Weird Argument Against Evolution...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Weird Argument Against Evolution...?
I got a really weird argument from a creationist today...

"Natural selection isn't evolution. And since natural selection is the foundation of evolution, evolution is falsified."

I know what I think and how I responded...what do you guys think?

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
RE: Weird Argument Against Evolution...?
(02-04-2012 10:26 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  I got a really weird argument from a creationist today...

"Natural selection isn't evolution. And since natural selection is the foundation of evolution, evolution is falsified."

That’s circular reasoning.
there's more to evolution then just natural selection.

Apples aren’t bananas, and since bananas are fruit, apples aren't Blink

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Observer's post
02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I think I am confused... but not as confused as that person.

I thought initially that person must evolution means its your religion where you praise Darwin and make science holy, but I bet it's just a poorly constructed way of stating the Micro/Macro myth. Saying natural selection is just micro evolution. It's just the selective tiny bubble worldview that wont imagine things before their current existence.
03-04-2012, 03:03 AM
(02-04-2012 10:47 PM)Observer Wrote:  Apples aren’t bananas, and since bananas are fruit, apples aren't Blink
... which just proves that sophistry does not have to be sophisticated

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-04-2012, 03:12 AM
[Image: circular.gif]

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Eternal's post
03-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Da fuck? Tongue

Prolly should stop hanging with creationists lest you find yerself selected against. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
03-04-2012, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 05:24 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-04-2012 10:26 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  I got a really weird argument from a creationist today...

I'm not sure it's really circular. The premise is simply nonsensical/false. Therefore the conclusion is false. Natural selection is one of the mechanisms of evolution, (and has NOT been falsified). In order to be circular, it would have to say something like, "evolution is falsified, because natural selection is falsified, and natural selection is falsified, because we know evolution is falsified. The statement does not say natural selection is false. I think it's more just a non-sequtur, or a propositional fallacy, of affirming a disjuct, (but I may be wrong). Tongue It's like saying : Your brother is not your father. Your father is in your family. Therefore your brother is NOT in your family.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
(03-04-2012 05:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm not sure it's really circular. The premise is simply nonsensical/false. Therefore the conclusion is false. Natural selection is one of the mechanisms of evolution, (and has NOT been falsified).
This is what I pointed out to them.

"What? This doesn't even make sense. Natural Selection is the mechanism by which evolution happens. Evolution simply means "change over time" and in the case of BIOLOGICAL Evolution, changes happen very slowly over many generations. Those changes are the result of selection; natural or unnatural. Basically, your statement is completely nonsense."

I agree that it wasn't completely circular, so I wasn't sure how to categorize it.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
03-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Natural Selection is indeed true. Darwinian evolution, however, is not totally true (hence the modern Evolution theory). Anyway. Stop hanging owt wit teh Creationists, dey be poysunus to da eers.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
03-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Ya know. I had something really enlightening to say but once I typed 3 words I lost it and couldn't put it back together. It was like Humpty Dumpty.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain