Weighing in on weighted blankets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: Weighing in on weighted blankets
(26-07-2017 11:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Temple Grandin's cow squeezer.

Haha, this should *so* be a band name. A country band name. [Image: banjo.gif]

(Internet is currently too crappy for to watch videos...)

(26-07-2017 12:06 PM)Loom Wrote:  Hmmm...I do have a heavy blanket, and it does help me sleep better. It's just too hot right now to use it. Instead I curl up into my blankets and pull them up to my face to the point where it looks like I ought to suffocate.

I like to cover most of my head (sans nose), kinda feel... safer this way... like no one can read my thoughts (not that I'm actually worried people can read my thoughts. Paranoia is (most probably) not one of the myriad of ways my brains' messed up Rolleyes ) I really dislike and find it hard to relax and fall asleep if I'm not covered with at least a sheet, though it's a purely psychological thing, nothing to do with physical pressure.

Julep, that's interesting. I guess it does work for people on the autism spectrum, then... (still not convinced it works on all insomniacs though)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-07-2017, 12:17 PM
You can put me down as one who prefers a sheet or minimal blankets. I have trouble with sheets on hotel beds which are tucked in tight. I like to be able to throw a leg out like a radiator fin to cool off.

Never heard of these blankets before. Sounds like something Temple Grandin would have liked.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
26-07-2017, 12:19 PM
(26-07-2017 12:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  I like to cover most of my head (sans nose), kinda feel... safer this way... like no one can read my thoughts (not that I'm actually worried people can read my thoughts.

Yeah, after we went to all the trouble of putting that radio transmitter in when we filled your cavity it really doesn't help when you do this. Wink

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
26-07-2017, 12:29 PM
(26-07-2017 12:19 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Yeah, after we went to all the trouble of putting that radio transmitter in when we filled your cavity it really doesn't help when you do this. Wink

I was wondering what that clicking noise in my jaw is when I chew hazelnuts Shocking

And yeah, I like covering myself when I sleep (that came out kinda wrong!), but the weighted thing sort of looks like it'd make me feel trapped, like, get it off, get it OFF ME!

[Image: giphy.gif]

Coincidentally, I do have this reaction to the sun, as well Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-07-2017, 03:18 PM
In the summer, I don't want anything covering me, and even then, it can be too hot. I usually have a fan blowing on me in addition to being uncovered. Funny story, though -- a few nights ago, we had a relatively cool night, and I was dreaming that I was riding my bike in the middle of winter and freezing my ass off -- and then I woke up, and the fan blowing on me was uncomfortably cold. I had to get up and turn it off.

In the winter, though, I love snuggling up under a sheet, blanket, and two quilts. In general, I would much rather sleep in a cold room and get under the blanket than to need a fan to keep from sweating all night. It's the only thing I like better about winter.

I probably would not like a weighted blanket, though. Like whateverist, I like to be able to stick a leg out if it gets too hot -- or if I get a cramp in one of my legs, which is a very common occurrence. It's sheer torture to get a calf cramp and not be able to get your leg out of the blankets to straighten it out.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-07-2017, 03:56 PM
(26-07-2017 12:17 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I have trouble with sheets on hotel beds which are tucked in tight. I like to be able to throw a leg out like a radiator fin to cool off.

Oh my dog, don't remind me. Years of travelling and fighting hotel beds, those damn sheets are tucked under tightly. I come in for a spell after lunch and undo the sheets so I won't have to wrestle them in the evening. When I do get back in the evening, the sheets are tucked back under and there are chocolates on my pillow.

While I love the chocolate, it isn't enough to make up for my having to wrestle the freaking sheets again.

Sheets need to be loosely placed so that at any time one can stick out a leg or arm to regulate body temperature perfectly. I have tried sleeping with the sheets tucked in and found myself fighting them all night. I hate tucked in sheets!!!!!!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-07-2017, 05:09 PM
we tried it for my daughter (anxiety) and it does seem to help her sleep better.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
26-07-2017, 05:25 PM
(26-07-2017 05:09 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  we tried it for my daughter (anxiety) and it does seem to help her sleep better.

How old is she? You realize you're setting her up for kinky bondage sex fetishes in the future I hope.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Not for me. A light blanket is all I want. I am too claustrophobic to be 'trapped' under a heavy blanket. Sadcryface

I am content with a light blanket thrown over the middle of my body...legs and arms uncovered unless it's really chilly...then I might cover my arms.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-07-2017, 09:46 PM
I've never heard of these, but wouldn't even consider using one. Old-people-itis makes too many things ache and make me wonder if I am gout-ish. I don't need any more weight or gravity on this body.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post