We're thinking of moving.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2015, 07:39 PM
We're thinking of moving.
So due to a lot of different things going on in both me and my wife's life and both of us going into a transition period next year we're trying to relocate. I'm wondering if I can get a little advice on some places to consider. Some states we are considering are: Maine, Michigan, Washington state. If you would have a different suggestion here are so key things we are looking for.

-Rural area within a 20-30 mile distance of a metro/urban area
-Reasonable Medical Marijuana laws
-good Job market(She's an educator with a master's in education/I'm an Analyst)
-cheap housing market(250k-300k 3-4 bedroom housing and/or cheap land)
-relaxed gun/hunting laws

It should also be noted that we are planing to launch our non-profit soon so somewhere where the laws aren't crazy restrictive on such endeavors. I can't think of anything else we are looking for that a must but I'll add it later if it comes up. Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
02-11-2015, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 08:09 PM by yakherder.)
RE: We're thinking of moving.
(02-11-2015 07:39 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So due to a lot of different things going on in both me and my wife's life and both of us going into a transition period next year we're trying to relocate. I'm wondering if I can get a little advice on some places to consider. Some states we are considering are: Maine, Michigan, Washington state. If you would have a different suggestion here are so key things we are looking for.

It should also be noted that we are planing to launch our non-profit soon so somewhere where the laws aren't crazy restrictive on such endeavors. I can't think of anything else we are looking for that a must but I'll add it later if it comes up. Thanks in advance!

Don't know anything about Michigan, but I grew up mostly in Washington and live pretty close to Maine right now.

Gun laws in Washington can be annoying, though if your main interest is hunting then you should be good. Maine and Washington are both phenomenal places for hunting. If you're talking self defense, Maine has the more relaxed gun laws, hands down. It just became a constitutional carry state (no concealed carry permit required to conceal) a couple of weeks ago.

Washington has more developed urban areas, but plenty of boonies. Seattle and the cities that have sprouted up around it are fairly densely populated, but once you get far enough into the peninsula it's basically wilderness. Unless you're talking about moving to Seattle, Tacoma, etc., you should be able to get a place away from the crowds without having to drive too far for it. Maine is considerably more sparse, and doesn't have a single city that reaches 100k population.

Washington has legalized pot. Maine has not, but medical is fairly easy to get if you have a qualifying condition (which includes PTSD).

Housing in Washington and Maine is comparable overall. Note that if you try to get anywhere near Seattle, that changes. Seattle is ridiculous expensive. Not like California, but expensive nonetheless.

For an analyst, I'd give the job market edge to Washington. As an educator, the market is probably comparable. The wage would vary more in Washington, as would the level of competition.

Maine will likely be more sympathetic towards veterans in hiring practices and stuff like that. If you get anywhere near Seattle, they won't give a flying fuck about you.

It's always raining in Washington, but it doesn't really get cold. Just chilly. In Maine, it gets cold.

I loved growing up in Washington, and even though Seattle pisses me off sometimes, it has its appeal too.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
02-11-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking of moving to Maine myself. I vacationed in various parts of Maine when I lived in MA. I absolutely love it there. From what I have heard/read, the gun laws are good.

I love Portland--but that's a city and probably where I'd be headed. South Portland is nice too, a lil out of the city. I also really like the Old Orchard Beach area, Kittery, and Acton.

I would suggest you and your wife check job boards to see what the outlook is for your careers in the areas you are considering.

I did find some reasonable apartments in Maine (MUCH better cost-wise than in MA and CA).
03-11-2015, 07:19 AM
(02-11-2015 07:39 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So due to a lot of different things going on in both me and my wife's life and both of us going into a transition period next year we're trying to relocate. I'm wondering if I can get a little advice on some places to consider. Some states we are considering are: Maine, Michigan, Washington state. If you would have a different suggestion here are so key things we are looking for.

I'm in SW Mich.. We've got everything you want -- with one exception

The job market sucks ass...... I would NOT recommend coming here - if you don't have a job lined up beforehand......

Other "benefits" -- they salt the roads - so your car will rust out in 5 years. What the salt doesn't get - the potholes in the road will finish off. We've got the worst roads in the country. If you want a real challenge -- buy a rigid framed motorcycle and try riding it around for a while, without giving yourself a rupture.....

Of course - we can get a CCW now -- and they gutted the helmet law - so you don't HAVE to wear a skid lid anymore..... (and the registration is still cheap -- $23 a year for a motorcycle)....

The housing market is still pretty soft -- you can get a hellava nice place for under $200,000 -- and something perfectly livable for under $80,000....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-11-2015, 07:28 AM
You should check into the cost of living in the various states, compared to where you are now. There are websites that will compare states, zip codes, even cities. I looked into this a few years ago, when we were considering relocating.

I did a quick google, and found this site:
da feds

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky