We stand divided

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 01:52 PM
RE: We stand divided
(28-07-2016 01:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 01:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  How old are you, Dom? Because 1968 was a bitch of a year, too.

Shit this aint got nothing on 1824. Anyone that thinks this is the "worst" election or the most divisive has not studied history. John Quincy Adams v Andrew Jackson is by far the dirtiest most mud slinging election followed by James G. Blaine vs Grover Cleveland in 1884 in which Blaine's selling congressional favors was put up against Cleveland having father a child out of wedlock.

Didn't see this when I posted my last post or I'd have quoted you. Good points!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2016, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 02:23 PM by Dom.)
(28-07-2016 01:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Is it me, or is this election period more heated than any previously?

How old are you, Dom? Because 1968 was a bitch of a year, too.

In 1968 I was a hippie travelling through Europe. I didn't read or watch TV that year. Tongue

I came to the US in 71. Just in time for anti Vietnam protests, gay protests, smoke-ins, Nixon's impeachment, the black Panthers and the launching of women in business. Landed right smack in the middle of all that in the San Francisco bay area.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2016, 06:54 PM
(28-07-2016 01:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 01:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  How old are you, Dom? Because 1968 was a bitch of a year, too.

Shit this aint got nothing on 1824. Anyone that thinks this is the "worst" election or the most divisive has not studied history. John Quincy Adams v Andrew Jackson is by far the dirtiest most mud slinging election followed by James G. Blaine vs Grover Cleveland in 1884 in which Blaine's selling congressional favors was put up against Cleveland having father a child out of wedlock.

When people went on about, oh this election year has hit new American lows because Trump and Cruz's wives where prodded at, it reflects back to that 1824-28 time period when Andrew Jacksons wife was attacked in actual worse regards.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-07-2016, 07:57 PM
(28-07-2016 06:54 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 01:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Shit this aint got nothing on 1824. Anyone that thinks this is the "worst" election or the most divisive has not studied history. John Quincy Adams v Andrew Jackson is by far the dirtiest most mud slinging election followed by James G. Blaine vs Grover Cleveland in 1884 in which Blaine's selling congressional favors was put up against Cleveland having father a child out of wedlock.

When people went on about, oh this election year has hit new American lows because Trump and Cruz's wives where prodded at, it reflects back to that 1824-28 time period when Andrew Jacksons wife was attacked in actual worse regards.

No less than 17 duels resulted from that election. History is so much fun.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
31-07-2016, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2016 09:21 PM by Dark Light.)
This election is much worse than normal - it isn't just you. This is a culmination of several intersecting events happening all at once.

The two candidates are very polarizing - more than usual.
Trump isn't a Republican, except in name, and old Republicans hate him for it, and young Republicans do too. The middle-aged white male who feels pressure from SJWs and political-correctness (which is detrimental IMO), combined with a terrible economy, and a fear of immigrants are Trumps key demographic (I think).There are also voters who want him because, well, he isn't Hillary. At least half of Republicans hate him. Virtually all Democrats do. Independents as well.
Hillary is the poster child for corrupt politicians. She's been caught lying, breaking rules (and laws) accepting bribes, and propping up her friends so often, with impunity, that young Democrats will not tolerate it. She is part of the problem. No one trusts here, everyone knows what she is, and the younger Democrats are unwilling to vote for her for the sole purpose of defeating Trump. Not to mention the DNC got caught proping her up against the young people's choice by Hillary's pals. Hillary's supporters are primarily women who want to see a woman get electing for the sake of being a woman, and people afraid of a Trump presidency (I think).

Two AWFUL, piece of shit candidates that no reasonable person would vote for given more alternatives. If either party had a decent candidate they would win in a landslide victory. The numbers don't lie, look at the third party candidates - they are polling in HUGE numbers, especially considering none of them have Ross Perot money. I would vote for a third party candidate in most scenarios anyway (See Hillary Clinton for the why). I know I will probably be disappointed, but there is reason to believe a third party could actually have a shot at winning. Gary Johnson (my candidate) is between 2 and 4 percentage points away from being included in the debates. That's not an insurmountable number this year, though it normally would be.

I still have not figured out how the Republicans picked the candidate I was calling the "joke" candidate from day one. It was easy to figure out how Hillary clinched the Dem nomination. Hint* It rhymes with Durruption.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
31-07-2016, 09:17 PM
(28-07-2016 12:41 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Hell yes it should be about Trump vs Clinton. Holy crap, that would be like watching the Superbowl and still insisting the NFL is about baseball, what the hell do you expect?

Yes, it should be between choosing a very dangerous demagogue and choosing someone who may be flawed but would not sink the nation or sink us into WW3.

I don't know which candidate is supposed to be which. That's how bad the options are. Thanks for illustrating this so brilliantly, Brian! Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
01-08-2016, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 05:51 PM by Full Circle.)
(28-07-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  I am kind of baffled. I have friends who have turned against each other over this. Never happened before during any election phase I witnessed, and there have been quite a few.

I’ve never experienced this level of animosity either.

Close friends of ours post all kinds of pro-Trump propaganda on their FB page and I have a visceral reaction to it.

So far we have avoided talking about it because we both know that if we were to discuss it we might not come out of it as friends. You would think political differences would not or should not affect true friendship but here I am questioning that premise.

I know I am practicing cognitive dissonance so I can remain civil and so are they but the tension is palpable. Undecided

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-08-2016, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 07:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-08-2016 05:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’ve never experienced this level of animosity either.

Close friends of our post all kinds of pro-Trump propaganda on their FB page and I have a visceral reaction to it.

My visceral reaction is a goddam bigass belly laugh.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-08-2016, 05:39 PM
(01-08-2016 05:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 05:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’ve never experienced this level of animosity either.

Close friends of our post all kinds of pro-Trump propaganda on their FB page and I have a visceral reaction to it.

My visceral reacition is a goddam bigass belly laugh.

Yes, but you’re you own Diety. Buddhas and The Lord Bob our Savior can afford to laugh in the face of armaggedon.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce