We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 12:57 PM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
You did well. My only problem with the conversation is that when you spoke, they would kinda try to interpret what you said into something that they still didn't understand, but pretended to.

Bless their hearts. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
03-09-2016, 12:58 PM
(03-09-2016 12:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:17 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Nice job DJL.

I wonder when that one guy considered himself an atheists. I imagine as a teen or maybe a young kid. Simply because some of his conclusion don't sound like they came from study. They came from acceptance out of fear or misinformation.

I think perhaps if he ever considered himself an atheist he wasn't one because he saw the flaws in the logic. He was one because he didn't want to go to church or something like that. Maybe if you ever get another chance you could ask him about that.

I feel he maybe lying just to be relatable to you. "I used to think like you but then I saw the light and so can you. It's not to late."

That's not an unreasonable supposition, given that they feature an interview with (or testimony by) a theology professor who sells an entire book based around the "I was an angry atheist" principle. It's literally in the title of the interview:

Dr. Holly Ordway: "Angry Atheist English professor, and athlete, turned to Christian, and now apologist and Theology professor"

Glad i'm not alone in my suspicions.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
(03-09-2016 12:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's not an unreasonable supposition, given that they feature an interview with (or testimony by) a theology professor who sells an entire book based around the "I was an angry atheist" principle. It's literally in the title of the interview:

Dr. Holly Ordway: "Angry Atheist English professor, and athlete, turned to Christian, and now apologist and Theology professor"

Glad i'm not alone in my suspicions.

I'm always suspicious of Christians who try to go that "Christianity is based on intellectualism" route, as I find them to be fond of disingenuous tactics.

One example is the fact that he claimed DLJ agreed with him on most points, when in reality the only thing DLJ agreed upon were some basic definitions. The conclusions drawn from the same data were astoundingly different.

If you'll notice, the smarter one would start a sentence with "Well I know that science says ______, but I just don't think that..." and go on to talk about how he thinks science can't explain things like moral behavior, for instance.

Except it is extremely well understood what the evolutionary (and selfish, I might add) basis of altruistic behavior is in social/tribal animals, including humans. The man claims to have read major authors on this subject, and yet says he "doesn't think" that it explains behavior like self-sacrifice, honor, and conscience.

Serisously? He is either being willfully ignorant, at that point, or disingenuous for the sake of his audience.

The thing I admired most about DLJ's approach was that he, with his globetrotting history and perspective, was able to rock the Kentuckians back on their heels a bit when they tried the "50/50, Christianity or nothing" approach, by showing there was a much broader perspective to the questions. They make the astounding claim that if there is "a god", that it must be their specific version, the one who is angry, jealous, and vengeful, as well as good, just, and holy. Rolleyes

They get away with a lot of claims, such as the ones about the Founding Fathers being Deists and thus believing in the same God as the Christians, by ignoring that the Deist concept of "god" would apply to literally any and all religious claims equally (that is to say, none of them). I'd really like to see them pressed on the issue of why the God Of The Whole Universe™ would just happen to be the deity of one tribe of sheep herders in the ancient near east, after humans existing in some form for at least 3 million years, in modern form for at least 200,000 years, and having developed cities and civilization 10,000 years ago... but God Of The Whole Universe™ appears to one tribe out of the thousands, 3000 years ago, and starts commanding them to smite their enemies and cut their penises?

REALLY!?

Why should I, as an atheist, distinguish these claims from the claims of, say, the tribes who talk about Lord Krishna, who is Vishnu incarnate, who was sent to earth about 3000 years before Jesus?

More importantly, since I accept evolution as a testable and demonstrable reality, why should I not believe the Christian fundamentalists who tell me that if Adam and Eve and "The Fall" are not real, then there is no purpose for Jesus to have died for sins? (They also correctly point out that if evolution is true, then Jesus was deliberately lying to his followers about Adam/Eve, Cain/Abel, and the Flood.) We now know from science that the global flood was physically impossible, that there was never a "first man" and "first woman" let alone a world bred from two people, and that pretty much every foundational mythology of Judaism upon which Christianity is built are nothing more than the expressions of an ignorant people who didn't know a fraction of what we know about the universe, today.

Ironically, the Jews appear to recognize this fact and are okay with acknowledging it-- but then again, their identity is not challenged by a few origins facts being wrong, in the way that Christianity's magical underpinnings are eradicated.

These radio hosts want to have it both ways, pretending to be intellectuals who accept the findings of science while holding on to superstitions that have no basis in reality other than their hopes and dreams and group-think culture. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2016, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 02:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-09-2016 12:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:17 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Nice job DJL.

I wonder when that one guy considered himself an atheists. I imagine as a teen or maybe a young kid. Simply because some of his conclusion don't sound like they came from study. They came from acceptance out of fear or misinformation.

I think perhaps if he ever considered himself an atheist he wasn't one because he saw the flaws in the logic. He was one because he didn't want to go to church or something like that. Maybe if you ever get another chance you could ask him about that.

I feel he maybe lying just to be relatable to you. "I used to think like you but then I saw the light and so can you. It's not to late."

That's not an unreasonable supposition, given that they feature an interview with (or testimony by) a theology professor who sells an entire book based around the "I was an angry atheist" principle. It's literally in the title of the interview:

Typical for them. Ordway is no Professor of Theology. Her degree is in English. She teaches Apologetics. Typical authority fallacy they constantly throw around there.
"Her academic work focuses on imagination in apologetics, with special attention to the writings of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Charles Williams" Laugh out load
Well hell, you would need a LOT of imagination for THOSE great scholars of religion, theology and the Bible.. ! Big Grin

I can "see" why she may have been angry. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Is there a link to DLJ's interview?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-09-2016, 05:06 PM
At work.

I gave a direct link. Think it is one page back. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-09-2016, 05:12 PM
(03-09-2016 05:06 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

I gave a direct link. Think it is one page back. Thumbsup

Thanks mate.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-09-2016, 10:36 AM
(01-09-2016 08:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 02:58 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  They never followed up.

Yes they did.

Not that I actually volunteered and I still don't know why they asked me to be on their show but I've just finished a one hour session. No idea how I came across (probably badly).

Man, that Kentucky accent is weird!

Undecided

Gonna have to listen to that podcast after I get back from work today.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
14-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Looks like I was sufficiently not displeasant enough to be asked back for Round 2.

We'll be recording over the weekend and topics for discussion are (from their 15 "proofs" for god(s) video):

1) The Cosmo Argument
2) Design (Teleological Argument)
5) Degrees of Perfection
6) Abiogenesis
7) Consciousness

Thanks to all the guidance I've received over the years on TTA, my responses will be, in detail:

Really?
Nope
Hahaha, don't think so.
Nah!
Oh! Come on!

Did I miss anything?

Big Grin

[+] 12 users Like DLJ's post
14-10-2016, 04:09 AM
(14-10-2016 02:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Did I miss anything?

PopsTheBoulder's argument from religious experience.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post