"We've Been Trumped!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2015, 03:57 PM
RE: "We've Been Trumped!"
(23-12-2015 12:18 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Regardless of the nonsense Trump continues to spew, a shitload of Muslims travel to and from the U.S. every day without issue. I don't know why this particular family was prevented form traveling, but this article was based solely on the author's opinion which was derived from the family's opinion, with absolutely no real data as to why they were prevented from boarding the plane. I'd be willing to bet there is another reason that is not directly related to them simply being Muslim.

You don't figure if one of them was with Al quieda they would have said so?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2015, 04:10 PM
(23-12-2015 03:57 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 12:18 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Regardless of the nonsense Trump continues to spew, a shitload of Muslims travel to and from the U.S. every day without issue. I don't know why this particular family was prevented form traveling, but this article was based solely on the author's opinion which was derived from the family's opinion, with absolutely no real data as to why they were prevented from boarding the plane. I'd be willing to bet there is another reason that is not directly related to them simply being Muslim.

You don't figure if one of them was with Al quieda they would have said so?

Not if they intended to build a case from it.

Which I don't know, of course. Because we literally have nothing except opinion in the article. This is a classic example of the race/religion card being pulled without anything to back it up.

'Murican Canadian
23-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Mahmood accepted an invitation from the American Consul to discuss the matter. All he would say is "It was an interesting meeting to say the least."

#sigh
23-12-2015, 04:12 PM
(23-12-2015 02:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 02:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They can always fly to Mecca or Medina and visit some other fictional cartoonish characters. Unsure

Fuck you Bucky! Mickey Mouse is real. I met him and got his autograph when I was 6!

Weeping

Goofy and I are on a first name basis. Some of my best friends are cartoon characters!
23-12-2015, 04:19 PM
(23-12-2015 03:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 02:55 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Yes, we all know by now that it was Homeland Security that imposed this ban. What's unclear is why this ban was imposed on a seemingly innocent Muslim family. It is no less theft in my eyes if the reason why they refused to refund the cost of the tickets was based on an arbitrary decision made by a third party. Unless that government agency is able to cite a legitimate reason for their decision, there is no good reason to think that this family did anything to void their right to receive a refund. I'm not talking about it from a legal point of view (big corporations always force their customers to agree to vague terms that free themselves of most legal liabilities), but from a common sense and basic human decency point of view.

They say they were never given an explanation for what happened and knowing the US government, Homeland Security in particular, I'm more than willing to believe them.

But "why" is not the concern of the Norwegian air, and we don't know if the decision was arbitrary or not.
I don't think the Homeland Security is under the obligation to cite their reasons to a airline company, so the only thing Norwegian could do is comply with the request.
Corporations will act as corporations do, decency not high on the list of their priorities. But that goes for every corporation, boycotting Norwegian when every other company would most likely act the same is pointless.

The point here is that any family , muslim or not, would be treated the same by Norwegian air, thus it is not discrimination of muslims, but if it was a Bulgarian family it would never make the news, nor it would be considered scandalous if they didn't get the refund, nobody would give a shit.

The fact that a non muslim family is unlikely to be banned in such a manner is the issue with the Homeland Security not with the airliner.
Is it reasonable to expect from Norwegian to go " Oh, since we believe that Homeland security is full of shit and they are most likely banning you for no reason, we will go against our policy and our profit and refund your tickets"

I think not.

Regardless, the airline, employees, homeland security, will all be named in the lawsuit to force someone to pay for the whole vacation. I'm assuming they had hotel reservations and tickets to Disneyland...etc...

Their visa was approved, they weren't on a no fly list...their luggage was on the plane. They weren't simply bumped to a later flight. They were told they simply couldn't fly period.

Might have been just cheaper to give them a refund.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-12-2015, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2015 08:49 PM by Fireball.)
(23-12-2015 04:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 03:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  But "why" is not the concern of the Norwegian air, and we don't know if the decision was arbitrary or not.
I don't think the Homeland Security is under the obligation to cite their reasons to a airline company, so the only thing Norwegian could do is comply with the request.
Corporations will act as corporations do, decency not high on the list of their priorities. But that goes for every corporation, boycotting Norwegian when every other company would most likely act the same is pointless.

The point here is that any family , muslim or not, would be treated the same by Norwegian air, thus it is not discrimination of muslims, but if it was a Bulgarian family it would never make the news, nor it would be considered scandalous if they didn't get the refund, nobody would give a shit.

The fact that a non muslim family is unlikely to be banned in such a manner is the issue with the Homeland Security not with the airliner.
Is it reasonable to expect from Norwegian to go " Oh, since we believe that Homeland security is full of shit and they are most likely banning you for no reason, we will go against our policy and our profit and refund your tickets"

I think not.

Regardless, the airline, employees, homeland security, will all be named in the lawsuit to force someone to pay for the whole vacation. I'm assuming they had hotel reservations and tickets to Disneyland...etc...

Their visa was approved, they weren't on a no fly list...their luggage was on the plane. They weren't simply bumped to a later flight. They were told they simply couldn't fly period.

Might have been just cheaper to give them a refund.[[b]

Damned straight they ought to get a refund. Norwegian would look pretty good for that.
23-12-2015, 05:01 PM
(23-12-2015 04:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 03:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  But "why" is not the concern of the Norwegian air, and we don't know if the decision was arbitrary or not.

I think not.

They can sue the US or Homeland Security, they are the ones responsible for the mess.

Still, they have absolutely nothing on the airline.

It would be far worst for the passengers if they flew them to the US only for them to be refused the entry to the country at the airport.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
23-12-2015, 05:05 PM
(23-12-2015 12:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  How is it that they are not given a refund when they did not receive the service they paid for? Being a Muslim does not constitute a violation of the terms both parties agreed to when this family purchased their plane tickets.

This is not only discrimination, it's also borderline theft if you ask me. No

I always buy non refundable tickets to save money. They may have made that decision also.
23-12-2015, 05:10 PM
(23-12-2015 05:01 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 04:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Regardless, the airline, employees, homeland security, will all be named in the lawsuit to force someone to pay for the whole vacation. I'm assuming they had hotel reservations and tickets to Disneyland...etc...

They can sue the US or Homeland Security, they are the ones responsible for the mess.

Still, they have absolutely nothing on the airline.

It would be far worst for the passengers if they flew them to the US only for them to be refused the entry to the country at the airport.

I'm willing to bet, the airline will be named, along with gate employees. It's the way it is. You not thinking it's fair has nothing to do with it.

Like I said, cheaper for the airline to just pay.

Especially if it turns out homeland security wasn't the issue at all, but a paranoid pilot (not saying that is what happened, but it has happened in the past). That's why they'll probably take everyone to court.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-12-2015, 05:40 PM
This story has been making hay all day. What concerns me is the abundance of conclusions and the dearth of facts.

I'm with Yak - I reserve judgment until I know more about this story. The TSA may have fucked this up and they may not have. But, they didn't just say "hey, let's ruin some muslim family's Disney vacation and screw them out of a bunch of money!". I don't know what did happen, but I know what did not happen and that did not happen. So, there is more to the story.

As for the money, I need more facts on that too but my gut instinct is they should get the cash back.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost