We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 05:31 AM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
There are Christians who're not totally unhinged. Somewhere. I think.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2016, 05:39 AM
(26-04-2016 07:00 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Do you want the Co-Host of God-Talk, who is now a pastor of a church, to speak for you as a one-time atheist? Do you want our listeners do speak for you?

The point was that you made conflicting statements. Either you "have many atheist friends" or you "do not know any atheists". As others have noted, if you are involved in a scientific field and don't know any atheists then I have to assume you are doing your rocket science for AIG or some similar farcical group.

Quote:That is why I came to this forum to have a civil conversation of inquisitive questions and answers with people who are not friends, I don't know, who have no desire to seek God. I simply want to ask questions because I do not know from your perspective.

Your doing a bang-up job if it so far, probably because your idea of civility is sorely lacking. Your "questions" are loaded with assumptions about who atheists are and you have shown zero ability to comprehend what people are saying or to consider that you may just be wrong on some things.

I expect that this experience will simply confirm the "angry atheist" image for you which is a shame since your own attitudes and prejudices will have prevented you from learning anything about atheists.

Quote:Most of our atheist listeners were at one time theists, so they are not a good source to ask questions from a pure atheist perspective.

What makes you think that most of the people here aren't in that same category? Your assumptions are showing again.

(26-04-2016 08:28 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  We have interviewed several former atheists on the show. They had all grew up in a church environment until their college years and fell out. Years later they rejoined the church and became theologians. I'm trying to find people who have never been in church (I've would label as a pure atheist) to answer questions about morality.

"pure" is probably a bad term for that since it carries implications of conforming to some orthodoxy. The only way to not be a pure atheist would be to believe that a god exists in which case you aren't an atheist at all. If you want people who have never been believers then say that.

Quote:All of the former atheists who have been on the show have stated that EVERYONE is a seeker. I bet most on this forum would disagree.

I would bet they wouldn't but it depends on what your definition of seeker is. I'm always seeking to understand more about reality but I am not seeking any supernatural force to answer all my questions and make it all better.

(26-04-2016 09:10 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Historically accurate: Where it makes a difference, Yes. Where it doesn't (e.g., Noah's ark, Garden of Eden), I don't care.

So you cherry-pick what makes you comfortable and conforms to your preconceptions. noted.

Quote:Do you consider the bible to be a source of ethics and moral guidance? Yes

There are some good things in the bible. There are also a lot of vile, disgusting things.

Quote:How do you reconcile the ethical contradiction inherent in the doctrine of vicarious redemption? I will refer this question to my pastor. It may take a few days; I'm an engineer, not a theologian.

So you are unable to think for yourself and simply take direction from authority figures. noted.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
27-04-2016, 05:43 AM
(26-04-2016 01:33 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 01:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you talk about atheists? Consider

We are scientists on God-Talk. We are trying to explain how improbable things have happened to us. I have a friend that I had not spoken to for 20 years; while I was looking up his phone number, my phone rang and he was calling me. Would an atheist say that is just coincidence?
Maybe you can come on the show and tell us what you think.

Yes, it is just a coincidence.

Think of all the times you thought of people and they didn't call and all the times someone called and you hadn't been thinking of them. Those vastly outnumber that one incident.
You are assigning importance to a trivial coincidence. That is very human, it is just not an accurate assessment of probability.

What I would tell you and your audience is to learn to think critically and especially to learn about probability.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-04-2016, 05:54 AM
(26-04-2016 01:41 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 01:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If that is true, and all you want is to provide accurate information about atheists, then the information you provide is simple.

Atheists don't believe in gods.

That is the ONLY defining characteristic of an atheist. Any other "information" is inaccurate. There's nothing more than that. Period. If you apply any other qualification for atheism you are doing so dishonestly.

Interview done.

At God-Talk, we don't care if you believe or don't believe in God. I only want to know how NOT believing in God effects affects how you treat other people.

