We need to make science and knowledge as wonderous as magic.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-02-2016, 08:16 AM
RE: We need to make science and knowledge as wonderous as magic.
(18-02-2016 01:17 AM)The Drake Wrote:  Familiarity breeds contempt.

Once something becomes widespread, it becomes mundane, for better or worse. If you were to take someone in a time-machine from the height of the Cold War that was the Cuban Missile Crisis, and transport them to now they're be justifiably horrified at the current state of disrepair of America's nuclear arsenal and the complete public disinterest; while simultaneously being astounded by current smartphones that practically rival Tricorders from Star Trek.

Richard Dawkins Wrote:There is an anaesthetic of of familiarity, a sedative of ordinariness, which dulls the senses and hides the wonder of existence. For those of us not gifted in poetry, it is at least worth while from time to time making an effort to shake off the anaesthetic...

... it is now widely accepted that the mitochondria, along with other vitally necessary structures within our cells, not only resemble bacteria but are directly descended from ancestral bacteria who, a billion year ago, gave up their freedom. Each one of us is a city of cells, and each cell a town of bacteria. You are a gigantic megalopolis of bacteria. Doesn't that lift the anaesthetic's pall?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2016, 07:56 AM
I tend to think teaching about what science means to people makes it magical.

Yesterday I sat and stared at the construction site of a new business building. The steel beams had just gone up, and they were working on getting other parts of the foundation ready for more steel. I know the reinforcing in that concrete, every pin and grate, and what it does. I see the steel and my mind superimposes the walls and facade that it will support. I know the stresses, the loading capacity, I can see all of that.

But more I can see how that steel was made. I see the furnaces taking scrap metal and making new material. The hot and cold rolling. I know about the ore, which came to earth billions of years ago after being forged in the heart of stars, to lie in the earth's crust as the new oxygen from the photosynthesis of new life reacted with the iron to form iron oxides.

This is beautiful. This is amazing. But we all just walk past it all the time. Why?

Because it is common. Science is common, it's everywhere. Like the wildflowers on the side of the road, we take it for granted. Magic is novel, science is mundane. Most people either don't know about what goes into making the world around them, or they have other things to think about.

People have been beleaguering the loss of appreciation for the ordinary for a LONG time. What is needed isn't more distractions, but more time for reflection and introspection. A moment to stop and look around and marvel.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
28-02-2016, 08:09 PM
(20-02-2016 07:56 AM)natachan Wrote:  I tend to think teaching about what science means to people makes it magical.

Yesterday I sat and stared at the construction site of a new business building. The steel beams had just gone up, and they were working on getting other parts of the foundation ready for more steel. I know the reinforcing in that concrete, every pin and grate, and what it does. I see the steel and my mind superimposes the walls and facade that it will support. I know the stresses, the loading capacity, I can see all of that.

But more I can see how that steel was made. I see the furnaces taking scrap metal and making new material. The hot and cold rolling. I know about the ore, which came to earth billions of years ago after being forged in the heart of stars, to lie in the earth's crust as the new oxygen from the photosynthesis of new life reacted with the iron to form iron oxides.

This is beautiful. This is amazing. But we all just walk past it all the time. Why?

Because it is common. Science is common, it's everywhere. Like the wildflowers on the side of the road, we take it for granted. Magic is novel, science is mundane. Most people either don't know about what goes into making the world around them, or they have other things to think about.

People have been beleaguering the loss of appreciation for the ordinary for a LONG time. What is needed isn't more distractions, but more time for reflection and introspection. A moment to stop and look around and marvel.

Yes, this too. My argument for Bill Nye lies mostly in the excitement and awe that science can bring. But I speak from a male perspective...MAKE THINGS GO BOOM..."OOOOOOOOH !". But every now and then that tiny little purple wildflower catches my eye, and I'm like "WOW". There is beauty AND awe in that one tiny little thing. Magic may be novel. But science will never be mundane.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
29-02-2016, 07:48 AM

Happy now?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
03-04-2016, 05:02 PM
(29-02-2016 07:48 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Happy now?

Yes I am. FIRE FIRE...HEHEEH.[Image: bevises_fire__by_beavis_and_butthead.jpg]

The second mouse gets the cheese.