We will always be the 1%

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 12:59 AM
We will always be the 1%
Although Wikipedia says we arecurrently 2.3% of the worlds population,i strongly believe that we will always be the 1% of religions.Here's why,think back to when you were a follower of a certain religion and try to remember the feeling it gave you.My understanding of its effects is that it gave one a sense of safety,knowing life was in control somehow.It calmed you knowing that if you prayed to get rid of a disease or any other affliction,somebody would take care of it.
I spoke to a thiest yesterday who came out and told me,''You think,we dont know how crazy we sound,you think we dont see it...We do,its just that we have no choice,the feeling we get of dependance and reliability is the same feeling you have when you have medical insurance or a really good security system''

That statement is stil stuck in my head,i mean, i see the irony in being religious for the benefits but secretly being unsure of its existence.It then makes one think,will the doubtful in faith go to 'heaven' because they still go to church and pray because that to me sounds like atheism.We can all confess that we do sometimes question our actions of questioning a Superior being even if for one second.

Then i keep thinking why would anyone leave that feeling of insurance against (apparently) all perils.I have even spoken with priests and a major Archbishop who also dont believe everyn aspect of religion but claim that the belief in a God keeps you sane when in problems knowing that you dont have to handle all that yourself.To most theists,Atheists are just a bunch of Sad,giver-uppers with absolutely no meaning in Life because vwe choose to live without guidance thus without morals.
These thiests actually warn against atheists in church sermons and most of them listen because frankly who would want their kid to grow up with no morals.The real fact being that we're misunderstood completely without being given a chance to explain ourselves and i dont blame them,i have met (and i think we can all attest to this) atheists who are just negative,sick-of-life,always-bitching motherfuckers who make us all seem that way.Now,how many people do you know that can reject religion for atheism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 04:54 AM
RE: We will always be the 1%
Wailing on somebody we don't like may also make us feel better, but most of us know that the positive feeling from that experience isn't worth the price paid. The same with illegal drugs; they'll make us happy, but that doesn't mean we can't help but use them.

I remember the great feelings of belonging I had with The Church, but it doesn't compel me to join it again. You may be right -- we may never be able to overcome religion's dopamine-releasing effects -- but just because it makes people happy doesn't mean it's beyond our ability to minimize it or get rid of it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
19-06-2012, 05:39 AM
(19-06-2012 12:59 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  Here's why,think back to when you were a follower of a certain religion and try to remember the feeling it gave you.
I stopped reading after this. Not everyone has been part of a religion. Atheism since birth, baby! Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
19-06-2012, 08:11 AM
(19-06-2012 12:59 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  We can all confess that we do sometimes question our actions of questioning a Superior being even if for one second.
As of now, there has yet to be presented a single shred of evidence for the existence of God that would cause an Atheist to question his current position.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
19-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I disagree.

Atheism continues to grow. It's exponential. The growth starts small but as Atheists breed they pass on their lack of believe free thinking and so their kids grow up atheists etc.. you get the idea.
Give it 5-10-15-20years and that 2.3% would have at least doubled.

Look at this, this is Australia.

[Image: 500px-AustralianReligiousAffiliation.svg.png]

Canada, 1991 it was 12.6% 10 years later it was 16.5%

Look at this, this was here in 2006

[Image: percent-no-religion-by-age.gif?w=557&...p;amp;as=1]

This shows what I mean, the level of lack of belief in age groups.
35-30-20% non-believer populations giving birth to 45-50% non-believer populations.
20 years that 45-50% population will be giving birth to 70-80%.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
19-06-2012, 09:12 AM
When I saw 1%, I thought you were going to say we are the rich ones!

Where I live, 1 in 4 people are non-religious. In Europe and Down Under it's higher, I believe. And as earmuffs pointed out, the numbers are growing. It's not something I'm concerned about. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Each American generation seems to be less religious

[Image: 1494-1b.gif]
Of my 4 millennial adult children, 2 consider themselves as atheists, 1 a skeptical atheist/agnostic, the middle son still considers himself a Christian.

Religion is not a big deal for us at home - we rarely talk about it (at least in the way it gets debated in this forum). We truly let our kids decide for themselves and respect their positions.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Seasbury's post