We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 10:58 AM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(28-04-2016 10:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or I might not, I might grow up in culture that thought that, and find it wrong. Just like those who grow up in culture that viewed blacks as less than human, were able to recognize that as wrong.

Culture might blind you from what's true, but you might recognize what's true regardless

TommyBoy is the one human on Earth who isn't influenced by cultures around him. He is insulated because he is special.

And his "recognition" happens magically, or, alternatively, he goes to the (witch) doctor, and gets a "values shot" .... but come to values by *learning* and exposure to culture .... never. Facepalm

Fuck

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 11:01 AM
(28-04-2016 10:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That you need a particular culture to tell you what's right and wrong, says a lot about your character.

Self-contradiction following in 3..2..

I was not the one who said that to you, so, thanks for proving you are unable to analyze a comment for its source. ALL human children, including YOU and me, LEARN their cultural values, (but since you know nothing about Psychology and human development, you wouldn't know anything about your subjective moral system you LEARNED from you environment. After you get done with English 101, maybe Bible College will let you take remedial Anthropology 101.

You don't need cultural values to recognize what's right and wrong, some degree of empathy would serve well.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-04-2016, 11:01 AM
(28-04-2016 10:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:54 AM)Loom Wrote:  Hence the 'probably.'

For the most part you take your morals from the culture in which you are raised.

Much like how feral children often behave just like who or what they are raised by.

If you grew up in culture that believed the earth was flat, you'd probably believe the world was flat too.

So is truth also a cultural construct?
If I was raised believing the earth was flat, of course I would, unless presented evidence it was false.

It's much in the same way that you can teach a child orange is blue, and they won't know the better of it unless shown otherwise.

Belief does not equate truth, nor is it a cultural construct. Believing in a flat earth does not make it so.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
28-04-2016, 11:02 AM
(28-04-2016 10:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:40 AM)Loom Wrote:  Err if you were raised in a culture that taught you that women were property, subhuman, that's what you'd probably believe.
Or I might not, I might grow up in culture that thought that, and find it wrong. Just like those who grow up in culture that viewed blacks as less than human, were able to recognize that as wrong.

Culture might blind you from what's true, but you might recognize what's true regardless

But the very fact that we had societies where slavery was a cultural norm belies your argument against cultural norms. People where raised in a culture that enabled, supported, and relied upon slavery as a matter of fact; and that culture managed to be accepted and perpetuate itself. Slavery itself was seen as morally acceptable, because it had become a cultural norm.

People even went so far as to use their religion to support their acceptance of slavery. Because their holy book was authored in a culture that didn't see slavery as morally objectionable either. Gasp

Man, you are really bad at this shit, you know that?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-04-2016, 11:03 AM
(28-04-2016 11:01 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you grew up in culture that believed the earth was flat, you'd probably believe the world was flat too.

So is truth also a cultural construct?
If I was raised believing the earth was flat, of course I would, unless presented evidence it was false.

It's much in the same way that you can teach a child orange is blue, and they won't know the better of it unless shown otherwise.

Belief does not equate truth, nor is it a cultural construct. Believing in a flat earth does not make it so.

I'd say the same can be said about morality.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-04-2016, 11:07 AM
(28-04-2016 11:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or I might not, I might grow up in culture that thought that, and find it wrong. Just like those who grow up in culture that viewed blacks as less than human, were able to recognize that as wrong.

But the very fact that we had societies where slavery was a cultural norm belies your argument against cultural norms. People where raised in a culture that enabled, supported, and relied upon slavery as a matter of fact; and that culture managed to be accepted and perpetuate itself. Slavery itself was seen as morally acceptable, because it had become a cultural norm.

People even went so far as to use their religion to support their acceptance of slavery. Gasp

And we had societies that believed the earth was flat. They were wrong. Just like those who believed African American are less than human were wrong. They aren't just wrong now, they were wrong then as well.

28-04-2016, 11:07 AM
(28-04-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 10:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I was not the one who said that to you, so, thanks for proving you are unable to analyze a comment for its source. ALL human children, including YOU and me, LEARN their cultural values, (but since you know nothing about Psychology and human development, you wouldn't know anything about your subjective moral system you LEARNED from you environment. After you get done with English 101, maybe Bible College will let you take remedial Anthropology 101.

You don't need cultural values to recognize what's right and wrong, some degree of empathy would serve well.

Well rats, (as we know) have empathy.
But thanks for admitting yet again, the origin your values and empathy is not religion.

(But no, it's why really educated people need to study Ethics, and hospitals NEED Ethics Committees, and why there is SO many arguments about various situations ... ethical decisions are complex, and not knee-jerk. Complex ethical values are LEARNED).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 11:15 AM
(28-04-2016 11:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You don't need cultural values to recognize what's right and wrong, some degree of empathy would serve well.

Well rats, (as we know) have empathy.
But thanks for admitting yet again, the origin your values and empathy is not religion.

If moral values as you claim are a product of culture, I would assume for us Westerners at least, 2000 years of Christianity would have been a considerable role in the moral values we hold now, that were product of that history?

So if cultural is the detriment here, it would be kind of silly to suggest that predominant religion of the last 2000 years hasn't shaped them.

Perhaps in the western world the value we place on Love, the value we place on Truth, is an outgrowth of our religious traditions. At least that's Nietzsche's suggestion.

This is a point reserved for those who hold to the influence of culture here.

28-04-2016, 11:23 AM
(28-04-2016 11:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But the very fact that we had societies where slavery was a cultural norm belies your argument against cultural norms. People where raised in a culture that enabled, supported, and relied upon slavery as a matter of fact; and that culture managed to be accepted and perpetuate itself. Slavery itself was seen as morally acceptable, because it had become a cultural norm.

People even went so far as to use their religion to support their acceptance of slavery. Gasp

And we had societies that believed the earth was flat. They were wrong. Just like those who believed African American are less than human were wrong. They aren't just wrong now, they were wrong then as well.

A flat earth is not in the same category as ethical values, or empathy, or how others are treated. Your analogy is false. (Could you ask for your tuition back, and go somewhere else that really teaches critical thinking ?)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 11:24 AM
(28-04-2016 10:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you grew up in culture that believed the earth was flat, you'd probably believe the world was flat too.

All animals are born with certain traits, and then in early childhood there is a phase of "imprinting". This is gleaned from events around the baby and things taught by parents. The events are later forgotten, but the "imprint" remains. After that we start evaluating information and it's called indoctrination.

Imprinting is impossible to remove, indoctrination can be removed. How difficult that is depends on how intense the indoctrination was and the personality of the person/animal that was indoctrinated.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post