We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: We want to hear from you at God-Talk.com
(12-03-2017 10:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 06:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  The idea is to establish some kind of "I know how you guys think". It's not totally illegitimate IMO. I mean, often when theists say some daft thing here someone will mention "Back when I was a Christian..." and so forth. Having that experience *does* mean that we can understand religious concepts etc. Unfortunately the reverse is seldom true. Christians in general, in my experience, no matter how sincere seem to not be able to process atheist thought. Of all the Christians I've ever met who have claimed to have once been atheists, I can think of one with whom one can have a rational discussion. He probably actually was an atheist, I'm assuming he then got whacked over the head with a blunt instrument. All the others seem to claim it as a prelude to "and then I realised Jesus had died for my sins and I was being a terrible person by not accepting Him into my heart".

We actually have a very similar theme going on in my own community. A lot of Jews were raised secular with very little cultural connection and no religious training. Jews for Jesus targets these people for conversion and imprints upon them their first religious experience, which is of course christian. They convince these Jews that because their grandparents kept kosher on Passover, they're basically from Orthodox homes and they have the "go-ahead" to advertise themselves as having been raised orthodox. Not knowing any better, these newly minted Hebrew Christians go forth to proselytize to other secular, disconnected Jews and to the proselyte, they appear to be authentic and thus trustworthy.

The difference here is that the Christians coming to this site are not approaching the religiously disinterested atheists who may only be atheist because of the circumstances of their rearing. The bulk of the people here are quite well read on Christian theology and are capable of biting back.

I like your thoughts on this, one of the things I really don't like about this is a christian "need" to proselytize everyone that isn't holding up a megaphone as big as them about their god (meaning they even proselytize Christians if they aren't loud enough). Like is it possible to understand that people have a right to make their own choice on this? AND that even if they don't choose the particular brand of god being sold doesn't make them a bad person? That its ok, and such a decision should be respected (so stop beating me over the head with your bible that exorcism won't work please grow up)?

I understand that I'm generalizing a bit, I don't mean to imply all Christians do the things I mentioned, just most of the ones I have the missforturne of meeting.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
13-03-2017, 05:16 AM
(12-03-2017 11:44 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 10:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  We actually have a very similar theme going on in my own community. A lot of Jews were raised secular with very little cultural connection and no religious training. Jews for Jesus targets these people for conversion and imprints upon them their first religious experience, which is of course christian. They convince these Jews that because their grandparents kept kosher on Passover, they're basically from Orthodox homes and they have the "go-ahead" to advertise themselves as having been raised orthodox. Not knowing any better, these newly minted Hebrew Christians go forth to proselytize to other secular, disconnected Jews and to the proselyte, they appear to be authentic and thus trustworthy.

The difference here is that the Christians coming to this site are not approaching the religiously disinterested atheists who may only be atheist because of the circumstances of their rearing. The bulk of the people here are quite well read on Christian theology and are capable of biting back.

I like your thoughts on this, one of the things I really don't like about this is a christian "need" to proselytize everyone that isn't holding up a megaphone as big as them about their god (meaning they even proselytize Christians if they aren't loud enough). Like is it possible to understand that people have a right to make their own choice on this? AND that even if they don't choose the particular brand of god being sold doesn't make them a bad person? That its ok, and such a decision should be respected (so stop beating me over the head with your bible that exorcism won't work please grow up)?

I understand that I'm generalizing a bit, I don't mean to imply all Christians do the things I mentioned, just most of the ones I have the missforturne of meeting.

Christians are proselytizers, so it's a part of their religious faith to try to sell people on converting. The best ones just do this by example and let interested people come to them, but the miserable ones conduct themselves like cold-call telemarketers.

Doesn't the NT say somewhere in it that their army of salespersons can lie to people and misrepresent themselves to meet their quarterly sales souls quota?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-03-2017, 05:24 AM
(12-03-2017 09:54 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I was going to call you out on this statement because you're generalizing theists here, but then I remembered that I am a theist who was raised agnostic and secular. Blush

I'm still not sure I agree with you that Jews count as theists. At least not in the traditional sense of the word. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-03-2017, 05:24 AM
[Image: hlnwo.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
13-03-2017, 05:40 AM
(13-03-2017 05:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 09:54 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I was going to call you out on this statement because you're generalizing theists here, but then I remembered that I am a theist who was raised agnostic and secular. Blush

I'm still not sure I agree with you that Jews count as theists. At least not in the traditional sense of the word. Big Grin

That's why the term Judeo-Christian drives me nuts. It imposes a false association onto the Jews who have next to nothing in common with Christianity.
13-03-2017, 05:42 AM
(13-03-2017 05:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: hlnwo.gif]

I don't think you need to abandon the thread, but who doesn't enjoy seeing a little lovebird burrow itself into a nice pair of tits?
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
13-03-2017, 06:47 AM
(13-03-2017 05:42 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 05:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: hlnwo.gif]

I don't think you need to abandon the thread, but who doesn't enjoy seeing a little lovebird burrow itself into a nice pair of tits?

For a few seconds I thought the parrot thingy was a wriggly penis. Shocking