We witness neutron stars colliding for the first time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2017, 11:58 AM
We witness neutron stars colliding for the first time
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new...=onesignal

And adorably, such a large explosive catastrophic event "chirps" :3

If you weep at the loss of the sun, then your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Miscellaniac's post
16-10-2017, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2017 03:14 PM by Nikonulous.)
RE: We witness neutron stars colliding for the first time
And, without skipping a beat, my happy-clappy, Bible-waving coworker beams, "It's so nice when science catches up with the Bible!"

What the ACTUAL???? If I facepalm any harder, I'll give myself a concussion.

Someone please tell me which scripture (chapter and verse) predicted that hyper-dense objects orbiting each other set up gravitational waves in the fabric of space, and that those waves propagate at near the speed of light. I'd really like to know what Bible she's talking about.
[+] 3 users Like Nikonulous's post
17-10-2017, 08:38 AM
NASA's APOD site (a great site, by the way, with a different photo or video each day) has a video simulation of the event here:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171016.html
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Here is the video referenced in my previous post:

[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Gah space is so cool. While it's awesome to be living in the age in which we're taking our babysteps in spaceflight, I still find myself wishing I would get to be be around when we're out there deep amongst the cosmos.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
18-10-2017, 03:45 AM
(16-10-2017 01:48 PM)Nikonulous Wrote:  And, without skipping a beat, my happy-clappy, Bible-waving coworker beams, "It's so nice when science catches up with the Bible!"

What the ACTUAL???? If I facepalm any harder, I'll give myself a concussion.

Someone please tell me which scripture (chapter and verse) predicted that hyper-dense objects orbiting each other set up gravitational waves in the fabric of space, and that those waves propagate at near the speed of light. I'd really like to know what Bible she's talking about.

On a similar note, the UK had lots of dust particles in the air this week, causing the sky/the sun top appear red or yellow.

The amount of people who've said to me, and fully meaning what they've said, "Did you see the SUN TURN RED the other day?" as in, they literally think the sun itself turned red. My brain hurts trying to explain why this is not the case.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2017, 06:00 PM
(18-10-2017 03:45 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  On a similar note, the UK had lots of dust particles in the air this week, causing the sky/the sun top appear red or yellow.

The amount of people who've said to me, and fully meaning what they've said, "Did you see the SUN TURN RED the other day?" as in, they literally think the sun itself turned red. My brain hurts trying to explain why this is not the case.

Yeah, I don't know what the measure is gonna be here in Utah for the end of the world, because literally every summer there are fires in our state, and surrounding states that turn our sun blood red for weeks at a time...

Oh wait, yes I do...the angel Moroni statues on the Mormon temples are gonna come to life and blow their trumpets to the west to announce the return of Christ to Adam-ondi-Ahman in Jameson Missouri...silly me. How could I have forgotten Tongue Facepalm

If you weep at the loss of the sun, then your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
[+] 1 user Likes Miscellaniac's post