We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 09:19 AM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(26-04-2016 03:08 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 02:30 PM)skyking Wrote:  I am personally offended by your questions already.
I have known plenty of assholes in my day, and theism was no measure to determine who was going to be one, or not.
This "question" above is "are you an asshole?"
Your questions are intended to try and put people into boxes, which is a typical theist behavior. Judge not lest ye be judged by the most judgemental bunch of hypocrites I know.

What does "lest" or "ye" mean? Never even read it until now. Who is being judgmental?
So you are saying that someone who would dump their spouse, who can't remember them, would be a jerk. Fair enough. That is not the answer I expected.
I'm glad I asked.

What the hell is wrong with you, anyway?

You shouldn't judge others but since you do.....My father was an atheist as was his father before him. My mother had aneurysm and part of her brain was removed which left her incapacitated for the rest of her life. He spent the next 14 years of her life taking care of her.

While driving down a rural road my father saw a homeless man without shoes and a coat. It was snowing. He stopped the car, took off most of his clothes and gave the man his shirt, socks, shoes, coat and hat and let me tell you something bub, we were almost destitute ourselves.

He didn't do stuff like this because he was expecting some sort of nifty afterlife or because of a fear of an invisible man in the sky, or religious dogma, he did it because he, like most people in the world, have an intrinsic empathy for others. It's an evolved human trait and has nothing to do with the hundreds of gods people have invented.

You need to learn a few things.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-04-2016, 09:33 AM
(27-04-2016 08:30 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  #1: As a Southern Gentleman, of course you offer a lady your seat; has nothing to do with religion.

I know right?! Religion has nothing to do with that!

(27-04-2016 08:30 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  #2: Depends upon the location. I've picked up plenty of people in need; but I've also driven by scary people who could walk a half mile to the gas station. Definitely depends upon the location and their situation.

In addition to it being morally reprehensible to hit a person with your car and then leave them there, it's also against the law. You have no problem breaking the law? If you hit someone and leave the scene, that's a hit and run. Potentially vehicular homicide. What's wrong with you?

All Christians must be immoral people willing to break the law for their own convenience.

(27-04-2016 08:30 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  3: Of course you move your parents in with you. What type of question is that?

So you are saying that someone who would dump their spouse, who can't remember them parent who is ill, would be a jerk. Fair enough. That is not the answer I expected.
I'm glad I asked.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
27-04-2016, 09:51 AM
(26-04-2016 02:13 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  QUESTION 1:
If you spouse of 25 years has a stroke and no longer remembers you (or anything about your marriage), but needs assistance. Would you leave them for somebody else?
Who is "you" in this question?
Some people will answer "Yes", and these people will include Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, Wiccans, Satanists, etc...
Some people will answer "No", and these people will include Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, Wiccans, Satanists, etc...

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
27-04-2016, 10:03 AM
I know of multiple cases of people who have had horrible early dementia or alzheimer's take ahold of the person. And some cases of a husband being with and eventually marrying another person as his wife was basically in a lost mental cognitive state due to the illness and others who stood with a wife in that state for over a decade.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-04-2016, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2016 10:23 AM by Tomasia.)
(27-04-2016 09:12 AM)skyking Wrote:  would you leave your wife of 25 years if she could no longer recognize or remember you, Tomasia?

No. The whole in sickness and in health thing, you know?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-04-2016, 10:24 AM
(27-04-2016 10:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 09:12 AM)skyking Wrote:  would you leave your wife of 25 years if she could no longer recognize or remember you, Tomasia?

No. The whole in sickness and in health thing, you know?
Smile
you can see what that kind of question is going to generate?
27-04-2016, 10:47 AM
(27-04-2016 10:24 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 10:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No. The whole in sickness and in health thing, you know?
Smile

Sure, but I think it also mistakes the intention of it.

A theists like myself expanding on why I wouldn't leave my wife, is likely to appeal to what he sees as objective moral obligations, a sacred obligation to devote himself to his wife till the end, offer somewhat religious reasons.

For theists whose likely interactions with atheists are minimal, they might be fairly ignorant as to how a person who doesn't hold similar beliefs, might express this. But I do think there are distinctions in how a theists might justify why he wouldn't leave his wife, and an atheists, at least when expanding on it.

Our answers are likely to be similar in the short form, but likely diverge in longer expansions. There might not be any real difference why we all might stay with our wives, but there's is likely to be differences in why we believe we would.

At least, that would be a charitable interpretation as to why he might be asking that question.

An analogy would be atheists who ask theists whether they would kill their children if God demanded them to. I don't think most atheists who ask this question, expect many theist to say yes. But rather because they see something contradictory in responding yes, and want to explore that.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
27-04-2016, 10:56 AM
yes, that was charitable.
you took what was posited as a yes or no question and turned it into a multi part question to serve your purposes.
27-04-2016, 10:56 AM
(27-04-2016 09:51 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 02:13 PM)kyrocketman Wrote:  QUESTION 1:
If you spouse of 25 years has a stroke and no longer remembers you (or anything about your marriage), but needs assistance. Would you leave them for somebody else?
Who is "you" in this question?
Some people will answer "Yes", and these people will include Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, Wiccans, Satanists, etc...
Some people will answer "No", and these people will include Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, Wiccans, Satanists, etc...

My brother a Hallalulah Kiss me Jesus preacher did just that. His wife got Alzheimer and he had her locked up and hasn't been back to visit her for these 7 years. I have and 3 of his kids have, but not the preacher man. He says she is no longer present, and he'll see her in Heaven!
[+] 4 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
27-04-2016, 10:59 AM
(27-04-2016 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 10:24 AM)skyking Wrote:  Smile

Sure, but I think it also mistakes the intention of it.

A theists like myself expanding on why I wouldn't leave my wife, is likely to appeal to what he sees as objective moral obligations, a sacred obligation to devote himself to his wife till the end, offer somewhat religious reasons.

For theists whose likely interactions with atheists are minimal, they might be fairly ignorant as to how a person who doesn't hold similar beliefs, might express this. But I do think there are distinctions in how a theists might justify why he wouldn't leave his wife, and an atheists, at least when expanding on it.

Our answers are likely to be similar in the short form, but likely diverge in longer expansions. There might not be any real difference why we all might stay with our wives, but there's is likely to be differences in why we believe we would.

At least, that would be a charitable interpretation as to why he might be asking that question.

An analogy would be atheists who ask theists whether they would kill their children if God demanded them to. I don't think most atheists who ask this question, expect many theist to say yes. But rather because they see something contradictory in responding yes, and want to explore that.

We are simply all human and most of us love our families. Sometimes things are simple.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post