We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2016, 07:49 PM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(26-04-2016 07:00 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Do you want the Co-Host of God-Talk, who is now a pastor of a church, to speak for you as a one-time atheist?
If you claim to represent atheists other than yourself, that would be untruthful.

(26-04-2016 07:00 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Do you want our listeners do speak for you?
I'm sure your listeners are nice people, but I really don't care what they think of me. Tell them I said "Hi!"

(26-04-2016 07:00 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  That is why I came to this forum to have a civil conversation of inquisitive questions and answers with people who are not friends, I don't know, who have no desire to seek God. I simply want to ask questions because I do not know from your perspective.
As I noted earlier, that is a good goal. However several of us have pointed out that you are sometimes not hitting the "civil" mark. That is our perspective.

(26-04-2016 07:00 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Most of our atheist listeners were at one time theists, so they are not a good source to ask questions from a pure atheist perspective.
Why do you think we are "pure" atheists? Some here have always been atheists, others left various religions. Much like your listeners you mentioned.

Personally, I was raised roman catholic and spent most of my life as a believer. My atheism began about five years ago.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-04-2016, 08:06 PM
(26-04-2016 07:12 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  I know the actions of atheists and that is one of the reasons why I joined your forum. If I go to the middle of the Smokey Mtn National Park to a place that took hours of difficult hiking and see a synagogue, a Buddhist temple, a cross, or golden calf that has been there for 90 years, I would not demand the government remove such.

How about the mosque they wanted to build near Ground Zero in NYC?

How about the satanic monument they can't erect in Oklahoma, next to the ten commandments?

How about the atheist displays that are vandalized amongst the christmas displays?

(26-04-2016 07:12 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  So I don't understand when atheists (who have stated in this forum that the only thing you can conclude about them is that they don't believe in God; live and let live) will sue the government to remove these items.

You really should stop making assumptions. Many posters on this forum are not even located in the US. As far as those of us who are, you should ask. I personally have not participated in any such lawsuits. Although, to be fair, I would do so if one occurred local to me.

(26-04-2016 07:12 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  None of these items will have any effect on me; but apparently, the thought of a cross is too much for some atheists.

You should google stories about atheists who's cars and homes have been vandalized for having atheist displays. Maybe some posters here will tell you their stories.

Too many christians think Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech apply only to themselves and not to those who think differently.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-04-2016, 08:09 PM
I want to hear more about "Pure" Atheists? Do we get to do a goose step?
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
26-04-2016, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2016 08:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-04-2016 07:12 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 05:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You can't possibly be serious. You don't actually know any atheists ?
Yet your programs seem to know a lot about them ?
Facepalm
Doh.

Un-fucking-believable.

I know the actions of atheists and that is one of the reasons why I joined your forum. If I go to the middle of the Smokey Mtn National Park to a place that took hours of difficult hiking and see a synagogue, a Buddhist temple, a cross, or golden calf that has been there for 90 years, I would not demand the government remove such. So I don't understand when atheists (who have stated in this forum that the only thing you can conclude about them is that they don't believe in God; live and let live) will sue the government to remove these items. None of these items will have any effect on me; but apparently, the thought of a cross is too much for some atheists.
BTW: If it is "affect", Sadcryface2

Clearly you DON'T know the "actions of atheists". You may know about what you PRESUME to be the actions of a few. Show us your poll and the data you took from it, Mr. All-Sciency-An-Shit ?
You still have not answered or addressed the QUESTIONS at hand. Then you post another topic. Are you unable to comprehend a subject line ? Your post was all totally irrelevant and incoherent. I sure hope this isn't an example of your reasoning ability. Facepalm Sadcryface2

Many theists also support the separation of church and state (not just atheists). They get that the establishment of ANY religion is a threat to THEIR religion. Your post is out of context, and meaningless. You obviously also know NOTHING about the law, or its implications. You may get away with this random nonsense on the air. Your example is also the fallacy of the false analogy. Perhaps you should consider taking a Logic course ? What you would do, is irrelevant. Or are you a Constitutional lawyer too ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-04-2016, 08:28 PM
(26-04-2016 07:42 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 07:00 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Most of our atheist listeners were at one time theists, so they are not a good source to ask questions from a pure atheist perspective.

What do you mean by "pure atheist"? In order to describe yourself as "a"-theist, It's a good idea to understand the particular theological assumptions and assertions that you're "a"-gainst.
What makes a former theist less qualified to talk about religion than someone who was never a theist? Theists and non-theists alike are equally capable of researching, understanding, and drawing their own conclusions about the specific claims set forth by religions.

