We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 11:28 AM
(28-04-2016 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And we had societies that believed the earth was flat. They were wrong. Just like those who believed African American are less than human were wrong. They aren't just wrong now, they were wrong then as well.

A flat earth is not in the same category as ethical values, or empathy, or how others are treated.

A flat earth is equivalent to the claim that African Americans are less than human, that Jews are to blame for all of Germany's problems. In that they are all false.

Quote:Could you ask for your tuition back, and go somewhere else that really teaches critical thinking ?)

I wish, it would have kept me from swimming in student loan debt.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(28-04-2016 11:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well rats, (as we know) have empathy.
But thanks for admitting yet again, the origin your values and empathy is not religion.

If moral values as you claim are a product of culture, I would assume for us Westerners at least, 2000 years of Christianity would have been a considerable role in the moral values we hold now, that were product of that history?

So if cultural is the detriment here, it would be kind of silly to suggest that predominant religion of the last 2000 years hasn't shaped them.

Perhaps in the western world the value we place on Love, the value we place on Truth, is an outgrowth of our religious traditions. At least that's Nietzsche's suggestion.

This is a point reserved for those who hold to the influence of culture here.

1. It's determinant, not detriment ...two entirely different things.

2. You are not following, dear. It's not about how the values were shaped, it's about HOW WE learn them.

3. The value placed on "love" in the West is traceable and interesting.
a. marriage used to be a contract for property arranged by parents.
b. then it began to include love
c. only VERY recently did it become "about love" (only)

The subject of Christianity's concept of love, (as it morphed from a "virtue" to a "god") is not the subject here. And it's also not the origin of the value or concept. Romantic love arose in the West with the Medieval concept of "chivalry" etc. See Joseph Campbell.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 11:14 AM by DLJ.)
Just a reminder to the members of TTA, if you should choose to participate in OP's podcast thing (or anyone else's) it is because you want to and you aren't a representative of this forum or of Seth, the owner of the The Thinking Atheist brand or, indeed, of the Thinking Atheist community in general.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-04-2016, 11:35 AM
(28-04-2016 11:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The subject of Christianity's concept of love, (as it morphed from a "virtue" to a "god") is not the subject here. And it's also not the origin of the value or concept. Romantic love arose in the West with the Medieval concept of "chivalry" etc. See Joseph Campbell.

Christianity did that to both Love and Truth, at least in the western world, made Gods out of them. Not just that, it also declared Love as the highest virtue, even higher than faith itself.

I'm wondering since you speak so strongly for the role of culture in shaping the values we hold, would you credit Christianity as a perhaps the most significant influencer to our western obsession with these values?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-04-2016, 11:54 AM
(27-04-2016 08:12 AM)kyrocketman Wrote:  Banjo, you are one angry M.F.
I only come into TTA to ask if any of you have the civility to come onto my show and speak civil about certain questions on morality. One person ask me a question and I answered. If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask. Don't accuse me of trying to preach to you, because I don't care about you.
Take some Lithium.
I will not reply to any more of your posts.
Sweet cheeks!
Good day to you sir!

Why would any self-respecting atheist wish to debase themselves by appearing on your ludicrous, bullshit podcast if these types of offensive comments are typical of your standards [sic] of debate?

As a theist and an apologist you join an atheists' forum and then proceed to insult its members? This is only typical of the hypocrisy of religion with its "do as I say, not as I do" mentality. You talk of "civility" and in the very same breath show totally uncivil behaviour towards us.

I have two words to say to you mate: Fuck off. Now. (Which was actually three, but I'm sure you get the point.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
28-04-2016, 11:54 AM
When on our actual Earth did that happen? I guess I'm waiting for it transition to hit here then.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-04-2016, 12:25 PM
(28-04-2016 11:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The subject of Christianity's concept of love, (as it morphed from a "virtue" to a "god") is not the subject here. And it's also not the origin of the value or concept. Romantic love arose in the West with the Medieval concept of "chivalry" etc. See Joseph Campbell.

Christianity did that to both Love and Truth, at least in the western world, made Gods out of them. Not just that, it also declared Love as the highest virtue, even higher than faith itself.

I'm wondering since you speak so strongly for the role of culture in shaping the values we hold, would you credit Christianity as a perhaps the most significant influencer to our western obsession with these values?

No.
Hollywood, baby.

(Actually truth was never a "god". "God is love" is repeated in churches today, around the world.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 12:28 PM
(28-04-2016 11:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A flat earth is equivalent to the claim that African Americans are less than human, that Jews are to blame for all of Germany's problems. In that they are all false.

Nope. A flat earth is not an ethical problem, simply a scientific one.
You demean the other two by equating them to a flat earth.

[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-04-2016, 12:32 PM
(28-04-2016 12:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 11:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A flat earth is equivalent to the claim that African Americans are less than human, that Jews are to blame for all of Germany's problems. In that they are all false.

Nope. A flat earth is not an ethical problem, simply a scientific one.
You demean the other two by equating them to a flat earth.

He doesn't understand objective vs subjective.

He doesn't even seem to understand how subjective can't be binary. Laugh out load

(well, at the very least, I can't think of a subjective thing that is binary)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
28-04-2016, 01:01 PM
(28-04-2016 10:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 03:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Interesting. You stay with your wife simply because of an obligation ordered by another.

I, as an atheist, nursed my mother through MS for nearly 10 years. Because I cared.

Therein lies the difference.

No therein lies your belief that one negates the other. I have an obligation to care, to love others, to do what's right and good, and just.

It's an obligation woven into who I am. It's to say that in the messiness of human life, I find myself at some weak points desiring to abandon her in her time of need, to recognize that is not right.

Thanks for admitting it.

Oh and OP.

Do not mistake knowledge and contempt for anger.

Obviously you wish me to be angry. Obviously my knowledge of scripture scared the hell out of you. Rather, I hold religion in contempt. Contempt is not anger.

contempt
kənˈtɛm(p)t/Submit
noun
the feeling that a person or a thing is worthless or beneath consideration.

anger
ˈaŋɡə/
noun
a strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility.

While they may seem similar. They are actually different.

I don't care if you are unworthy of responding to my knowledge of scripture. Go get your pastor. I shall respond to him.

And remember, this is NOT your site. You came here.

And Mum, we all realize we do not represent Seth. How could I do so? I was never religious.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post