We should exalt Richard Dawkins as a mythical religious leader!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2014, 10:36 AM
RE: We should exalt Richard Dawkins as a mythical religious leader!
(25-04-2014 04:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-04-2014 04:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Who is "Dawkings?" And have you been drinking? Dodgy

Sorry yes accidental g added in there. Alas I have sullied his glorious name and shall self flagellate until I reach sub-space. I shall now edit my post.

FacepalmLaugh out load
Are you doing your own after-care too?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2014, 08:25 AM
I know I am a man alone on this forum but I feel I have come to a new understanding of religion which helps me deal with them.

1. Religions stem from a different age, where those who controlled societies, realized they needed a dogma, much like a political platform for a modern political party. There was no TV, no social infrastructure with police, prisons, social workers. There was no media, ie., paper with which to communicate so every bit of information had to be conveyed orally and remembered, somehow. What abilities some people had to "write" and use written language, whether on stone or papyrus, was limited to a select few and was virtually a secret code which only they could understand.

2. Science was based on observable, real events which everyone could see and understand, like weather and night skies, stars and planets and sexual reproduction.

3. Society was hierarchical and brutal and the people who ruled did so using violence and force.

When we look at religions, or when I look at them, I don't take them literally. They are very sophisticated, elaborate mechanisms of mind control devised by barbarians to rule and control people. I believe that if one loses site of this and even tries to think of them as "truth" as we think of it, one has completely misunderstood what they are.

I posted this from the Smithsonian on another thread: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/go...65/?no-ist If you read the article about this ancient site you can see how that part of the world was a kind of garden of Eden. People lived naturally, if brutally, alongside nature in a forrested, green and abundant world. Isn't that what stories of the garden of Eden are about? Some sort of oral tradition of a lost paradise? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that ultimately there had to be an Eve and modern genetics is showing that to be the case: http://www.mhrc.net/mitochondrialEve.htm

Stars are important because they helped our ancestors find their way around and tell time. The best way to remember these is to make up stories about them and give them names, like the Big Dipper.

So, what have you got with Christianity? One of these very sophisticated stories written to impose a thought pattern on people. It takes a religious philosophy which was circulating at the time...some sort of Jewish sect, which has some promotors, like Rabbi Eleazar B. Azarias. People were converted to it. Nothing unusual about that, and it had rites, like circumcision or baptism.

Then you need a central figure so someone combines features of various people and tells a story which includes all sorts of homilies and tales intended to scare people and induce them into following the teachings. Then a structure is set up to preach this religion, maybe an existing and similar pagan religion, adopting and modifying their rituals.

That is all Christianity is. It incorporates pagan and Jewish ideas so as to be acceptable to the widest number of our/my pagan ancestors and has lots of advice on how to lead a good life, obeying authority, being kind, backed up by sanctions, like going to hell if you disobey and heaven if you are good.

Why argue with anyone about the religion on its own terms? Anyone who accepts it is just doing so because they are exactly the sort of people who the clever clerics who figured out how to write up these religions designed the religions to appeal to. Dummies, most of whom wouldn't be able to figure out their own "moral rules" for living a decent life.

Part of the problem is that we give modern man too much credit for being intelligent and our ancestors too little for being deviously cunning when they needed to be.
[+] 3 users Like Deltabravo's post
26-04-2014, 09:15 AM
oh I miss Hitch, but I didn't "believe" in him, I respected him. Too bad the faithful can not comprehend the difference. BowingDrooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
26-04-2014, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2014 04:36 PM by Mathilda.)
It occurred to me afterwards that people may have read my original post and thought to themselves ... "Hold on, I didn't know Richard Dawkins performed miracles".

I know, I know, but bear with me.

Of course every mythical religious leader needs to perform miracles otherwise how they can gain followers?

One problem is that Richard Dawkins has now stopped doing them. It was upsetting the physicists at Oxford University who complained that he was violating the laws of thermodynamics. Also, he got fed up of requests to perform at children's parties.

I would like to point out though in case there are any sceptics out there wondering about the existence of documentary evidence for Richard Dawkins doing miracles, remember, he's still alive. You need to wait almost a century before you get such written evidence. After all, it's only now that people are attributing miracles to Charles Darwin.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
26-04-2014, 04:37 PM
(26-04-2014 09:15 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  oh I miss Hitch, but I didn't "believe" in him, I respected him. Too bad the faithful can not comprehend the difference. BowingDrooling

Hitch will be the holy ghost of the atheists.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
26-04-2014, 04:38 PM
(25-04-2014 06:31 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(25-04-2014 06:29 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Um, no. They are just people and I am not exalting anyone to the point of worshiping them. I just got free of the christian god and I am not going to replace it with something else.

The internet REALLY needs a sarcasm font... Dodgy

It really doesn't. Taking this thread seriously is just....well you know Tongue

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
26-04-2014, 04:41 PM
(25-04-2014 06:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-04-2014 06:29 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Um, no. They are just people and I am not exalting anyone to the point of worshiping them. I just got free of the christian god and I am not going to replace it with something else.

You reject Dawkins as your savour because you are angry at the scientific method. All you need do is let him enter you and fill you with his love juice.

Fixt Drinking Beverage

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
26-04-2014, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2014 04:51 PM by Mathilda.)
(26-04-2014 04:41 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(25-04-2014 06:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You reject Dawkins as your savour because you are angry at the scientific method. All you need do is let him enter you and fill you with his love juice.

Fixt Drinking Beverage

Off with you to the Sexy Banter thread!

EDIT: Anyway, yes, love juice. It's transubstantiation. Juice is far healthier than wine.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
26-04-2014, 04:54 PM
What's a savour? It is something that makes food more savory? Because if so mine is Lawry's seasoning salt.
26-04-2014, 08:28 PM
(26-04-2014 04:54 PM)natachan Wrote:  What's a savour? It is something that makes food more savory? Because if so mine is Lawry's seasoning salt.

Savour Dawkin's love juice, chan. Wink
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post