"We will one day venture to the stars." True?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2016, 12:00 PM
"We will one day venture to the stars." True?
I've no idea. I question my confidence in the human animal.

What do you think of this?

I know well there are highly educated individuals here. I'd be interested in hearing or reading thoughts.

I look at politics today. The politics have not changed. The weapons have, just as they've done through time.

Every culture has or had it's doomsday narrative.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: "We will one day venture to the stars." True?
Probably. The cost would be immense. Just to launch a satellite that weighs about 5000 pounds into a Geostationary orbit is roughly half a billion dollars, US. That doesn't figure the cost of the actual satellite. Figuring you'd need to launch people and supplies at the minimum required for a life-sustaining gene pool (they'd have to reproduce en route), it's a lot of tonnage. Still, I think that we'll eventually go. It may be millennia before it happens, though.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
24-12-2016, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2016 12:33 PM by yakherder.)
If we don't, our synthetic descendants will after we die off.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
24-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Barring a seriously dramatic break through in technology any space faring will be one way with little or no chance of us learning their fate in our lifetimes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
24-12-2016, 12:34 PM
(24-12-2016 12:21 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Barring a seriously dramatic break through in technology any space faring will be one way with little or no chance of us learning their fate in our lifetimes.

(you know my "history" bent)

The above has happened. Therefore it should happen again. When? I do not know.

However will we get that far?

Must someone dig up the bones of Bertrand Russell? (actually, could be a good art piece)

There's a current Doomsday idea. As I said in my first post. I have already lived through nuclear years.

Been there, done that.

Please also understand, I, this poster, am attempting to catch up on 3 years. I've basically been in bed for 3 years. Nearly, anyway.

I am actually curious. It's a sincere thread. I made it with the best of intentions. I am also aware of my lack of education. Aside from the library. I only got what I could get. Not much.

However, on this site I, me?? have access to physicists! Ohmy

Mate, this is Dale. Chemo brain destroyed poster, who is wondering WTF is going on.

Confucius said "When in doubt, ask."

I'm asking.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-12-2016, 12:39 PM
If we'll go to ze stars?

As sure as Riker's gracious beard.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
24-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Bring a sci-fi fan I have to suspend my disbelief on a very high hook and just accept future technologies that we have no idea how to achieve at the moment. There again we had no idea how to achieve any of the techs we have now at some point in our racial history.

We have stretched physics beyond what even our fathers thought possible 100 years ago. We still have a long way to go with quantum mechanics and have not really started to even understand "dark energy".

At the moment though, yeah, it would take all the resources of the whole world for many decades to construct a "generation" colony ship in orbit, equip and man it. Just lifting enough materials, resources and bodies out of the gravity well . . .

Would it be less effort to use luna or asteroid sourced materials? Still got to get the building kit and staff up there.

Who knows what gifts CERN and other large scale experiments - or thousands of small teams all over the world - will bring. Providing the politicians, capitalists and industrialists allow civilisation enough time to do the job.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
24-12-2016, 01:28 PM
I know they are playing with the idea of a settlement on mars but, although they are pushing news and make it sound like it will be soon, I think it will take a while and it might not happen during our lifetimes.

I think that in the future it may be possible to venture our into space. Of course all depends on what kind of techonological revolutions we are going to have as the human race but there are some pretty cool ideas out there and I think in one or two hundred years there may be a way to have humans venturing towards other planets etc. Some "small" journeys you know, nothing fancy but I think it can happen.
That unless something extreme happens of course.

This is because humans have always had a fascination with the stars and space and they have fantasized for millenia what is going on up there. Nowadays we can look into the stars, we can find other planets, and we have people out in space. And our people out there are living there just ok, they are just not travelling yet.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
24-12-2016, 01:44 PM
I think the political hurdles could be nearly as high as the technological ones.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-12-2016, 01:49 PM
It boils down to the survival of the species at this point. Our collective idiotic behaviors put that firmly in question, IMO.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post