We've heard it all before.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 01:49 PM
RE: We've heard it all before.
So, you believe in Jesus? Why have you not sold all you have and given it away to the poor as Jesus repeatedly commands?

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
09-01-2017, 02:11 PM
(09-01-2017 01:19 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I get the intent, but I try to have more patience with theists, since I used to be one and remember why I was one.

When a theist comes at me with a "new" argument, it is always - in every single case, there have been no exceptions - a re-hashing of the same tired old arguments that we have all heard countless times. All of them long since refuted, none of which hold up logically.

But that's not the point.

Most theists on the surface seem like they want to change your mind, but in my experience that's not really what they're looking for.

What they want is to be heard. Most (not all, of course, but most in my experience) want to know that you have heard and understood the emotion behind their arguments, even when their logic is faulty.

Calling their beliefs "stupid" (which they are) isn't likely to lead to an improved discussion.

All that said, I don't really debate with theists anymore. My atheism isn't a starting point; it's a conclusion.

Not calling their beliefs stupid will mean that from the start discussion isn't honest. Though I would go with barbaric, primitive or childish.

I don't really talk with theists IRL, it's waste of time. I tried long time ago and all I get was I believe cause reasons/feels. If in this day and age someone don't get why his belief is considered absurd then I'm not gonna waste my time on talking with such person.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-01-2017, 02:25 PM
(09-01-2017 12:12 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I've gotten to the point where I'm so weary of trying to explain reality to believers that all I need is a macro that says "Your beliefs are stupid and I'm not going to take them seriously. Deal with it."

(09-01-2017 12:35 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I can make that a jpg if you want. Cool

(09-01-2017 12:59 PM)skyking Wrote:  Put it in your sig. Then post
"see signature"

done!

Both excellent ideas, but I'm going to give it a day or so to see if something even more acerbic springs to mind.

And possibly play around with the GIMP and come up with an animated GIF. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2017, 03:20 PM
I kinda like arguing with theists. It's fun!

I also learn a lot about science and evolution because I have to defend it so I have to know what I'm talking about. I'm no expert though, that's for sure! I read RocketSurgeon's posts carefully and have a few books on evolution. Yeah, I've learned a lot from arguing with religious fucknuts! Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-01-2017, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 10:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There really aren't any "arguments" to be had.
Faith is a "gift of the Spirit", (according to Paul).
Ya either get some, or ya don't.
No "argument" is sufficient.

Even if ya did, the end-result is the same.
Mother Teresa said "that which I see in myself I fear to name". She lost her faith. John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, (Thomas Merton ?) and many mystics end up at the "Dark Night of the Soul", as does the Medieval mystic author of :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_of_Unknowing
The place they end up is the same as the Eastern Tao mystic, Agnosticism, or the (European) Christian "contemplative".
It all makes no never mind.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Final version of the signature below. Big Grin

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
09-01-2017, 10:55 PM
(09-01-2017 10:22 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Final version of the signature below. Big Grin

I haven't had a sig for a while but I might think one up now. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post