We've heard it all before.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 01:49 AM
We've heard it all before.
Theists. I've finally lost all patience. That's my problem.

However, we here have heard all your arguments. None are proven to be true.

It is just so moronic that people believe that the people of the ancient world understood or knew the ways of the world more than the educated world today.

I've read them.

They didn't. Okay?

True story.

It was not an alter that made Rome great.

Give it a rest or give it more thought.

And if you believe you've come up with a great argument, we've heard it all before.

Animals die. You're an animal. Get over it.

Spare me.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Banjo's post
09-01-2017, 01:51 AM
RE: We've heard it all before.
(09-01-2017 01:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Theists. I've finally lost all patience. That's my problem.

It is just so moronic that people believe that the people of the ancient world understood or knew the ways of the world more than the educated world today.

I've read them.

They didn't. Okay?

True story.

And if you believe you've come up with a great argument, we've heard it all before.

Spare me.

This should just be the default response.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 5 users Like JDog554's post
09-01-2017, 08:57 AM
I have to confess that after a few years of debating theists, it's been months since I've heard a new argument from a believer and forever since I've heard a cogent and valid one. That is one of the reasons that I have made the transition from the genteel world of the C-D atheism / religion & spirituality / philosophy forums to a place where I can just call a spade a spade. I'll be 60 in a couple of months, and between my experience in this sort of discussion and my involvement in politics this past year, trying to explain to people why all, or even most, poor people are not lazy, indolent takers, or why you don't elect a fact-indifferent, shameless protofascist bully for president just because you want to "shake things up", yeah ... I'm about out of patience and pleasantries, too. The inmates, increasingly, are running the asylum and it's time for the gloves to come off.
[+] 7 users Like mordant's post
09-01-2017, 09:32 AM
(09-01-2017 01:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Theists. I've finally lost all patience. That's my problem.

I've read them.

They didn't. Okay?

True story.

Spare me.

They do use the same arguments over and over again and I think it is because they believe that some spirit is going to come into us and make the arguments persuasive. So they are relying on the coercion of a supernatural mind on ours. And when all that doesn't work it is our fault and then they just resort to threats of physical torture. Great plan.

And I think you hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to a fear of death that motivates them. As long as there are those that don't believe, it makes them doubt their own beliefs and they desperately need for them to be true.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-01-2017, 12:12 PM
I've gotten to the point where I'm so weary of trying to explain reality to believers that all I need is a macro that says "Your beliefs are stupid and I'm not going to take them seriously. Deal with it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
09-01-2017, 12:24 PM
I've hit the wall too, my patience is gone. Some responses to add when the proselytizing or evangelizing starts:

Blow me.

Aren't you too old for that?

Do you think Jesus could take Superman? How about Wolverine?

Glad you brought up that Bible verse, nothing beats the advice than that of iron-age goat herders.

I'd like to hear some of your "stop them in their tracks" responses.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-01-2017, 12:35 PM
(09-01-2017 12:12 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I've gotten to the point where I'm so weary of trying to explain reality to believers that all I need is a macro that says "Your beliefs are stupid and I'm not going to take them seriously. Deal with it."

I can make that a jpg if you want. Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
09-01-2017, 12:56 PM
(09-01-2017 12:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
I'd like to hear some of your "stop them in their tracks" responses.

I've been resorting to...

[Image: BurstOutLaughing.gif]

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
09-01-2017, 12:59 PM
(09-01-2017 12:12 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I've gotten to the point where I'm so weary of trying to explain reality to believers that all I need is a macro that says "Your beliefs are stupid and I'm not going to take them seriously. Deal with it."

Put it in your sig. Then post
"see signature"

done!
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
09-01-2017, 01:19 PM
I get the intent, but I try to have more patience with theists, since I used to be one and remember why I was one.

When a theist comes at me with a "new" argument, it is always - in every single case, there have been no exceptions - a re-hashing of the same tired old arguments that we have all heard countless times. All of them long since refuted, none of which hold up logically.

But that's not the point.

Most theists on the surface seem like they want to change your mind, but in my experience that's not really what they're looking for.

What they want is to be heard. Most (not all, of course, but most in my experience) want to know that you have heard and understood the emotion behind their arguments, even when their logic is faulty.

Calling their beliefs "stupid" (which they are) isn't likely to lead to an improved discussion.

All that said, I don't really debate with theists anymore. My atheism isn't a starting point; it's a conclusion.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post