Weighing in on weighted blankets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Weighing in on weighted blankets
So, this was mentioned in my book (no idea how to translate it without readers thinking I'm just making shit up by this point... which I might or might not be Rolleyes ) and after a bit of googling, am now curious, as, apparently, they help with everything from insomnia to anxiety to autism.

Has anyone here tried weighted blankets and do they actually help, because the "scientific" explanations sound a bit woo-ey and they all come from the sites that actually sell those...

[Image: weighted-blanket-300x300.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2017, 10:24 AM
RE: Weighing in on weighted blankets
Not for me, I sleep under just a light sheet. Not a friend of blankets, so a weighted blanket would be worse in my book.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-07-2017, 10:31 AM
(26-07-2017 10:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  Not for me, I sleep under just a light sheet. Not a friend of blankets, so a weighted blanket would be worse in my book.

Well, seeing as I refuse to close my window even in winter*, I sleep under such a mountain of blankets and coverlets, I am positive they will one day crush me (unless the sentient murderous slippery sheets and blankets I've been subjected to in Brazil, don't strangle me first, that is Dodgy )

* Yep, with minus 20 outside, too; Issa lovely haiku becomes glaciers on the window, instead Rolleyes )

"adding to
my solitude...
frost on the window"

26-07-2017, 10:35 AM
(26-07-2017 10:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 10:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  Not for me, I sleep under just a light sheet. Not a friend of blankets, so a weighted blanket would be worse in my book.

Well, seeing as I refuse to close my window even in winter*, I sleep under such a mountain of blankets and coverlets, I am positive they will one day crush me (unless the sentient murderous slippery sheets and blankets I've been subjected to in Brazil, don't strangle me first, that is Dodgy )

* Yep, with minus 20 outside, too; Issa lovely haiku becomes glaciers on the window, instead Rolleyes )

"adding to
my solitude...
frost on the window"

That's how sleeping should be done. Like 30 below zero with 4 or 5 weighted blankets and a cat.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
26-07-2017, 10:36 AM
(26-07-2017 10:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  

"adding to
my solitude...
frost on the window"

Actually, I have an open window at night too. I just like it cold at night. I like it warm to hot during the day.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Looks like something the Jersey mafia would use.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-07-2017, 11:28 AM
(26-07-2017 10:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  That's how sleeping should be done. Like 30 below zero with 4 or 5 weighted blankets and a cat.

Don't you mean 4-5 yak hides? Rolleyes Amen to the rest of it, though, including the cat!

Nah, not too keen on hot during the day, either, Dom. (And yeah, I am aware I'm in freaking Brazil, you gotta compromise and the warmth of the people compensates for the warmth of the place ;-))

Are the Jersey mafia especially hip (a.k.a gormless) and into things like bulletproof coffee and kale cleanses, Girly? Or do they just like their euphemisms (who doesn't? Rolleyes )

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-07-2017, 11:52 AM
(26-07-2017 10:17 AM)Vera Wrote:  So, this was mentioned in my book (no idea how to translate it without readers thinking I'm just making shit up by this point... which I might or might not be Rolleyes ) and after a bit of googling, am now curious, as, apparently, they help with everything from insomnia to anxiety to autism.

Has anyone here tried weighted blankets and do they actually help, because the "scientific" explanations sound a bit woo-ey and they all come from the sites that actually sell those...

[Image: weighted-blanket-300x300.jpg]

(26-07-2017 10:17 AM)Vera Wrote:  they help with everything from insomnia to anxiety to autism.

The autism thing is interesting because I remember hearing on the radio an interview with an autistic doctor of animal science named Tempel Grandin. If you haven't ever heard of her here's a TED talk video of her.

https://www.ted.com/talks/temple_grandin...s_of_minds

There's a BBC special called "The Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow". She's absolutely fascinating.

Anyway, she grew up on a farm and studied the farm animals and would see the cows go through the stocks to be given shots. This aparatus would squeeze the cow so it wouldn't move while it was being given it's shot and Temple wanted to know what that squeezing thing felt like (for some odd reason) so she somehow created one for herself and set it up in her bedroom. I think she was something like 12 or 13 years old at this point but I could be wrong. So she makes this mini cow squeezing thing and found that it reduced her autistic anxiety greatly and made her feel safe.

SO anywaaaay....... this weighted blanket mentioned helping autism and it reminded me of Temple Grandin's cow squeezer. Wink

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-07-2017, 12:00 PM
We haven't used the weighted blankets that are for sale, but we do have a "heavy" quilt that everyone in the house heads for (once it's cool enough). My son, who is autistic, used a weighted vest in school for a while and it was considered helpful. Anecdotal evidence from my friends who are also parents of kids on the spectrum on weighted blankets has always been positive or neutral rather than negative.

We're all Aspergers/autistic. Personally, I find the extra sensory input of the heavy quilt to be calming. Not in this weather, though.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
26-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Hmmm...I do have a heavy blanket, and it does help me sleep better. It's just too hot right now to use it. Instead I curl up into my blankets and pull them up to my face to the point where it looks like I ought to suffocate.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/