We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(27-04-2016 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A theists like myself expanding on why I wouldn't leave my wife, is likely to appeal to what he sees as objective moral obligations, a sacred obligation to devote himself to his wife till the end, offer somewhat religious reasons.
Our answers are likely to be similar in the short form, but likely diverge in longer expansions. There might not be any real difference why we all might stay with our wives, but there's is likely to be differences in why we believe we would.

Of course there are differences. You appeal to some vague undefined objective moral code and I wouldn't leave for purely selfish reasons. It would diminish me in my own eyes. No gods or morals required.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-04-2016, 11:06 AM
(27-04-2016 10:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  We are simply all human and most of us love our families. Sometimes things are simple.

I don't understand why this is not a sufficient answer for some people.

Saying you need a god to enforce your vows devalues the vows.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 9 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
27-04-2016, 11:21 AM
(27-04-2016 11:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A theists like myself expanding on why I wouldn't leave my wife, is likely to appeal to what he sees as objective moral obligations, a sacred obligation to devote himself to his wife till the end, offer somewhat religious reasons.
Our answers are likely to be similar in the short form, but likely diverge in longer expansions. There might not be any real difference why we all might stay with our wives, but there's is likely to be differences in why we believe we would.

Of course there are differences. You appeal to some vague undefined objective moral code and I wouldn't leave for purely selfish reasons. It would diminish me in my own eyes. No gods or morals required.

And as a matter of fact, THAT (being true to your own *authentic self*) is what Barth, Martin Buber (Jewish), and Paul Tillich (Christian) all said religious morality consists of.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2016, 11:32 AM
(27-04-2016 11:21 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 11:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Of course there are differences. You appeal to some vague undefined objective moral code and I wouldn't leave for purely selfish reasons. It would diminish me in my own eyes. No gods or morals required.

And as a matter of fact, THAT (being true to your own *authentic self*) is what Barth, Martin Buber (Jewish), and Paul Tillich (Christian) all said religious morality consists of.

So saith The Bob. SLACK!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-04-2016, 11:58 AM
(27-04-2016 10:56 AM)skyking Wrote:  yes, that was charitable.
you took what was posited as a yes or no question and turned it into a multi part question to serve your purposes.

And I'm suggesting it possibly was a part of a multi-part question.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-04-2016, 12:14 PM
All this talk about morality is very interesting. Next Topic for TTA TOPIC TALKS is Morality (After Scientology).

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
27-04-2016, 12:17 PM
(27-04-2016 12:14 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  All this talk about morality is very interesting. Next Topic for TTA TOPIC TALKS is Morality (After Scientology).

Can't we start with scatology?

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-04-2016, 12:33 PM
(27-04-2016 12:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 12:14 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  All this talk about morality is very interesting. Next Topic for TTA TOPIC TALKS is Morality (After Scientology).

Can't we start with scatology?

[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
27-04-2016, 01:39 PM

Heathenness already has a thread on ethics.. Post away.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-04-2016, 02:04 PM
(27-04-2016 01:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Heathenness already has a thread on ethics.. Post away.

I thought he meant via some group chat like thing... because if he means just a thread, there's a new god forsaken(or stalked) morality thread on this board every 2 weeks at least.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post