We stand divided

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 07:17 AM
We stand divided
Is it me, or is this election period more heated than any previously?

It certainly seems that way to me. Any thread that touches on politics morphs onto a Trump/Clinton thread in no time. And people are all hopped up about it.

Is it because of the dem/repub standoff over the last few years? Where nothing happened because everything was sabotaged?

Is it because of the personalities of the candidates?

Is this healthy? Or is it a sign that something is wrong?

I am kind of baffled. I have friends who have turned against each other over this. Never happened before during any election phase I witnessed, and there have been quite a few.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2016, 07:23 AM
RE: We stand divided
It's you. They have all been like this going back to at least Clinton/Bush in 92. The internet and the 24 hour news cycle have just exacerbated the problem but it's been bad for a long time.

I think the difference this time is the candidates both really, really, really suck. We've had bad choices before but nothing like this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
28-07-2016, 07:31 AM
(28-07-2016 07:23 AM)BnW Wrote:  It's you. They have all been like this going back to at least Clinton/Bush in 92. The internet and the 24 hour news cycle have just exacerbated the problem but it's been bad for a long time.

I think the difference this time is the candidates both really, really, really suck. We've had bad choices before but nothing like this.

Maybe so. The last time I remember people getting so wound up is during Nixon's impeachment.

Maybe I just have time to pay more attention now that I am retired.

It is quite sad though to watch previously good friends feuding because of an election - and I doubt they will get back together when it's over.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-07-2016, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 07:52 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
Read this.

http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/p...an-public/

We have split into two separate countries. Our politicians no longer cross the aisle. We no longer want them to. It's now career suicide to vote with the other party for anything other than budget related bills.

We are completely polarized and I don't see it going back. We're separated into two groups that want completely different things. I can't see how this doesn't lead to a civil war or breaking into two countries.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
28-07-2016, 07:55 AM
(28-07-2016 07:48 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Read this.

http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/p...an-public/

We have split into two separate countries. Our politicians no longer cross the aisle. We no longer want them to. It's now career suicide to vote with the other party for anything other than budget related bills.

We are completely polarized and I don't see it going back. We're separated into two groups that want completely different things. I don't see how this doesn't lead to a civil war or breaking into two countries.

Well, actually, sitting on the side lines, I see one thing everyone has in common - everyone knows we need change. Bernie and Trump are both very unconventional, and they both drew much unexpected support.

The divide comes when we think about what that change should look like...

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2016, 07:56 AM
I remember 1968. The democrat convention then. We 'hippies'disrupted that one. I was arrested and so was Bernie Sanders. I spoke a few weeks ago with a girl I knew then and she assures me that we did meet Bernie. Plastic bags of shit flying out of hotel rooms at riot police in the streets. I don't think it has been that bad again. I have spent other times in Chicago, but that was the most intense.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
28-07-2016, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 08:32 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
I retired last month and my family and I moved to Arizona. There's a major push here to oust John McCain and any other politician that has voted with Democrats.

There are very few things that the parties have in common. They use the same buzz words like BETTER ECONOMY and SAFER COMMUNITIES but the path to achieving the goal is different. Gun control, socialized health care, military spending, minimum wage. The platforms of the two parties are polar opposites.

We cannot be united when we cannot even stomach the views of the other side.

What will happen is once one side has a full voting majority (we're almost there, changing demographics will give Democrats the presidency forever), the other side will try to split away into another country. It has to happen eventually.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
28-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Actually, there is very little the two parties really disagree on. They focus heavily on those margins, but it's not an accident things like abortion and who uses what bathroom are such big issues.

Both parties heavily favor military spending, the use of force, status quo for the financial services industry, and a sustained amount of unemployment. Our real arguments are on the social issues.

That's the reason trump and Sanders were so popular. People don't believe either party represents them. And, they are right.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
28-07-2016, 12:00 PM
(28-07-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Is it me, or is this election period more heated than any previously?

It certainly seems that way to me. Any thread that touches on politics morphs onto a Trump/Clinton thread in no time. And people are all hopped up about it.

Is it because of the dem/repub standoff over the last few years? Where nothing happened because everything was sabotaged?

Is it because of the personalities of the candidates?

Is this healthy? Or is it a sign that something is wrong?

I am kind of baffled. I have friends who have turned against each other over this. Never happened before during any election phase I witnessed, and there have been quite a few.

We hear the same concern nearly every election, and we often times look at our history through rose colored glasses and imagine that things were different back then. They weren't, really. At least, the level of bitter partisan bickering is no different.

What is perhaps different is the level of ideological purity and party line adherence we demand of our politicians. This has lead to factionalizing of both major parties to a degree that is unusual. Strict adherence to party orthodoxy has lead to insurgent candidates in both major parties, with the GOP selecting their insurgent candidate and disappointing long time loyal party members, while the DEMs are still struggling with disappointed Bernie fans. There have been internal party struggles like this before in one party or the other, and they always preceed a major party realignment. We may be seeing both major parties reshaping before our eyes. We are living in very interesting political times.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
28-07-2016, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 12:38 PM by Zeff.)
It shouldn't be about ideology. That would be wrong anyway.
I'm in the UK and what strikes me is that, whatever one's politics, there is a reasonable, empathetic and professional politician on the one hand and a dimwitted, egoistic demagogue on the other. What this situation shows me is that many USAmericans can't tell one from another.

http://news.atheists.org/2016/07/21/athe...-disaster/

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/page/tax-returns/

https://next.ft.com/content/a262750c-192...1fcdbe169f
[+] 3 users Like Zeff's post