To imply that theism somehow grants a person "exclusive knowledge" that is only attainable through the magical power of belief is just special pleading, and has no logical or evidential basis.

We have interviewed several former atheists on the show. They had all grew up in a church environment until their college years and fell out. Years later they rejoined the church and became theologians. I'm trying to find people who have never been in church (I've would label as a pure atheist) to answer questions about morality.
All of the former atheists who have been on the show have stated that EVERYONE is a seeker. I bet most on this forum would disagree.
26-04-2016, 08:37 PM
(26-04-2016 08:28 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  We have interviewed several former atheists on the show. They had all grew up in a church environment until their college years and fell out. Years later they rejoined the church and became theologians.
Could you please post links to these particular episodes?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
26-04-2016, 08:41 PM
(26-04-2016 08:28 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 07:42 PM)cactus Wrote:  What do you mean by "pure atheist"? In order to describe yourself as "a"-theist, It's a good idea to understand the particular theological assumptions and assertions that you're "a"-gainst.
What makes a former theist less qualified to talk about religion than someone who was never a theist? Theists and non-theists alike are equally capable of researching, understanding, and drawing their own conclusions about the specific claims set forth by religions.

To imply that theism somehow grants a person "exclusive knowledge" that is only attainable through the magical power of belief is just special pleading, and has no logical or evidential basis.

We have interviewed several former atheists on the show. They had all grew up in a church environment until their college years and fell out. Years later they rejoined the church and became theologians. I'm trying to find people who have never been in church (I've would label as a pure atheist) to answer questions about morality.
All of the former atheists who have been on the show have stated that EVERYONE is a seeker. I bet most on this forum would disagree.

You're barking up the wrong tree.
Your childish "morality/ethics is from the gods" bullshit has been debunked a million times.
You should have told us you were still in Third Grade. Weeping
So, now you're a Philosopher/Ethicist also ? Right.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-04-2016, 08:43 PM
(26-04-2016 08:28 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  We have interviewed several former atheists on the show. They had all grew up in a church environment until their college years and fell out. Years later they rejoined the church and became theologians. I'm trying to find people who have never been in church (I've would label as a pure atheist) to answer questions about morality.

I have heard many of these stories. None proved true. I call BS.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
26-04-2016, 08:45 PM
(26-04-2016 08:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 08:28 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  We have interviewed several former atheists on the show. They had all grew up in a church environment until their college years and fell out. Years later they rejoined the church and became theologians. I'm trying to find people who have never been in church (I've would label as a pure atheist) to answer questions about morality.

I have heard many of these stories. None proved true. I call BS.

Me too. I want names and dates.
"They all" ... really ? Name 10.

26-04-2016, 08:45 PM
(26-04-2016 08:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 07:12 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  I know the actions of atheists and that is one of the reasons why I joined your forum. If I go to the middle of the Smokey Mtn National Park to a place that took hours of difficult hiking and see a synagogue, a Buddhist temple, a cross, or golden calf that has been there for 90 years, I would not demand the government remove such. So I don't understand when atheists (who have stated in this forum that the only thing you can conclude about them is that they don't believe in God; live and let live) will sue the government to remove these items. None of these items will have any effect on me; but apparently, the thought of a cross is too much for some atheists.
BTW: If it is "affect", Sadcryface2

Clearly you DON'T know the "actions of atheists". You may know about what you PRESUME to be the actions of a few. Show us your poll and the data you took from it, Mr. All-Sciency-An-Shit ?
You still have not answered or addressed the QUESTIONS at hand. Then you post another topic. Are you unable to comprehend a subject line ? Your post was all totally irrelevant and incoherent. I sure hope this isn't an example of your reasoning ability. Facepalm Sadcryface2

Many theists also support the separation of church and state (not just atheists). They get that the establishment of ANY religion is a threat to THEIR religion. Your post is out of context, and meaningless. You obviously also know NOTHING about the law, or its implications. You may get away with this random nonsense on the air. Your example is also the fallacy of the false analogy. Perhaps you should consider taking a Logic course ? What you would do, is irrelevant. Or are you a Constitutional lawyer too ?

I spoke truthfully, I do not know any atheists to the extent that I can ask questions of morality. Statements on the show about how atheists would think are based upon one person who was once an atheist, but no longer. By coming on this forum, I get the hear the opinion of many different atheists.

My example actually happened in California. I've mentioned it many times on the show. A large chunk of land in the desert was incorporated into a Mojave National Preserve where the cross had stood for 70 years. As soon as the land was incorporated, the government was sued to remove the cross by someone from Oregon; states rights and grandfather clause be danged.