We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 01:59 PM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(02-05-2016 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Completely disingenuous. I said I would, if you met the requirements of telling us what it is. It has NOTHING to do with "too whatever". I want a coherent definition, and objective mechanisms proposed to do what you imply with your OWN words.

So you want me to prove to you that objective truth exists? That I have define what truth means, and then demonstrate to you that it exists objectively?

You don't hold an affirmative position here in regards to truth or morality, that you would defend or support?

Well, yes. If you assert something to be true, you have to prove why it's true. That's how it works. What would be the alternative, belief in blind assertions?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
02-05-2016, 01:59 PM
(02-05-2016 01:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Every human brain assembles facts and standards for both truth and morality.

Exactly. And every brain draws these conclusions from it's experience. And that is different for everyone.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-05-2016, 02:01 PM
(02-05-2016 01:59 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Well, yes. If you assert something to be true, you have to prove why it's true. That's how it works. What would be the alternative, belief in blind assertions?

So no one here is willing to assert the objective truth exists? They just want me to assert it, and prove it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-05-2016, 02:02 PM
(02-05-2016 01:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Every human brain assembles facts and standards for both truth and morality.

.... said Bucky. Weeping
Dodgy

That Tommy The Trickster. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
(02-05-2016 01:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Exactly. And every brain draws these conclusions from it's experience. And that is different for everyone.

But does this mean that truth is subjective, in your view?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
(02-05-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:55 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Every human brain assembles facts and standards for both truth and morality."

aka, IT'S SUBJECTIVE (how many times are you going to directly contradict yourself? Consider )

So truth and morality are subjective, because "every human brain assembles facts and standards for both truth and morality."?

Because that's what brains do, they LEARN. Want to know I how I know brains learn, I learned it! You should try it some time. It's easy:
Step 1) admit you're ignorant and need to learn
Step 2) learn what you don't know
Step 3) keep going, you don't know it all yet and never will

You're doing it wrong if you can't admit when wrong.
You're also doing it wrong if you're not trying to listen to others.
You're also doing it wrong if you keep shifting the burden of proof, moving the goal posts, throwing out red herrings, using straw men, etc, etc, etc.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
(02-05-2016 02:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So truth and morality are subjective, because "every human brain assembles facts and standards for both truth and morality."?

Because that's what brains do, they LEARN. Want to know I how I know brains learn, I learned it! You should try it some time. It's easy:
Step 1) admit you're ignorant and need to learn
Step 2) learn what you don't know
Step 3) keep going, you don't know it all yet and never will

You're doing it wrong if you can't admit when wrong.
You're also doing it wrong if you're not trying to listen to others.
You're also doing it wrong if you keep shifting the burden of proof, moving the goal posts, throwing out red herrings, using straw men, etc, etc, etc.

You avoided answering the question.

02-05-2016, 02:04 PM
(02-05-2016 02:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:59 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Well, yes. If you assert something to be true, you have to prove why it's true. That's how it works. What would be the alternative, belief in blind assertions?

So no one here is willing to assert the objective truth exists? They just want me to assert it, and prove it.

you are the one who is making the claim about it, prove the claim. I have no real opinion about objective truth. First you should probably define what you mean by that.

I don't think we can prove things are 100% true. However, for practicality's sake, I do believe that truth exists as long as it is defined like so: Truth: That which is consistent with the persistent reality around us.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-05-2016, 02:05 PM
(02-05-2016 02:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Exactly. And every brain draws these conclusions from it's experience. And that is different for everyone.

Show us the measure of "truth" and how one does this measure. Then show us the way to quantify the amount of truth that exists, and how you ascertain this.

How much "truth" does a statement need in order to be "true?" Is it proportional? Can it be 90% "truth" and 10% "not" and still be "true?" What about the reverse? What units does a "truth" have?

Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
02-05-2016, 02:05 PM
(02-05-2016 02:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Exactly. And every brain draws these conclusions from it's experience. And that is different for everyone.

Yes , it does. I myself don't even have the same truths now that I had 30 years ago. Never mind comparing my truth to that of an Afghani sheepherder, or even yours and mine.

Truth and morality are subjective. They look differently to different people, and they change over time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post