We stand divided

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: We stand divided
Hell yes it should be about Trump vs Clinton. Holy crap, that would be like watching the Superbowl and still insisting the NFL is about baseball, what the hell do you expect?

Yes, it should be between choosing a very dangerous demagogue and choosing someone who may be flawed but would not sink the nation or sink us into WW3.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-07-2016, 12:45 PM
(28-07-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Is it me, or is this election period more heated than any previously?

It certainly seems that way to me. Any thread that touches on politics morphs onto a Trump/Clinton thread in no time. And people are all hopped up about it.

Is it because of the dem/repub standoff over the last few years? Where nothing happened because everything was sabotaged?

Is it because of the personalities of the candidates?

Is this healthy? Or is it a sign that something is wrong?

I am kind of baffled. I have friends who have turned against each other over this. Never happened before during any election phase I witnessed, and there have been quite a few.

No, only one side is "unhealthy". One may argue that far too much of politics is about "personality" good or bad, for either party, but this isn't an ordinary election. One "personality" being Trump is not simply "I'd love to have a beer with them", that is shallow enough. Trump's followers are valuing the "personality" of a bully demagogue, the same cult of personality that leads to despots.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
28-07-2016, 12:54 PM
(28-07-2016 07:48 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Read this.

http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/p...an-public/

We have split into two separate countries. Our politicians no longer cross the aisle. We no longer want them to. It's now career suicide to vote with the other party for anything other than budget related bills.

We are completely polarized and I don't see it going back. We're separated into two groups that want completely different things. I can't see how this doesn't lead to a civil war or breaking into two countries.

No, we have one party who have for 36 year been masters at divisions and getting voters to vote against their own self interests. My mom has been a life long voting Republican, especially in presidential elections. Bernie was the first time she voted against the republicans for president. Outside that, I can ask her any question on social and economic issues and WE AGREE.

Me, "Mom, do you think workers don't get paid enough?'

Mom, "No, they do not."

Me, "Do we have too much gun violence"

Mom, "Yes".

Me, "Should women have control over their bodies?"

Mom, "Yes"

Me, "Should LGBTQ have equal rights?"

Mom, "Yes".

Me, "I agree mom, so please tell me why you keep voting republican".

Mom, " I don't want to talk about it".

Americans are NOT as divided as some would think, the division is being caused by ONE party and one class. The 1% and the GOP.

28-07-2016, 12:57 PM
What is really going on is that we have a small minority of rich and small minority of right wing religious holding the entire nation hostage, the 50/50 split is moreso because most on the right follow the extreme base on the far right out of fear.

28-07-2016, 01:07 PM
(28-07-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Is this healthy? Or is it a sign that something is wrong?
From the outside I wondered how on Earth a free peoples could vote for George Bush. And then I was dumb founded how they could do it again.

Trump is a whole new level. He is nothing more than a stupid shock Jock. Good for a radio chat show because his stupid outlandish positions get people riled up. But holy cow, if you guys can vote Bush it terrifies me to think that you guys can also vote Trump. If only USA believed in the non proliferation of WMDs. If only USA weren't so economically powerful. I wish I couldn't give a shit who your president were.

Hilary, whatever her flaws, she's no stupid shock jock like Trump.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Stevil's post
28-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Jesus h Christ...

Can you get your head any further up her ass Brian???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-07-2016, 01:14 PM
(28-07-2016 01:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Jesus h Christ...

Can you get your head any further up her ass Brian???

I love that he doesn't see the irony of creating such posts in this of all threads.
28-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Quote:Is it me, or is this election period more heated than any previously?

How old are you, Dom? Because 1968 was a bitch of a year, too.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
28-07-2016, 01:49 PM
(28-07-2016 01:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Is it me, or is this election period more heated than any previously?

How old are you, Dom? Because 1968 was a bitch of a year, too.

Shit this aint got nothing on 1824. Anyone that thinks this is the "worst" election or the most divisive has not studied history. John Quincy Adams v Andrew Jackson is by far the dirtiest most mud slinging election followed by James G. Blaine vs Grover Cleveland in 1884 in which Blaine's selling congressional favors was put up against Cleveland having father a child out of wedlock.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-07-2016, 01:51 PM
(28-07-2016 07:23 AM)BnW Wrote:  It's you. They have all been like this going back to at least Clinton/Bush in 92. The internet and the 24 hour news cycle have just exacerbated the problem but it's been bad for a long time.

I think the difference this time is the candidates both really, really, really suck. We've had bad choices before but nothing like this.

We've had obstreperous elections before, 1860 comes to mind. Nothing much came of all that foo-foo-raw, now did it?