How does believing in a god affect the way you treat people?
Do you shun family members who 'fall away'?
Do you torture apostates?
Do you strap on bombs and blow people up?
Do you fly airplanes into buildings?
Do you burn witches?
Do you believe that demons cause disease?
Do you take the Bible as fact?
You probably don't do any of those, nor do I.

Do you give to charity?
Do you help those in trouble?
Do you give your time to worthy causes?
Does your conscience bother you if you have hurt someone?
Do you care for your family?
Do you show kindness to strangers?
You probably do, and so do I.

Quote:We want to know your thoughts on ghosts, death of a love one, and naturalism.

There is no evidence of ghosts.
People die and it saddens me.
There is no evidence of anything but naturalism.

[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
27-04-2016, 05:59 AM
(26-04-2016 02:09 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 01:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  I have an unbearable urge to correct their spelling. After all I've only got this one life.

Ghosts don't exist. Loved ones die and are gone forever. We will never see them again and even the memories will fade. It's a shit deal, right enough.

Naturalism I assume you refer to the idea that all things are bound by natural law and thus that the supernatural does not exist. Yes. I agree with that.

Naturalism; I was referring to nudity. Do Atheist see a problem with nudity? Even the nudity of your elderly parents or teenage daughters?

BTW: Please correct my spelling and grammar, because I really worry about such things.Thumbsup

That's naturism.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-04-2016, 06:09 AM
(26-04-2016 07:12 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 05:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You can't possibly be serious. You don't actually know any atheists ?
Yet your programs seem to know a lot about them ?
Facepalm
Doh.

Un-fucking-believable.

I know the actions of atheists and that is one of the reasons why I joined your forum.

No, you don't.
You know of some actions by some atheists.

Quote:If I go to the middle of the Smokey Mtn National Park to a place that took hours of difficult hiking and see a synagogue, a Buddhist temple, a cross, or golden calf that has been there for 90 years, I would not demand the government remove such. So I don't understand when atheists (who have stated in this forum that the only thing you can conclude about them is that they don't believe in God; live and let live) will sue the government to remove these items. None of these items will have any effect on me; but apparently, the thought of a cross is too much for some atheists.
BTW: If it is "affect", Sadcryface2

You utterly miss the point. Facepalm

It is about the separation of church and state. Look it up.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-04-2016, 06:14 AM
(26-04-2016 08:45 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  I spoke truthfully, I do not know any atheists to the extent that I can ask questions of morality. Statements on the show about how atheists would think are based upon one person who was once an atheist, but no longer. By coming on this forum, I get the hear the opinion of many different atheists.

My example actually happened in California. I've mentioned it many times on the show. A large chunk of land in the desert was incorporated into a Mojave National Preserve where the cross had stood for 70 years. As soon as the land was incorporated, the government was sued to remove the cross by someone from Oregon; states rights and grandfather clause be danged.

Federal land - "states rights" doesn't apply.

There is no "grandfather clause".

You really haven't got a clue about the separation of church and state, do you. Consider

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-04-2016, 06:19 AM
This idiot has not the SLIGHTEST clue what he's babbling about.

"Naturalism" = "nudity" FacepalmLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

nat·u·ral·ism
ˈnaCH(ə)rəˌlizəm/
noun
(in art and literature) a style and theory of representation based on the accurate depiction of detail.
a philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 07:01 AM
(27-04-2016 06:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This idiot has not the SLIGHTEST clue what he's babbling about.

"Naturalism" = "nudity" FacepalmLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

nat·u·ral·ism
ˈnaCH(ə)rəˌlizəm/
noun
(in art and literature) a style and theory of representation based on the accurate depiction of detail.
a philosophical viewpoint according to which everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted.
He's thinking "naturist", I believe. Close, but no cigar.
27-04-2016, 07:04 AM
(27-04-2016 07:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 06:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This idiot has not the SLIGHTEST clue what he's babbling about.

nat·u·ral·ism
ˈnaCH(ə)rəˌlizəm/
noun
He's thinking "naturist", I believe. Close, but no cigar.

I'm thinking
MD who lost his license (so took up preaching) + one VERY OLD retired engineer = not really worth bothering with.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post