We've come a long way. THE FIRST ATHEIST ASSOCIATION IN TURKEY IS FOUNDED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 07:38 AM
We've come a long way. THE FIRST ATHEIST ASSOCIATION IN TURKEY IS FOUNDED
[Image: ateizm_dernegi.jpg]

The first Atheist Association in Turkey is founded a few weeks ago.

This is not only the first atheist organisation in Turkey, but also the first one in the large region of Middle East and Caucasus. And the first one in a country with a predominantly muslim population.

Keep in mind, this is a %98 Muslim country.
I can't help but feel proud of these guys.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like izel's post
01-11-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: We've come a long way. THE FIRST ATHEIST ASSOCIATION IN TURKEY IS FOUNDED
I hope it's not too dangerous......courageous people!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Hug

Thumbsup

All right! Way to go folks! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
01-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Woot woot! That does seem pretty dangerous, but it's a step in the right direction.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
01-11-2015, 09:47 AM
(01-11-2015 07:38 AM)izel Wrote:  Keep in mind, this is a %98 Muslim country.

My question is how in the hell does Turkey maintain a secular government in a 98% Muslim country?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2015, 09:57 AM
(01-11-2015 09:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

My question is how in the hell does Turkey maintain a secular government in a 98% Muslim country?

... by following the Jewish example ... separating g-d's law from man's law.

Faith is relegated to customs and traditions... like most Murikan christians, I guess.

But fuckety-duck! If Turkey can do this, there's hope for Malaysia.

Full credit to the organisers ... I'm seriously impressed.

Thumbsup

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
01-11-2015, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 10:22 AM by izel.)

That's because people are very secular. Last year the government tried to ban the advertising for alcohol and drinking in the public areas and the entire country went crazy. Turks are nothing like Arabs, majority of them anyway. We do have some fanatics but not as many. I'm a Muslim is just a word nowadays but they don't follow religion, if you look at people here you won't recognize who's Muslim and who's not. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk changed this country tremendously. The country went from Sharia law to democracy almost over night. Up until few years back it was forbidden to wear hijab in schools or any government buildings. Turks hate to be considered same as Arab's after the Ottoman empire collapsed even though turks were the holders of khalifa for 500 + years. The population here is divided lately because of the current government is ruled by religious party. There are those who are towards Atatürks legacy and those who wishes the Ottoman empire and their laws are restored. I don't think and hope it will not come down to that but it feels like with Tayyip Erdogans regime the country is slowly pulling away from its European wanna be image towards putting our noses to middle eastern problems and getting involved in their wars.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 5 users Like izel's post
01-11-2015, 10:39 AM
(01-11-2015 10:16 AM)izel Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 09:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My question is how in the hell does Turkey maintain a secular government in a 98% Muslim country?

That's because people are very secular. Last year the government tried to ban the advertising for alcohol and drinking in the public areas and the entire country went crazy. Turks are nothing like Arabs, majority of them anyway. We do have some fanatics but not as many. I'm a Muslim is just a word nowadays but they don't follow religion, if you look at people here you won't recognize who's Muslim and who's not. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk changed this country tremendously. The country went from Sharia law to democracy almost over night. Up until few years back it was forbidden to wear hijab in schools or any government buildings. Turks hate to be considered same as Arab's after the Ottoman empire collapsed even though turks were the holders of khalifa for 500 + years. The population here is divided lately because of the current government is ruled by religious party. There are those who are towards Atatürks legacy and those who wishes the Ottoman empire and their laws are restored. I don't think and hope it will not come down to that but it feels like with Tayyip Erdogans regime the country is slowly pulling away from its European wanna be image towards putting our noses to middle eastern problems and getting involved in their wars.

I visited Turkey twice, but I can't remember what part Unsure I remember it as hot and dry, no A/c in most places and ice cubes being a rare occurrence (spoilt rotten american I am lol). But I also remember great food, friendly and personal citizens, and proprietors who genuinely took pride in their products. I had several amazing meals. One of the local small restaurants kind of took my group of friends in, we went there every day for a meal, and we were treated with high regard. I hope this new atheist meeting place remains safe for all involved. They have my highest respect for their bravery. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM

I've often wondered that. They even at one point had a ban on headscarfs in school didn't they. You would never manage that in the UK.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
01-11-2015, 11:20 AM
(01-11-2015 10:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 09:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My question is how in the hell does Turkey maintain a secular government in a 98% Muslim country?

I've often wondered that. They even at one point had a ban on headscarfs in school didn't they. You would never manage that in the UK.

Here is a video of women being forced out by security for wearing head scarf in government building. I never liked that law, to me if you are a genuine person and don't do no harm I don't care what God's you worship. It becomes a problem when you try to shove it up to my face and judge me for my way of life.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post