He worked at a cemetery.

No shit? I didn't know that. I memorized that poem in HS and has stayed with me till this day.

25-04-2014, 12:27 AM
(24-04-2014 03:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 02:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  He worked at a cemetery.

No shit? I didn't know that. I memorized that poem in HS and has stayed with me till this day.

I was joking Tongue 'Dig and be dug'... I also love that poem, I think you might have introduced me to it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-04-2014, 06:45 AM
(25-04-2014 12:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 03:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  No shit? I didn't know that. I memorized that poem in HS and has stayed with me till this day.

I was joking Tongue 'Dig and be dug'... I also love that poem, I think you might have introduced me to it.

Facepalm Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-04-2014, 11:57 AM
(24-04-2014 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Commandment # 1: "Just Don't Be A Dick".
Translation (since Yahweh wouldn't say "dick"):
Don't do as I (Yahweh) do.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
25-04-2014, 05:05 PM
How about "Question Everything"?

Repeatedly asking themselves or others why they perform a particular action or hold a particular view might lead many people to the commonly perceived state of not being a dick.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks