We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 05:04 PM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(21-04-2016 10:59 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Hello I have been a Rocket Scientist (aerospace engineer) for 30 years.
I have a pod-cast call God-Talk.com that I host with a medical doctor/theologian.
Dr. Andy was in a rock band and an emergency room doctor for many years as an atheist. He is now teaching medicine and is my pastor. We have plenty of atheist friends and listeners from all over the world. [...]

Gee... two and a half [sic] appeals to authority. If these sorts of logical fallacies are indicative of your site's debating standards, then it's a waste of time for any atheist to accept your offer. They'd be simply setting themselves up for a group attack by religious zealots, with absolutely zero chance of winning even a single point of debate.

No thanks. Sad

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
22-04-2016, 05:32 PM
I nominate GWG.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 14 users Like Anjele's post
22-04-2016, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 06:01 PM by cactus.)
I just listened to the podcast on angry atheists.

Toward the end of the podcast, the discussion focused on why atheist activists care so much about a god they don't believe in.

I hear this sort of thing a lot from religious people, the idea that atheists should just be content with keeping their opinions to themselves, and are wasting their efforts when they even bother discussing the negative socio-political effects of other people's beliefs and practices, or the epistemic laziness that often leads them to cling so fervently to those beliefs in the first place. From my perspective, the dialog coming from the angry Christians is equally as polemical and nonconstructive as of the any of the stuff that angry atheists spew. You should see my Facebook feed Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 11 users Like cactus's post
22-04-2016, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 08:52 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-04-2016 05:52 PM)cactus Wrote:  I just listened to the podcast on angry atheists.

Toward the end of the podcast, the discussion focused on why atheist activists care so much about a god they don't believe in.

I hear this sort of thing a lot from religious people, the idea that atheists should just be content with keeping their opinions to themselves, and are wasting their efforts when they even bother discussing the negative socio-political effects of other people's beliefs and practices, or the epistemic laziness that often leads them to cling so fervently to those beliefs in the first place. From my perspective, the dialog coming from the angry Christians is equally as polemical and nonconstructive as of the any of the stuff that angry atheists spew. You should see my Facebook feed Drinking Beverage

No one cares at all about a god they don't believe in. It's the ridiculous notion of the gods that is of interest. Christians get to evangelize and "share" the gospel.
When atheists do exactly the same thing they are "militant" and "angry".
Pffft. No one cares.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2016, 07:50 PM
(21-04-2016 10:59 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Hello I have been a Rocket Scientist (aerospace engineer) for 30 years.
I have a pod-cast call God-Talk.com that I host with a medical doctor/theologian.
Dr. Andy was in a rock band and an emergency room doctor for many years as an atheist. He is now teaching medicine and is my pastor. We have plenty of atheist friends and listeners from all over the world.

We humbly request that one or more representatives of The Thinking Atheist come on our show to discuss different topics from your perspective.
We will give you 30 uninterrupted minutes on air to make your point, but you must be respectful (no bad language), and send us a simple outline of the point you wish to make (just so we can prepare for the show).
That is all, I truly hope I haven't offended anyone and I truly hope to hear from you.
Kindest Regards,
KYrocketman

How can anyone honestly do scientific or engineering work yet believe in the absurd theology of Christianity? Consider

If one applied one-tenth of the reason used in his work and applied it to his religion, the belief would go POOF.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2016, 08:53 PM
(22-04-2016 07:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Dr. Andy was in a rock band and an emergency room doctor for many years as an atheist. He is now teaching medicine and is my pastor. We have plenty of atheist friends and listeners from all over the world.

We humbly request that one or more representatives of The Thinking Atheist come on our show to discuss different topics from your perspective.
We will give you 30 uninterrupted minutes on air to make your point, but you must be respectful (no bad language), and send us a simple outline of the point you wish to make (just so we can prepare for the show).
That is all, I truly hope I haven't offended anyone and I truly hope to hear from you.
Kindest Regards,
KYrocketman

How can anyone honestly do scientific or engineering work yet believe in the absurd theology of Christianity? Consider

If one applied one-tenth of the reason used in his work and applied it to his religion, the belief would go POOF.

Comparmentalization. It's a powerful thing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2016, 09:42 PM
It would take a lot longer than 30 minutes on a talk show to debunk in a systemic way the countless proposterous notions and beliefs theists embrace.

Hitchens, the peace of the FSM be upon him, had to dilute he arguments to sound bites in the debates he had, and he was a brilliant and eloquent person.

I can see the whole 30 minutes being taken up just trying to explain that the burden of proof falls on the ones making the claims.

Thanks, but no thanks.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
22-04-2016, 11:02 PM
(22-04-2016 07:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  How can anyone honestly do scientific or engineering work yet believe in the absurd theology of Christianity? Consider

[Image: quote-smart-people-believe-weird-things-...-33-91.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-04-2016, 11:46 PM
I don't really care to change anyone's thinking over to my atheism, and don't feel the need to explain myself to strangers.

You're happy believing in your god? Great. Keep him out of our shared public life, laws, and governance, and we'll get along just fine.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
23-04-2016, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2016 01:02 AM by EvolutionKills.)

Okay?

(21-04-2016 10:59 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  I have a pod-cast call God-Talk.com that I host with a medical doctor/theologian.

Podcast is not hyphenated. As for your co-host, I guess we can at least assume you're not creationists? Hooray?

(21-04-2016 10:59 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Dr. Andy was in a rock band and an emergency room doctor for many years as an atheist. He is now teaching medicine and is my pastor. We have plenty of atheist friends and listeners from all over the world.

Okay, you do know that has to sound like the worst kind of patronizing, right? I mean, the 'former-atheist-found-god' is such an abused trope of Evangelical marketing bullshit, how do you think that it would do anything but turn us off? Also, "plenty of atheist friends"? That reads like someone saying they have 'plenty of black friends' as a preemptive excuse right before they say the most racist thing ever.

Regardless, nobody here cares about his supposed atheism; the only thing that matters are his reasons. A nonbeliever who was still partial to supernatural woo-woo jumping the ship to full blown theism doesn't impress us. There are plenty of people out there who are admittedly smarter than myself, luminaries like Francis Collins, who are also doctors and believers. But the reasons for why they are theists always fall incredibly short of their professional work. Collins went out hiking and saw a frozen waterfall who's stream had split into three parts, and that's his evidence for his god. If he presented that as 'evidence' to the same peer-review circles he uses for his professional work, he'd be rightfully laughed out of the room.

I don't care that your co-host is a doctor. I don't care that he claims to be a former atheist. All I could potentially care about are the reasons behind his current belief, and numerous past experiences lead me to predict that his belief isn't built upon testable, verifiable, falsifiable, evidence. And if his beliefs are not evidence based, I don't care, that's the end of the discussion.

Plus, as others have noted, appeals to authority won't get you very far with us.

(21-04-2016 10:59 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  We humbly request that one or more representatives of The Thinking Atheist come on our show to discuss different topics from your perspective.

Fair enough, but that doesn't sound appealing at all. Thirty uninterrupted minutes isn't a conversation, it's a monologue. Hell, I can't stand to listen to myself talk for anywhere close to that long.

Plus, I don't need thirty minutes to ask you to 'define your god in a meaningful (i.e. falsifiable) way'. I did however spend almost a month trying to wring such an answer out of my last debate partner. They utterly failed to do so. I doubt you'd prove up to the task.

(21-04-2016 10:59 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  That is all, I truly hope I haven't offended anyone and I truly hope to hear from you.
Kindest Regards,
KYrocketman

Toodles.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 13 users Like EvolutionKills's post