We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(04-05-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 10:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nope. Fallacy of the false analogy. As I said, there are all sorts of communication/verification methods we have to communicate/detect/study/verify/learn about, what is external to our minds. We are not limited to "talking to the guards", (although you might be).

Did you escape you mind when you were communicating with others, or when you were verifying something?

I think not.

Nice try at changing the goal posts. Your stupid analogy implied that all we could do was find out about what was "near" ("talking to the guards"). Would you say looking at a space image billions of miles away by use of the Hubble telescope, IN ANY WAY resembles just being able to "talk to the guards".

How's life down there, in the rabbit hole ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 12:58 PM
(04-05-2016 12:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Did you escape you mind when you were communicating with others, or when you were verifying something?

I think not.

Nice try at changing the goal posts. Your stupid analogy implied that all we could do was find out about what was "near" ("talking to the guards"). Would you say looking a space image billions of miles away by use of the Hubble, IN ANY WAY resembles just being able to "talk to the guards".

No, you incorrectly assumed that I implied that, but you lack the honesty to admit that, and prefer to accuse me of moving the goal posts, instead. lol.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-05-2016, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 01:58 PM by jabeady.)
(04-05-2016 10:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Like a guy in a prison cell, who can communicate with the guards. Doesn't change the fact that he's trapped in his cell/mind. I'm not escaping my mind when talking with other minds.

I always hate myself when I get into these going - nowhere threads. Anyway...

The prisoner has prior knowledge of the outside world and has almost constant contact with it, and he is able to compare new information with old. Isolation does not imply ignorance, incapacitation or delusion. In fact, it's well-known that incarcerated kingpins are quite able to operate their organizations from behind bars, including the ability to order the assassination of inmates of other prisons in other states. In short, they are quite able to reach outside of themselves and their environment.

You picked a really bad analogy. Do yourself a favor and abandon it.

Oh crap!
04-05-2016, 01:58 PM
(04-05-2016 01:52 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 10:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Like a guy in a prison cell, who can communicate with the guards. Doesn't change the fact that he's trapped in his cell/mind. I'm not escaping my mind when talking with other minds.

I always hate myself when I get into these going - nowhere threads. Anyway...

The prisoner has prior knowledge of the outside world and has almost constant contact with it, and he is able to compare new information with old. Isolation does not imply ignorance, incapacitation or delusion. In fact, it's well-known that incarcerated kingpins are quite able to operate their organizations from behind bars, including the ability to order the assassination of inmates of other prisons in other states.

You picked a really bad analogy.

Oh crap!

The only purpose of the analogy is the fact that he's behind bars, that he can't escape those bars, just like we're trapped in our minds, and can't escape our minds. The extent of what one can do behind bars, is irrelevant. There's still behind bars while doing it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-05-2016, 02:07 PM
(04-05-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The extent of what one can do behind bars, is irrelevant. There's still behind bars while doing it.
So what? If one is perfectly free to operate as one chooses, then it's their location that is irrelevant. The brain is confined to the skull, but it is able to project itself into the world. Hell, read "Johnny Got His Gun." Confinement is nothing more than a state of mind, and that state can be altered.

Oh crap!
04-05-2016, 02:15 PM
(04-05-2016 12:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 12:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nice try at changing the goal posts. Your stupid analogy implied that all we could do was find out about what was "near" ("talking to the guards"). Would you say looking a space image billions of miles away by use of the Hubble, IN ANY WAY resembles just being able to "talk to the guards".

No, you incorrectly assumed that I implied that, but you lack the honesty to admit that, and prefer to accuse me of moving the goal posts, instead. lol.

Then, now, here, do enlighten us, as to how Hubble looking at stars millions and billions of miles away is anything like "talking to the guards", and what EXACTLY you hade in mind by your analogy that I had wrong. At least you could have the honesty to tell people how EXACTLY they misinterpreted your analogy. It's YOUR choice of an analogy. At least you could have the balls to actually defend it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-05-2016, 04:55 PM
We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(04-05-2016 02:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 12:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, you incorrectly assumed that I implied that, but you lack the honesty to admit that, and prefer to accuse me of moving the goal posts, instead. lol.

Then, now, here, do enlighten us, as to how Hubble looking at stars millions and billions of miles away is anything like "talking to the guards", and what EXACTLY you hade in mind by your analogy that I had wrong. At least you could have the honesty to tell people how EXACTLY they misinterpreted your analogy. It's YOUR choice of an analogy. At least you could have the balls to actually defend it.

The analogy was about being trapped in a cell.

The guard was in response to the fact that having conversations with others doesn't negate that you're trapped in a cell.

04-05-2016, 04:58 PM
(04-05-2016 04:55 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then, now, here, do enlighten us, as to how Hubble looking at stars millions and billions of miles away is anything like "talking to the guards", and what EXACTLY you hade in mind by your analogy that I had wrong. At least you could have the honesty to tell people how EXACTLY they misinterpreted your analogy. It's YOUR choice of an analogy. At least you could have the balls to actually defend it.

The guard was in response to the fact that having conversations with others doesn't negate that you're trapped in a cell.

I've been outside the cave. All you have to do is turn around. You're only looking at shadows. The reality is out there.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-05-2016, 06:04 PM
(04-05-2016 04:55 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then, now, here, do enlighten us, as to how Hubble looking at stars millions and billions of miles away is anything like "talking to the guards", and what EXACTLY you hade in mind by your analogy that I had wrong. At least you could have the honesty to tell people how EXACTLY they misinterpreted your analogy. It's YOUR choice of an analogy. At least you could have the balls to actually defend it.

Lovely. You didn't answer the question.

05-05-2016, 08:06 AM
To get to the OP topic, They asked for my email so they could email me the questions they feel like asking. I don't know if its against the rules to post them here, but fuckit. When I get them, I'll let you guys have a chance to answer/debate them amongst yourselves for the benefit of others, that way we can at least post the link if we (or I) get screwed on this thing.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 4 users Like Atothetheist's post