We need to make science and knowledge as wonderous as magic.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-12-2015, 05:31 PM
We need to make science and knowledge as wonderous as magic.
I know that I am preaching to the choir, and I sound like Bill Nye. But I think Bill has a point in what he does. Raw science isn't as exciting as many would like, but the wonders that are revealed and come from it are truly magical (in a sense). We need more Carl Sagan, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson to take us on the epic journey. Children want to know what the magic is made of. It's up to us to show them the truth.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like The Drake's post
26-12-2015, 05:53 PM
RE: We need to make science and knowledge as wonderous as magic.
(26-12-2015 05:31 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I know that I am preaching to the choir, and I sound like Bill Nye. But I think Bill has a point in what he does. Raw science isn't as exciting as many would like, but the wonders that are revealed and come from it are truly magical (in a sense). We need more Carl Sagan, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson to take us on the epic journey. Children want to know what the magic is made of. It's up to us to show them the truth.

The problem with science as a fad (something that people crave) is that the answers are often complex whereas magic/fantasy is easy. You are correct about needing more powerhouses like NdT, Nye and Sagan. We also need science for children in our animations.

We loved The Magic School Bus, when the only magic was that kids love discovering science. Sadly, if you don't target 8yrs olds you'll go over the heads of many of the adults in the USA.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
26-12-2015, 06:02 PM
The kids know that it's science that makes their X-Box and PS-4 run. Science wins.Thumbsup

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
26-12-2015, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2015 06:11 PM by DLJ.)
(26-12-2015 05:53 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  We loved The Magic School Bus, when the only magic was that kids love discovering science. Sadly, if you don't target 8yrs olds you'll go over the heads of many of the adults in the USA.

Problem is, too many adults nowadays have the minds of 8 year olds when it comes to science.

[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
26-12-2015, 06:11 PM
(26-12-2015 06:02 PM)f stop Wrote:  The kids know that it's science that makes their X-Box and PS-4 run. Science wins.Thumbsup

Yeah but they need to know the science behind it. Like I said "How does the magic work?".

26-12-2015, 06:17 PM
(26-12-2015 06:11 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(26-12-2015 06:02 PM)f stop Wrote:  The kids know that it's science that makes their X-Box and PS-4 run. Science wins.Thumbsup

Yeah but they need to know the science behind it. Like I said "How does the magic work?".

And it's not just video games...I'm 48 and still play video games. But we just got back pictures from Pluto that were 9 years in the making. How awesome was that ??? We need people that think like that.

26-12-2015, 06:33 PM
(26-12-2015 05:53 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(26-12-2015 05:31 PM)The Drake Wrote:  I know that I am preaching to the choir, and I sound like Bill Nye. But I think Bill has a point in what he does. Raw science isn't as exciting as many would like, but the wonders that are revealed and come from it are truly magical (in a sense). We need more Carl Sagan, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson to take us on the epic journey. Children want to know what the magic is made of. It's up to us to show them the truth.

The problem with science as a fad (something that people crave) is that the answers are often complex whereas magic/fantasy is easy. You are correct about needing more powerhouses like NdT, Nye and Sagan. We also need science for children in our animations.

We loved The Magic School Bus, when the only magic was that kids love discovering science. Sadly, if you don't target 8yrs olds you'll go over the heads of many of the adults in the USA.

Honestly I think science should be a fad (in today's meaning). One generation often passes a fad down to the next thereby making it common and no longer a fad. Leg warmers were a fad in the old sense.

27-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Why would you want to diminish the beauty of the universe and the wonder that science has given us by trying to make it more like magic?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
27-12-2015, 03:59 AM

I actually think the opposite. The presentation of science is far too focused on the results, IMO. The results are awesome and a lot of them should be learned, but it's far more important to understand the method. Not necessarily the nitty-gritty details like confidence intervals and so on, but the more general philosophy of empiricism. Break it down into a basic game of "we're weighing two possibilities, so let's ask what would be different if one was true or the other was false, and then let's go looking for that". That's something kids can have fun with if it's presented right, and that sort of logical, evidence-based philosophy will do far more to promote science than showing a lot of pretty CGI pictures of stellar nucleosynthesis or cell mitosis. Yes, presenting the results of science is needed and does have a place, but it should be a lower priority than instilling the method.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
27-12-2015, 02:46 PM
(27-12-2015 01:24 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Why would you want to diminish the beauty of the universe and the wonder that science has given us by trying to make it more like magic?

Not "more like". As a kid I always liked magic shows. I knew it was an illusion but I thought it was amazing, to the point I wanted to know "HOW'D THEY DO THAT ?". So I bought myself a magic kit and learned a few tricks. I had the same curiosity for science. My favorite teacher was my chemistry teacher. He was like a magician in the way he got students involved. He would show you the trick first, and then show you how it was done and the method behind it.