We need you to fix the country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 02:37 PM
We need you to fix the country
Quote:I come here today with a request for the Class of '08.
We need you to fix the country.
And I'm sorry to ask this of you. And I'm deadly serious and we really do. I am 49 and on behalf of my generation, I'm so sorry, but the internet is so cool.
http://kb.osu.edu/dspace/handle/1811/54036

It looks like NBC may have scrubbed the archives of the video.

Quote:Delivering the commencement address Sunday at Ohio State University in Columbus, where he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Journalism degree, NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams implied America is broken as he told the graduates: “We need you to fix the country.”

That clip, squeezed in between Al Gore at Carnegie Mellon and Martin Sheen at Notre Dame, aired as part of an annual compilation of commencement advice run at the end of Monday's NBC Nightly News. NBC also aired this from Williams: “We need you all now to step up. And every adult in this place has every faith that you're up to the job.”

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/bren...ix-country

So, do you think the graduates have any ideas to begin with?
Anybody got any ideas?

Bueller; . . . Ferris Bueller???
YesLaugh out loadBig GrinRolleyesThumbsup

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2016, 03:14 PM
RE: We need you to fix the country
(28-06-2016 02:37 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  So, do you think the graduates have any ideas to begin with?
Anybody got any ideas?

I do. I believe they think they can realize The Singularity. .... I'm not betting against them.

#sigh
28-06-2016, 07:51 PM
The first problem with «fixing» the USA is that they aren't exactly borken. The economy is in rather good health, the justice system is operating, basic public services are fonctionning and it doesn't have any outside or inside imminant threat to its stability. Sure there are shinnier turds on the playground, but we are far from a Syrian, Ukrainian, North Korean, Congolese scenario. They are in even better shape now than Mexico or even the UK since the Brexit. There is no emergency to make major change and disturb the status quo for a state of political, economical and social instability.

The other problem is that there is 300 million American and no one has a clear, largely accepted vision of what the USA should become. There is some common point of interest like mistrust of the political class and the great bourgeoisie at the head the country, but also mistrust amongst various ethnic groups and political organisations. You don't «fix» such a behemoth of a country easily and even less without outside influence.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
29-06-2016, 12:01 AM
epronovost

It reads to me like someone with a brain has joined the forum since I last visited

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
29-06-2016, 06:50 AM
(29-06-2016 12:01 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  epronovost

It reads to me like someone with a brain has joined the forum since I last visited

Don't worry, considering my beliefs and post history and yours, you will find me brainless very soon. That being said, did you wanted to talk about potential changes to the USA that would improve the lives of its citizens without damaging its relationship with its allies?

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
29-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Yes, I would like to hear all you got.

I am putting together a retort to your first post there - it was late when I read your post, and I wanted to think about it, and consider whether I want to publish it here, or not. Your description is very good, it seems to hit the points that most people would recognize and agree with, some would probably disagree, but not be able to offer that the country needs a correction/adjustment. #BlackLivesMatter is not going to agree with the adequate assessment of the justice system, and their adjustments are somewhat superficial. Economists I trust suggest a (2-3) percentage of growth is necessary and is corrected by taxation legislation - the Obama Administration suggests everything is alright, where as my economists say things are deceptive. I think our public services are outstanding and the envy of the world.

Your description of the "other problem" is very compelling, although, I believe there are visionaries who foresee a robot served society in the future. And competing with that are the ignorant who will buy in to the politician who suggest that white people would like to see "blacks put back in chains." Which leads to your point about social stratification - you make it sound to be almost trivial. Where as, I see it as being extremely volatile, because it is wrought with a couple of decades of constructing opposing doctrines.

The grand vision I have is that a new political charter system for the USA would benefit the world by providing the governing system that can be replicated.

I believe that most Americans do not understand why our system is not replicated by other countries - because it is not as simple as our elementary civics class descriptions of it, and the corruptions that were deployed to build the "behemoth" cannot be taught or replicated in societies that are in search of an honest government.

29-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Without going into great detail about the potential improvement to a country in which I don't live, I would say these are some changes that I think could improve and solidify the American society.

1) A better, more generous wealth redistribution system to strenghten the American social net to reduce structural poverty.

2) A slightly less interventionist foreign policy and better cooperation with some economical rivals and allies.

3) A limit on political party spendings during campaign and the deployment of a permanent anti corruption police force to enforce it.

4) De-privatise the correctionnal system, end of the «War on Drugs», end to the minimal sentencing system.